Kilcormac lodge an objection to semi-final fiasco

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Kilcormac lodge an objection to semi-final fiasco

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

From today's Indo
Elsewhere, the fractious conclusion to one of the county semi-finals last weekend could yet disrupt the Offaly SHC final between Tullamore and Coolderry tomorrow week after Kilcormac/Killoughey lodged an objection to their three-point semi-final defeat.

Three players -- one from Tullamore -- were sent off in the second half of the encounter and Kilcormac/Killoughey have claimed that one sending off was a case of mistaken identity by the match referee.

- Cliona Foley
http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling ... 71919.html

So now what? Does the Final get deferred until the committee's have gone through the phases? I'd be astonished if the referee's report wasn't adopted, and at this stage I can't see the appeal being successful. It's tough on both Coolderry and Tullamore, who will have their County Final preparations interrupted in a cloud of uncertainty now.

I suppose it defers the now-annual rumours of a divorce between kilcormac and killoughey until after all this has settled down.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Kilcormac lodge an objection to semi-final fiasco

Post by bracknaghboy »

Beaten teams need to let go of these things. Its over its done with move on. So lets say they were let back in and won it outright......what good would that be to anyone? Lets say Louth had have been awarded the Leinster final or granted a replay against Meath......how hollow would that have been? Dreadful from Kilcormac to be at this. What on earth is it going to achieve? All this is going to do is hold up the county final longer now. The county board will need to bring this to a quick conclusion early this week!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Hope the county board deal with this and kick it out, K/K have a cheek looking for it to be replayed
after the carry on of some of their mentors and supporter last sunday, sh.t happens K/K yer out of the championship
move on only making people having a dislike to the club with this rubbish. :oops:

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

townman wrote:Hope the county board deal with this and kick it out, K/K have a cheek looking for it to be replayed
after the carry on of some of their mentors and supporter last sunday, sh.t happens K/K yer out of the championship
move on only making people having a dislike to the club with this rubbish.
Agree 100% with you townman, this should be left where it lay, the slightly better team won and KK will only lose credibility and neutral support for pursuing this.
Jas it doesnt sit easy with them that tullamore are a better team does it?
First ball is when you make your mark

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

GOOFY wrote:
townman wrote:Hope the county board deal with this and kick it out, K/K have a cheek looking for it to be replayed
move on only making people having a dislike to the club with this rubbish.
Agree 100% with you townman, this should be left where it lay, the slightly better team won and KK will only lose credibility and neutral support for pursuing this.
Jas it doesnt sit easy with them that tullamore are a better team does it?
lads, let's be honest here I don't think anyone from KK expects to get a replay out of this. I think the main reason
is to show up the county board for appointing possibly the two worst refs in the county to officiate at the 2 senior semi
finals. KK have been walked on long enough by the county board and it's time the stood up to them. Remember a few years ago the u21 final between themselves and Birr was fixed a few days before the leaving cert started and the county board wouldn't refix eventhough birr were happy to play some other time.

All KK are looking for is fair play which they didn't get last Sunday. Them lads trained 3 or 4 nights a week for the last say 8 months and to be done out of it in that way is not right. Some of ye are saying ye should take it and get on with it. They have every right to appeal. Why doesn't tullamore take kevin martin suspension and get on with it. Finally, best of luck Coolderry!

faithfullad
Senior

Post by faithfullad »

Kilcormace can feel hard done by(Red card fiasco), but lets be honest this is utterly pointless. Tullamore are in the final and that's that.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Kilcormac/Kiloughey had enough chances to win that game, but didn't take them.
They should move on, and let the final go ahead.

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

K/K should be given the rightful punishment for the pointless appeal... No home games next year. It wasnt the ref that made them miss the 1 on 1's or hit wide after wide in the first half, or made Healion strike Conlon, or made Slevin have a run on the dinger, or made their supporters come in off the stand, or made their supporters and players go after the ref. If it was Birr or Coolderry they wouldn't say a word but because its lowly old football town Tullamore they think they have a devine right to beat us. We beat them last year, we beat them this year and we'll beat them again if we have to.

We are going for 2 in a row and if we get it, fantastic. If we don't,then i will salute this group of players as they have put us back on the hurling map

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I can't understand what K/K are at here. The fact that they didn't take this action straight away suggests that this wasn't even a heat of the moment action, which would be slightly forgivable, even if no less incorrect. I don't claim to know what their thinking is, but they must know that it comes across like sour grapes.

I cannot conceive of what possible grounds there are for overturning here. Even leaving out the ethics of the situation, whether it was mistaken identity or not matters not a jot. Mistaken identity might see Ciarán Slevin have a suspension overturned if he was entitled to it, but it would never see a result annulled. Dinger obviously believes he saw someone with a blue helmet do something worthy of a yellow card, and whether that player was Lee or Slevin, K/K would have been down to 14 either way. Even if it was another player entirely, it wouldn't be the first incorrect sending off in hurling and neither will it be the last, but none will see a match result voided. Of course the injury time minutes were woefully inadequate, but there's nothing in the rules for that, so I don't know what K/K think this whole process might achieve. I only hope that it doesn't result in the final being deferred. Tullamore and Coolderry have earned their places in the decider and they should be preparing for a game on Sunday, not wondering whether or not it will go ahead.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

trueblue78
Junior C

Post by trueblue78 »

From what I hear this has already been thrown out by the county board. Anyone know if that's true.
Secondly if Kilcormac went out to actually hurl against Tullamore in the second half and not go to through to rough the townies
They'd have won the game.
Also if they didnt' complain that the first seconding off was wrong then the right man eamonn lee who fouled kelly was being sent off and slevin would not have been sent off. The reason they complained was they were partaking in gamesmanship and were trying to get a player who had not already been booked a yellow card, that backfired and slevin got sent off either way it's Kilcormac's fault

the fourth offical
Junior C

Post by the fourth offical »

well from where i was standing on that day when tullamore beat k/k the right man got the line on the slevin feasco otherwise why did he slope off over to the other side under the stand to avoid recogination for his actions just as the healion chap did when he struck conlon he was in his own half back line gulty as sin :x

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

This hurling supporter has no problem whatsoever with K/K objecting to the result of the semi-final. A fiasco is how POTH puts it and rightfully so. I'm not sure on what grounds K/K are objecting, perhaps it's the fact that Eamon Lee was shown a red card yet remained on the field, but for whatever the reason it's good to see them make a stand at the very least.

Too often in the GAA an on-field scandal occurs only for nothing to be done as 'its not catered for in the rule book' or 'the referees report is final'. Despite much wailing and gnashing of teeth at the time, the incident in question at the time is eventually forgotten - only to be repeated again some time in the future.

The chances of K/K achieving anything with this objection are extremely slim, perhaps non-existant, but at least they're doing their part by focusing the attention back on the County Board. By creating a 'bit of a stir', by not lying down and rolling over, they are at least increasing the chances that the County Board will take notice about what happened in that game and take steps to ensure it does not happen again. Whether that requires a change in officiating personell or the rules or both, then so be it.

And to all who espouse the notion that 'K/K' got what they deserved for not taking their chances in the first half' , or something similar, then desist. The punishment for not taking your chances at any point in a game is the score on the scoreboard. There it ends. Hitting wides does not mean that that team is suddenly deserving of some sort of extra punishment such as a complete lack of extra time. To suggest otherwise is just lazy, useless revisionism.
Last edited by GreatDayForTheParish on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Thank you GDFTP for your last post.... As I said previously KK don't expect to get a replay
I reckon the main reason is to show up the incompetence of this county board. Change is badly needed
among this hierarchy. Obviously if KK sent an appeal in they would be quoting some rules that were not applied
during this match and the reason it didn't go in straight away was because they would have thought long
and hard about it. It's to ensure this fiasco doesn't occur again. In response to "ditch hurler" saying they should
be punished, are u for real?! "no home games next year" well unlike ye other clubs have to play in neutral venues
anyway!! Reckon there will be plenty of sunshine supporters around on Sunday just like you...

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Outrageous.

Why could this not have been done the Monday after the game?

Utterly disruptive to the finalists that this has surfaced so late and smacks of real bad taste. Removes whatever goodwill and sympathy would have been due to them otherwise.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

K/K are entitled to protest and I understand (Brendan?)* Mahon made an impassioned, almost emotional case at last Tuesday’s County board delegate meeting.

However, not lodging the objection in a more timely manner seems to me to be mainly borne out of spite. A grand way to run your business. There are other ways to protest - for instance they could have lodged a no-confidence motion in the fixtures commit-tee which wouldn't have caused interruption to Coolderry or Tullamore. But then they probably never thought of that.

*I think that's his first name - my apologies if it isn't.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.