Latter Stages of Junior A

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
In the long grass
Senior

Latter Stages of Junior A

Post by In the long grass »

Quarter Final draws have been finalised after the last round of games were played last nite with victories for clonmore harps over tullamore and killeigh over gracefield. Q/F's due to be played this weekend:

Kilcormac/Killoughy v Tullamore
Daingean v Edenderry
Cappincur v Clonmore Harps
Shamrocks v St. Sinchills

I fancy K/K, Daingean, Cappincur and Killeigh to make it through, winner gonna really depend on semi draw then between k/k daingean and cappincur. Killeigh will be in bonus territory I feel.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Latter Stages of Junior A

Post by Lone Shark »

In the long grass wrote:Quarter Final draws have been finalised after the last round of games were played last nite with victories for clonmore harps over tullamore and killeigh over gracefield. Q/F's due to be played this weekend:

Kilcormac/Killoughy v Tullamore
Daingean v Edenderry
Cappincur v Clonmore Harps
Shamrocks v St. Sinchills

I fancy K/K, Daingean, Cappincur and Killeigh to make it through, winner gonna really depend on semi draw then between k/k daingean and cappincur. Killeigh will be in bonus territory I feel.
I'd go along with most of that, except that I can see Tullamore coming very close to K/K, while I'd edge towards Shamrocks over Killeigh as well.

In terms of the overall, I'd say it's Daingean's to lose myself. They're a young team that should be improving with every game, while it's hard to see that Capincur will be any better than in previous years, when they were competitive but ultimately not good enough. Tullamore or K/K could catch Daingean on an off day but I'd make the maroons odds on from here, even allowing for a tricky draw.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

the fridge
Junior C

Post by the fridge »

just wondering how places are decided when teams finish level on points .is it head to head result or overall points diff

In the long grass
Senior

John Greene suspended for 3 months could be a factor between daingean winning and losing the championship though. Tullamore have struggled, losing to both harps, shamrocks and daingean but you never know who might start playing for them now that they are in knockout stages! :P

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

In the long grass wrote:John Greene suspended for 3 months could be a factor between daingean winning and losing the championship though. Tullamore have struggled, losing to both harps, shamrocks and daingean but you never know who might start playing for them now that they are in knockout stages! :P
Two or three years ago I'd agree with you but I remember watching Daingean a few times last year and thinking that while Greene is obviously great for leadership etc., he's only one of a good overall forward line now - plenty of those Daingean forwards are much more dangerous by now in terms of scoring potential.

As for Tullamore losing to the Harps, I'd disregard that result - Tullamore knew that avoiding a double digit defeat was enough to get into the quarters - human nature is that when you are three or four points behind and that's good enough, you won't go chasing after a win. It's hard on Ballinagar the way things worked out, but you couldn't blame Tullamore for that.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

In the long grass wrote:John Greene suspended for 3 months could be a factor between daingean winning and losing the championship though. Tullamore have struggled, losing to both harps, shamrocks and daingean but you never know who might start playing for them now that they are in knockout stages! :P
What did Greene do to get the 3 months? Daingean/Edenderry has the makings of a nice littlle game with plenty of niggle I'd say.

In the long grass
Senior

yea final standings based on head to head. clonmore and shamrocks finished on level points, clonmore finished with a better scoring difference than shamrocks but it didnt matter as their head to head was all that counted.

On the other matter, Greene got the suspension from the clonmore game. Not sure of the details but must have been substantial to warrant a hefty 3 month suspension!

toughtackler
Junior A

Post by toughtackler »

bracknaghboy wrote:
What did Greene do to get the 3 months? Daingean/Edenderry has the makings of a nice littlle game with plenty of niggle I'd say.

I believe Tom Darby was reffin the match and Greene verbally abused him......Called him for everything!!!

offalyman
Senior

Post by offalyman »

i wouldnt blame john greene because tom darby is the worst referee in the county....

toughtackler
Junior A

Post by toughtackler »

offalyman wrote:i wouldnt blame john greene because tom darby is the worst referee in the county....
I've seen him at his best!!!!!!You could be murdered and you wouldn't get a free...He's not on his own though!!!Plenty of bad ones in Offaly

In the long grass
Senior

Another article in the tribune today about a bad refereeing display an the lusmagh coolderry game! :roll:

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

toughtackler wrote: You could be murdered and you wouldn't get a free...
Says the toughtackler :lol:

hard2watch
Junior A

Post by hard2watch »

I told yis all before..Tom Darby is useless..an idiot.

toughtackler
Junior A

Post by toughtackler »

bracknaghboy wrote:
toughtackler wrote: You could be murdered and you wouldn't get a free...
Says the toughtackler :lol:

Tough 90% of the time and sneakily dirty 10%!!!Haven't been caught yet!!!!!!!

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Winnersat weekend:
Kilcormac/Killoughey, Daingean, and Cappincur: Killeigh to end Shamrock's dream.