Latter Stages of Junior A

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Georgio1
All Star

Re: Latter Stages of Junior A

Post by Georgio1 »

If Greene concentrated on football a little more he would serve Daingean a lot better. I have seen him in action plenty of times, with him biting a chap once being his lowest act! Yes! Biting! So to say he has been a loyal servant? He plays on the edge and was caught and deserves his punishment.
But would like to wish Daingean all the best as would be far better for football to see them win than Tullamore!

hard2watch
Junior A

Post by hard2watch »

Dont know why u say Daingean or Tullamore,sure Clonmore beat both of these already.As for the biting,every player could be reminded of doing something in the heat of the moment in a game so thats a bit harsh,he,s a winner and will do what he has to do..He had a hearing this evening but i wudnt be too confident of the outcome of that as i heard asshole Darby wrote in a much exagerrated report on the incident.Anyways may the best team win saturday and i see the winners coming from this encounter.

Black Spot
Junior A

Post by Black Spot »

Was at that Daingean and Clonmore game was a poor enough game and daingean really played into clonmores hands and got sucked into a dog fight wich amazed me because they are a small enough but very fast team.
It seemed that greene hit the clonmore man a box into the face out of pure frustration it was dirty and deserved a red and the usual month and game in my opinion .
TRUEGAEL wrote:i was at that game that and seen what he did and i know the chap he hit.he received 7 stitchs in his face from the belt he got,so if you think 4 weeks is enough for an act like that then fair play to you hard2watch,and he also verbal abused darby saying he would brake every bone in his body
I dont Know what he said to the ref or know the player but If this was the case then he deserves all he gets.

Georgio made the point that he bit someone and thats the lowest of the low and he probably has now earned himself a bit of a reputation but i think he should be punished only for the clonmore game incident.
A player who has a bad reputation like Mattie Ford or Mark Vaughen for example often find themselfes being punished more severely and have nobody to blame but themselfes but fair play should prevail and its in the hands of Darby now .

Darby is only human at the end of the day and i think people should respect his decision . Hard To Watch in particular maybe should become a ref yourself might not be as found to criticise then.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Semi Final. Shamrocks 4-8: Tullamore 0-8.
Shamrocks ran riot in the second half, scoring 4-3. 3 goals in first 15 mins killed off game, first was on o.g, second and third followed in quick succession. Tullamore out of sorts all over the field, fourth goal came at the end.
Shamrocks played very well, on top at midfield.
The first half was even, 0-5 each at half time. Tullamore dominated just before the break but failed to take their chances.

Harps Man
Junior A

Post by Harps Man »

semi-final clonmore harps 2-11 daingean 0-8
i think this scoreline says it all! some1 said clonmore beat daingean earlier in the year because of the long grass,the local ref[who lives in daingean!],this game was played in ballyfore on a very well presented pitch,clonmore won both games because they were the better team, scoreing 2-9 from play to daingeans 0-5 today,a close game in the first half with the score 0-5 apeice at half time but the sec half was all clonmores, scoreing 2-6.to everone who wrote off clonmore i say maby its about time yee stood back and had a look at this team and judge them on their football and their committment to football,we only won jr b champ 2 yrs ago,got to a leauge final last yr,in leauge semi-final and county final this year,so maby its about time our neighbours gave us some support instead of running us down as the little club beside rhode,cause at the moment we are getting more support from ballinabrackey [a meath club,but in our parish] than from our neghbours.

Harps Man
Junior A

Post by Harps Man »

lostinjuniora wrote:Clonmore Rejects will try to bully their way past Cappincur but shouldn't have a hope because they will have to play in a pitch with nice short grass, a neutral venue away from like their own s*it-hole of a pitch, and their local referee
beat daingean on a s*ithole of a pitch by 2 pts!
beat cappincur on a brilliant pitch by 2 pts!
beat daingean on a excellant pitch by 9 pts!
see any pattern here? answer=clonmore are winning games on whatever ground they play on and no matter what ref it is

toughtackler
Junior A

Post by toughtackler »

"so maby its about time our neighbours gave us some support instead of running us down as the little club beside rhode,cause at the moment we are getting more support from ballinabrackey [a meath club,but in our parish] than from our neghbours"

To harps man....don't know whether you're getting a dig at Rhode or Edenderry people there but you'd wanna cop on,There are alot of people in Edenderry that are glad to see ye there....Me included...I love the fact that a so called 'weaker team' have surprised everyone and are in a county final.To me It's no surprise this bunch of lads are there......They'd die for one and other and that is just pure team spirit.You can't buy this.I hope they go on and win the f****n thing cause it will shut the so-called bigger teams up.Daingean are a spent force....no spine and are still expected to win every year.They beat a weakened Edenderry team by 20 odd points....Cockiness will get you nowhere...spirit and determination will.....Best of luck in the final...As a red I'll be shouting for ye,along with most of the town!!!!!!!!

Harps Man
Junior A

Post by Harps Man »

toughtackler wrote:"so maby its about time our neighbours gave us some support instead of running us down as the little club beside rhode,cause at the moment we are getting more support from ballinabrackey [a meath club,but in our parish] than from our neghbours"

To harps man....don't know whether you're getting a dig at Rhode or Edenderry people there but you'd wanna cop on,There are alot of people in Edenderry that are glad to see ye there....Me included...I love the fact that a so called 'weaker team' have surprised everyone and are in a county final.To me It's no surprise this bunch of lads are there......They'd die for one and other and that is just pure team spirit.You can't buy this.I hope they go on and win the f****n thing cause it will shut the so-called bigger teams up.Daingean are a spent force....no spine and are still expected to win every year.They beat a weakened Edenderry team by 20 odd points....Cockiness will get you nowhere...spirit and determination will.....Best of luck in the final...As a red I'll be shouting for ye,along with most of the town!!!!!!!!
def not a dig at edenderry,i'll say no more bout any other club,i have seen people from edenderry at a few of our games and the support is realy welcomed by everone in clonmore,it just piss's me off that as a small club some people seem to think we've no right to be there,hopefully we'll keep proveing them wrong by keeping winning

TRUEGAEL
Junior A

Post by TRUEGAEL »

was at the clonmore harps and daingean game,daingean just didnt want to fight for the dirty ball in the 2nd half.clonmore are a no nonsense team with a huge work ethic,that along with a few class players like jimmy foy they will be very hard beaten in the final.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I was at the Clonmore Harps \ Ferbane games this year and last and I have to say I'd loved the spirit of the club. The passion was just oozing out of them, to their detriment sometimes, but it was great to see. They reminded me of that RTE show that was on last year about the crowd on the island off Mayo, it means so much to them and it's refreshing to see.

What I'd say to you Harps man is f*ck the rest of the clubs, ye're in it together yourselves!
The night is darkest before the dawn

In the long grass
Senior

Post by In the long grass »

At the outset Daingean, K/K, Tullamore and Cappincur would have been the outright favourites in many peoples eyes, including my own! Never could have imagined either Clonmore or Shamrocks in the final but there ya go! Fair play to both teams>

Really shows up the fact that none of the teams in Daingean parish have anything in them to get over the finished line, or even near it for that matter. I am from inside the parish myself and would dearly love a senior team, I have often thought if I win the lotto I would finance the bloody thing myself and sort out that element and then the powers that be could do what is best for county and dismantle all 4 individual teams because I really cant see any of them getting back to senior in the forseeable future.

Harps Man
Junior A

Post by Harps Man »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:I was at the Clonmore Harps \ Ferbane games this year and last and I have to say I'd loved the spirit of the club. The passion was just oozing out of them, to their detriment sometimes, but it was great to see. They reminded me of that RTE show that was on last year about the crowd on the island off Mayo, it means so much to them and it's refreshing to see.

What I'd say to you Harps man is f*ck the rest of the clubs, ye're in it together yourselves!
thanks 'themanfromferbane',its nice to know that some people look at us that way,thanks again

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

"Hard2Watch", you should change that to "hard2understand"!!!

So biting a player is ok then? You were on thin ground trying to defend Greene in the first instance. He is a winner? So he gets himself sent off and ruled out of the rest of the championship. Dont get me wrong, Greene is a decent sort off the pitch, but has a thuggish streak on the field. Darby is a disaster alright, but no point in blaming him for Greenes absence on this occasion.
No bottle in Daingean, or for that matter any of the teams in the Daingean parish. I would say all 4 teams could have ended up in Junior A next year but for the fact that Kilclonfert were spared the relegation fight because of Claras request to go down. And with Tullamore, KK, Clara all in Junior A next year, looks like its Daingeans home for the next few years.

And before all the usual guff about a Parish team, reflect on the state of the clubs now!!
IMO.....
If a parish set up is to go ahead, it must be complete, ie disband the 4 clubs, and send in 4 Parish teams in Senior down until we find our level. This way finance and administration will be sorted quickly, also will enable the Senior team to be prepared together without the pull from clubs.
It cant and wont work the other way, (ie keep the clubs, there will be way to much politics), plus our fixtures committee in Offaly could not handle it properly. And lads lets not quote Kerry, as they have very little hurling to add to the confusion.

I would not agree with a parish team as I suspect for every 1 county player, you could lose 20 to the game completely.

Also, if any of you guys know Mark Mangan,Paul Lambe,Pater DAly, Ger Treacy, Matty Brazil,Jamie Hayes, do you really think any of these guys who are the best players, do you really think they have the ability and desire to play county. Although some have played minor for Offaly, have/will any of them play u21? Dont mean to be hard on these guys, but these guys could all have been on u21 panels in the last 2 years regardless of the grade of club football they are currently playingand chose not to commit. That is the real problem my friends!

In the long grass
Senior

Post by In the long grass »

Also, if any of you guys know Mark Mangan,Paul Lambe,Pater DAly, Ger Treacy, Matty Brazil,Jamie Hayes, do you really think any of these guys who are the best players, do you really think they have the ability and desire to play county. Although some have played minor for Offaly, have/will any of them play u21?
St. Vincents have always had players involved with Offaly U-21s. Last year alone they had Noel Andrew Graham, Jamie Hayes, Liam Brennan and David Carroll on the panel. Enda Daly has been involved before along with Ger Treacy and Matty Brazil aswell.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Just to echo ManfromFerbane, Clonmore seemed like a very close knit small area that played the games against us in a great spirit and while I'd be lying if I said I expected them to get this far, they seemed like good decent footballers and genuine people who anyone would be delighted to see do well. I think most neutrals would always support the small club over the second team of a bigger club in a game like this so I'm sure the Harps will have no shortage of well wishers in the run up to this final.

The other aspects to be looked at here is seriously, what on earth is the matter with Daingean? Losing narrowly to a competitive and cohesive small club like Clonmore is one thing, getting hammered as they did is quite another. John Greene's suspension, which seems to have been well merited based on the posts in this thread, is not the reason why any club would lose on that scale. I see the junior b's made their exit as well so it was a very bad few days for the club.

I don't want to derail this thread into another debate about parish and divisional teams but the one thing I will pick up on is this:
Georgio1 wrote:"
IMO.....
If a parish set up is to go ahead, it must be complete, ie disband the 4 clubs, and send in 4 Parish teams in Senior down until we find our level. This way finance and administration will be sorted quickly, also will enable the Senior team to be prepared together without the pull from clubs.
It cant and wont work the other way, (ie keep the clubs, there will be way to much politics), plus our fixtures committee in Offaly could not handle it properly. And lads lets not quote Kerry, as they have very little hurling to add to the confusion.

I would not agree with a parish team as I suspect for every 1 county player, you could lose 20 to the game completely.
I agree completely with the last line, however the question has to be asked too, even if Daingean do amalgamate, what right have they got to be put straight into senior? Surely the best way would be to start with four teams but have the top one at Intermediate level, and if they are that good, they'd win it easily enough and have a year to get used to playing together. Amalgamating them and then having them get relegated in year one could be the death of football in the parish.

The fact of the matter is that the parish fields six teams now - that would drop to a maximum of four if they amalgamated, which is forty or so lads with no team to play for. You'd need to be pretty sure of a good payoff to sort that out. Another point about that is that a parish team would be a good solution if the problem was four clubs that had a good smattering of talented, committed players, but where they struggled to find a full fifteen. If the problem is bottle, commitment or any other such issue, then it doesn't matter what level you're training for, you'll come up short.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.