Time For A Complete Review Of Offaly Underage Hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offalys Future
All Star

Time For A Complete Review Of Offaly Underage Hurling

Post by Offalys Future »

If yesterday's result will tell you anything its that things aren't been done right in Offaly
and its time for a change.

Firstly who's going to be held accountable?

1. Offaly Underage Board/County Board
2. Johnny Flaherty
3. Offaly Minor Management
4. John Leahy

1.The Offaly Bord na Nog appointed Johnny Pilkington as manager. Enough said they got it wrong.
8 weeks before they play kk in this years u-21 and the county board appoint stephen byrne as manager.
A guy that has little or no experience of managing teams.
The u-21 championship this year was been ran off on tue/wed nights, another joke.

2. Johnny Flaherty has the job of director of hurling and looking after the academies.
In the last 5 years no underage teams have any success or even come close to success so either we "dont have them" which
is rubbish or Johnny isnt capable of doing his job! he should be sacked asap.

3. Ye know where i stand here. You need to get a manager/trainer that has qualifications to train teams and knows what he is
at. Johnny Pilkington isnt the man, and will never be, neither will his selectors be.

4. John Leahy hasnt been attended u/14 matches of late as he is canvassing. Is he not a full time paid officer for offaly?
I recently went to a u-14 match and the young lads on the pitch didnt even have sliotars to warm up with. Not given a single bit
of gear and totally mis-treated.

The academies are a joke/the minor management was a joke/ the director of hurling is a joke and the county board are a joke
how are we ever expected to win anything. Jesus Chriest at least give these young players a chance.

And before alot of you come on and comment that i'm been all negative and not using commas etc. and what would i do. Here is
what i would do:

Offaly county board should call a meeting, open to anybody in Offaly. Put an ad in tribune/Offaly Express and ask anybody with a real sincere interest
in Offaly GAA to come along. And my guess is that you will get people there that really want to make a difference and change things around.
At least it would be a start and it would give people an opportunity to speak up and i guarantee you will get plenty of people that are interested in
making a difference.

Otherwise if they continue with the structures that are there its a complete waste of time.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

uibhfhaili
County player

Re: Time For A Complete Review Of Offaly Underage Hurling

Post by uibhfhaili »

Will never happen. Turkey's will never vote for Christmas. Any non-biased review of Offaly hurling would let rip at the County Board and therefore would never be commissioned. Offaly hurling RIP.

athlumneyboy
County player

Post by athlumneyboy »

Being a selector before with Offaly i would agree with the point on Johnny Flaherty, was at the GAA development confernce before christmas representing a club in Meath who i do a bit of coaching with i was totally taken back by Johnny Flaherty's attitude while speeches were going on he was outside the conference hall having a laugh which interupted the speaker two or three times. Is this the man we want as hurling director all he wants is ex Senior Intercounty hurlers involved which doesnt always work.

I Know Noel Russel has done a great job with Offaly u16 last year unlucky not to win All Ireland he should be given the job as manager and bring in selectors that are involved in underage hurling in clubs not ex intercounty players.

A great hurler/Footballer doesnt make a great manager look at many great ex soccer players who have failed. At Minor level Danny Owens is the only ex player that has done anything significant with the Minor ie Leinster final 03 , and Paddy Kirwan winners 2000, Johnny Dooley and Johnny Pilkington legends have failed miserably when it comes to coaching.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Agree with what you are saying.

Just on Noel Russell. I dont think he would be the right choice as manager. He was involved with this setp this year.
Now maybe he was limited in what he was allowed do. But from what i saw against kk in Nowlan Park he wouldnt be up to the job.
Plenty of interest but not enough experience.

A complete clen out of all these people needs to take place. Then a fresh start and a fresh approach can be implemented.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

athlumneyboy
County player

Post by athlumneyboy »

Offaly Future i wasnt at the KK game couldnt make that day but i think lads like Noel should be giving there head and given a chance maybe an advisors should be brought it with them, but picking lads like Johnny Pilkington and Johnny Dooley is wrong they dont know the lads maybe these lads should be used for coaching the team instead of picking it