Leinster Senior Hurling Offaly V Galway

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Kevin
All Star

Leinster Senior Hurling Offaly V Galway

Post by Kevin »

I'd like to see the forwards get out in front of their markers, gain some control of the attack (and keep Galway off the attack for a bit). If we do that perhaps it will present some easy frees and some reasonably scoreable chances for half forwards and midfielders moving into space. I'd love to see the forwards defending like demons and disrupting and choking off supply or at least causing hospital balls to rain down on midfield instead of perfectly pegged clotheslines putting the opposition in advantageous positions between the 40 and the 21 with the ball in hand and a good look at the goals.

The backs will have their hands full with a considerably talented attack. We have good defenders. This is a chance to prove how good they are.

A few breaks in our favor wouldn't do us any harm.

If we can just keep it close and prevent the 'fade after 50' you never know.

In the words of a great cavalry officer who knew something about taking on the enemy when outmanned and out gunned (which I believe we are in this instance)... we need to 'Get 'em skeered and keep the skeer on 'em'. Its a tall order, a big ask, pick your own saying - but this is why we play.

Expecting a massive effort and a great game.

Will be there with 2 of the youngsters roaring as long and loud as necessary.

Assuming some of you might congregate before/during or after the event please fire away as late as next Thursday or PM me.

Many thanks.

COME ON OFFALY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Leinster Senior Hurling Offaly V Galway

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Signs you've been in Noo Jeyzee too long :D
Kevin wrote:A few breaks in our favor wouldn't do us any harm.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Not possible to be in Joyzey too long! :D
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

I fear for Offaly next sunday, i really do.
The players are simply not good enough.
There are too many players that are inconsistent.
Add this to a manger who is completely out of his dept! and you are looking at a 20 + point loss.

the only thing going for Offaly is that Galway are cocky fucXXrs!
And they might take this game for granted. I dont think Galway are any great shakes either but
they are still much better than Offaly.

Last year on a tight pitch in o'connor park Offaly got anihilated by a cork team, whats going to happen when
the same players get exposed to the vast spaces of croke park?
i am very worried.
Last edited by Offalys Future on Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Offalys Future wrote:I fear for Offaly next sunday, i really do.
The players are simply not good enough.
There are too many players that are inconsistent.
Add this to a manger who is completely out of his debt and you are looking at a 20 + point loss.

the only thing going for Offaly is that Galway are cocky fucXXrs!
And they might take this game for granted. I dont think Galway are any great shakes either but
they are still much better than Offaly.

Last year on a tight pitch in o'connor park Offaly got anihilated by a cork team, whats going to happen when
the same players get exposed to the vast spaces of croke park?
i am very worried.
I would have to agree with ya there. With players like Ger Farragher,Damien Hayes and of course Joe Canning you would have to fear for Offaly. I just can't see the backs holding them lads for a full 70 minutes on a pitch like Croke Park.

Either way,I will be travelling up next Sunday and hoping to see a respectable performance and hopefully a good competitive game of hurling and maybe if the forwards can get into good positions and win a few handy frees for Shane Dooley to tap over and you never know.

Allez Les Faithful

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Offalys Future wrote:Add this to a manger who is completely out of his debt and you are looking at a 20 + point loss.

Well one thing for sure is that our manager isn't in debt from managing our Senior Hurling Team!!!!!

Seriously though, it surprises me how no one here has a had a rant on the "manager's expenses". More than anything else that's what galls me about the
current set up.

uibhfhailiabu
County player

Post by uibhfhailiabu »

Just watching the Sunday Game here for the Cork Kerry game. So Offaly were playing Cork in challenge match down there, result was:

Cork 3-22
Offaly 0-16
Keep The Faith

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Ger Canning just announced before the Cork v Kerry match that Cork and Offaly hurled in Pairc ui Chaoimh.

Final Score: Cork 3-22 Offaly 0-16.

Jesus Wept.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The more I think of it, the more I worry about what Galway can do in the wider spaces of Croke Park.

Thinking back to Offaly's last big match in HQ against Kilkenny in 2005. I still have memories of Martin Comerford getting the ball out near the sideline, soloing diagonally half the length of the field and tapping into the net without encountering a single Offaly tackle.

Offaly rely too much on being able to crowd better teams and double tackle opponents in possession, which might have worked were the game in Birr or Parnell Park.
Individually I don't believe our defenders have enough strength to halt a Galway opponent in one-on-one battles.
This is sort of game made for the the likes of Damian Hayes to put the head down and blow past any covering Offaly player.

The Portumna - Birr All Ireland club final of 2008 might give some clues as to how the game will pan out. Birr playing the 'Offaly way' of non-catching, 'wait for the breaks', freestyle hurling. Portumna winning the ball in the air, not letting the sliotar spill onto the ground where Birr needed it, not turning over possession quickly or cheaply and not being overly worried about the 'tackling' they were up against - the tackling being poking and jabbing the hurley in the direction of the man in possession.

A 70 minute game might contain 50-60 puckouts and dozens of defensive clearances, Offaly have little ability or strategy to secure any sort of break-even in winning these. Once Conor Mahon and Diarmuid Horan exited the stage earlier in the year, Offaly's ability to win primary ball winning was severely dented. Offaly's strategy will be all about firefighting on the basis that we won't win primary possession.

The scoreline may be decided on how long into the game the Offaly players feel its worth huffing and puffing after every Galway player who gains possession.
If Galway stretch the lead beyond half a dozen early in the second, watch the work rate evaporate and the scoreboard go into overdrive - like all other Offaly murderings in recent times. If Offaly manage to stay in touch with perhaps a couple of goals, then the team should at least keep it competitive till the end.

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

kinnittyman wrote:Ger Canning just announced before the Cork v Kerry match that Cork and Offaly hurled in Pairc ui Chaoimh.

Jesus Wept.
When was this played?

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

Offaly2010 wrote:
kinnittyman wrote:Ger Canning just announced before the Cork v Kerry match that Cork and Offaly hurled in Pairc ui Chaoimh.

Jesus Wept.
When was this played?
It was played before the Cork/kERRY GAME. Wasn't at it, but heard all about it from 2 different sources along the lines of: Cork very under strength, Offaly stink the place out, Cork better off with A V B game, whatever happened Offaly hurling ect ect.

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

There are a number of things wrong with Offaly this year as has been wrong for the last 10 years. We have players on the team that are not willing to die for the jersey...so we are automaticly at a disadvantage,add to that all the players are unfit, lack any confidence and have a management without any grasp of the modern game or of the tactics required to survive at the top level means that this game will be a dead rubber in croke park.

Also all the county players are not being allowed to play or train with their club which I think is ruining the club scene in the county, There was a round of the Tipperary Championship last weekend and this weekend. In Offaly the last senior championship match was the 2nd of May...which is six weeks exactly from today, and it is easily going to be another six weeks before another round is played. What are the county board saving these players from?? Its not as if the county team is miles ahead of any other senior hurler in the county because they are not, so why not run off the championship regardless of the inter county fixtures because we are concentrating 100% at the moment on the intercounty team to the detriment of the club championship and we are not getting anywhere anyway. I think letting the county players train with their clubs would be a real eye opener for them, there would be harder hurling in some club training sessions than with the county with every player trying to mind themselves too much.

Effectively what Im saying is, How can you be optimistic against Galway, when you dont trust this team to put away Antrim, Laois or any other division 2 team.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

That hiding from Cork today was tragic, word came through in O Connor PK that it was a 25 point drubbing and hearing it was only 15 didn't exactly make anybody feel better :oops:

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

it looks like the arse has falling out of offaly hurling in the last few weeks, i think the antrim game that we were lucky
to win has knocked the wind out of offaly players. hope they put in a big display next sunday if not we will be in for long day next sunday. :(

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

SH challenge: Rebels put Offaly to the sword
14 June 2010

Cork warmed up for next Sunday's Munster SHC semi-final against Limerick with an emphatic victory over Offaly in yesterday's SH challenge at Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

Cork 3-22
Offaly 0-16

And Paudie O'Sullivan did his chances of making the starting line-up no harm at all by scoring 2-2. Offaly were well in the game until O'Sullivan struck for his first goal in the 27th minute which helped the Rebels to a 1-8 to 0-7 lead. His second goal four minutes into the second half eased Denis Walsh's side into a 3-12 and 0-11 lead and ended the game as a contest.

Full forward Michael Cussen scored Cork's other goal on the stroke of half-time to give them a 2-11 to 0-10 lead at the break.

Offaly, who are also in provincial semi-final action against Galway next weekend, relied too much on free-taker Shane Dooley, who accounted for half of their tally. Brian Carroll also chipped in with 0-3.

One of the most pleasing aspects of the game for Denis Walsh was the performance of Pat Cronin, who hit three points on what his first appearance of the year.

"Pa got some good points and he took a bit of punishment there as well, which is good - when a player is coming back from injury that's what you want to see. He gives us another option.

"Mark O'Sullivan came in as well and got four points, it was if he had almost been forgotten about over the last month or so, but he did his bit," the Cork manager said.