RHODE MARCH ON

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
black and red exile
All Star

RHODE MARCH ON

Post by black and red exile »

A hard fought win today by the village on a score of 1.11 to 1.7. First half was crap, half time 1.3 to 0.3 to Rhode with Niall Mac blasting a penalty to the net, Niall took alot of hardship today, he still kicked 1.6[1.4 from placed balls] he did kick 2 beauties from play in the second half including a screamer right at the end which again proved the sheer class of the guy. This was a tough scrappy game and with just minutes remaining Rhode were just a point up with the Carlow champions throwing everything at them and with the home crowd in full voice we had visions of Coolderrygate happening all over again but our football champions have something our hurling champions don't have and that's stomach, dug deep and added a couple of late scores to run out 4 point winners.
This type of performance won't do in Navan in 2 weeks but at least they can work to get it right in the next fortnight, the full back line is very dodgy under the high ball [ the Old Leighlin goal came from a long punt on top of the full back line that failed miserably to deal with it and the next thing it's in the net, the midfield of Super and Mark Dunne although worked very hard still struggled at times against the Carlow pair and with the likes of Kilmacud in full flow it's difficult to see how Rhode could counteract these problem areas but first thing first and that is Skryne in 2 weeks.

townman
All Star

Re: RHODE MARCH ON

Post by townman »

Good win for Rhode and Niall MC doing the damage again they will also get it hard in Navan in two week's time
as for Rhode having the stomach for it we will just have to wait and see black and red exile about that one
if my memory services me right they lost two leinster final's to moorefield and kilmacud crokes when the games
were there to be won they didn't have the belly, so its good to see that they have that in there team now
sunday week will tell us in the that graveyard for offaly football in navan .

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Gerry on the Radio was telling us all about Rhode v O'Loughlin Gaels. Oops. :oops:

So how did Brian Hogan and Martn Comerford get on? :D :D
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Funnily enough POTH they were nowhere to be seen, they were not even on the subs bench, the pair of them must have been injured :lol: :lol: Good old Gerry Russell he is a legend, brilliant :lol: :lol:

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

A good win in the end, alot of sloppy play by Rhode kept O'Loughlins in it, the goal at the restart was awful. The ref from Laois was bloody brutal. I thought that Anton was brilliant with his runs out of defence. Its never easy to win IN Dr Cullen Park and roll on Skryne
Be careful out their

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Well done to Rhode, they might have made very hard work of it but in fairness they got through it and were very deserving winners. They should of won the game alot more comfortably. The full back line is a worry still. I can see Darby getting caught out, he plays a very dangerous game from the front which means he looks excellent when he wins ball but if there is good distribution from out the field he is going to be caught out for goals. His size prevents him from competing 50/50 so he attacks every ball and does it very well but if Skryne pump in some good high ball Rhode could be in trouble. Midfield will have to up their game, I thought Leighlins won too much around there and got forward a bit without being tracked also.

Rhode have what it takes to beat skyrne. No question about that. But they will have to play better than they have the last two seasons. O' Rourke, Giles and Davis have to be cleaned out on the half forward line as they pose a major ball winning threat. Kevin Mulvanney is well able to take a score inside and hopefully Darby can sniff him out.

Niall was on fire again. Really is exceptionally talented. The fear now is he will be watched big time in the semi and Rhode need some others to chip in a bit more.

Anton can easily pick off a few scores. One thing against him though, he is going to get himself killed one of these days. Too often he gets lippy with players and sneering at them. He has the talent and doesnt need to be at that because he is the type of player that is wide open to getting cleaned with his runs. I like seeing him closer to goal, he poses a real threat and takes the heat off Niall a bit.

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

Very quiet on this topic.

I would fancy Rhode due to the fact that Meath football have never really produced decent Senior champions(Richie Kealy's Dunshaughlin team of ten years ago aside). Skryne though are strong all round and put 21 scores on the board against Senechalstown in the Royal decider. No mean feat. They wouldn't have been fancied more than Senechalstown, O' Mahony's, Wolfe Tones and probably Summerhill and Donaghmore/Ashbourne too at the start of the year. Liam Harnan is well regarded in coaching circles.

I presume it's around evens in the betting? The home advantage bringing value to the Village.
Tom Coffey's putting 20 hours a week in to this so if he lines out Brian Darby full back and lets Skryne drive balls in on top of Meath goalkeeper Paddy O' Rourke he deserves nothing but abuse!

Not sure who the Village will have out :?: :?: :?: but if they have a fit Roy Malone and Jack Kilmurray they will still have enough.
Satisfying the appetite for the Leinster is an altogether different matter :!: :)
Last edited by Silken Thomas on Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

Darby will be centre back on Giles.... Id say Shane Sullivan will pick up O'Rourke

Black Spot
Junior A

Post by Black Spot »

Hope rhode do the business sunday but i cant see it being easy.To be honest dont know anything about this Skryne team other than the have Trevor Giles and the orourkes lining out for them .That and the fact that the won the Meath championship so impresivally by scoring 21 points suggests they wont be to bad.

Heard they didnt look overly impressive against the wexford champions but in my openion rhode didnt look overly impressive against the carlow champions either.
Hopfully the lads can get over this test and win the leinster they trew away in parnell park a couple of years ago :D . best of luck to them.
Any one any idea what way Rhode are linning out?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Rhode ahead by 4 with a couple of minutes left.
It was looking hairy when Skyrne got it back to a point with a goal.
Some fella called Rye Malone goaled for Rhode though.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

All over now 2-11 to 1-10 was the final score.

bazza
All Star

Post by bazza »

Certainly a great victory!

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Rhode to meet Kilmacud Crokes, who beat Garrycastle in the other semi final today, in the Leinster final in Portlaoise in two weeks time.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Yes well done to Rhode. Another Leinster final and hopefully they can get over the line this time. They should'nt fear Kilmacud and are well capable of beating them.

Rhode came very close in their last meeting with a disputed goal and bad goalkeeping mostly to blame for the loss that day. However the fact Rhode only kicked one point in the second half of that game also played a big part having led by 6 at half time albeit having played with a slight wind adavantage.Rhode got too caution in the second half and invited Kilmacud onto them, playing too deep and too defensive. The worry is there was similarities to that at the weekend. Rhode seem to lack the confidence to kill off these so called big guns I think. In Offaly I dont think they have such fears and rarely sit back on a lead when they get ahead. I'd like to see them bring that same attitude to this game and hopefully when they smell blood, to finish off the opposition. The Dub outfit have a large contingent of county players from in and outside the county. But they should not be feared. Brian Kavangh struggled against Jack Kilmurray last time but will be interesting to see who picks him up this time. Vaughan is a bit overweight at the moment but still can poach so concentration is vital. last time out Niall destroyed Griffen and had the beating of Ross O' Carroll until the supply dried up. O' Carroll more noted as a hurler is a big lad who will compete well under high ball and I expect him to pick up Niall. Anton roasted Lambe the last time and equally caused problems for Rory O' Carroll. Niall Darby had the beating of Cian O' Sullivan and Glen O' Connell had Nolan under pressure. Nolan likes to attack but is a complete liability as he leaves so much space in defence. Its an area Rhode should hope to exploit. Rhode need all these guys pulling their weight as Niall is going to be a marked man.

I dont know if Wexford player Adrian Morrisey is available. He missed the semi through suspension but he may return to half forward line. Heavey had a great game on him last time and if Morrisey plays Heavey is well capable to clean him out. Burke is another player that will work very hard. Keeping the likes of these two players out of the game will be important and as always in these big games, Midfield is critical.

I think Rhode deserve to win a Leinster, but that counts for nothing they have to go out and grab it. Kilmacud are quiet an arrogant crowd, they wont say it too loudly but they think they have this wrapped up. Best of luck to Rhode.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Long John wrote: Rhode came very close in their last meeting with a disputed goal and bad goalkeeping mostly to blame for the loss that day. However the fact Rhode only kicked one point in the second half of that game also played a big part having led by 6 at half time albeit having played with a slight wind adavantage.Rhode got too caution in the second half and invited Kilmacud onto them, playing too deep and too defensive. The worry is there was similarities to that at the weekend. Rhode seem to lack the confidence to kill off these so called big guns I think. In Offaly I dont think they have such fears and rarely sit back on a lead when they get ahead. I'd like to see them bring that same attitude to this game and hopefully when they smell blood, to finish off the opposition.
Worse still, Kilmacud were down to 14 men from early on the game. Rhode did a Devon Loch on it that day, they should never have lost that game.

Footballing ability wise Rhode, were more than good enough to win the All Ireland that year, I don't think they are quite as strong this time, but they have a decent chance in the Leinster final.