Rhode V Kilmacud

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
The Magpie
All Star

Re: Rhode V Kilmacud

Post by The Magpie »

Much as I do believe Frank Weir to have been a huge huge talent, the fact remains that he never tested himself against the best footballers in the Country. Not once. Kicking points in the NFL (I was sitting on the terrace that day, btw) doesn't tell us anything. If memory serves me correctly, there were other guys that year that kicked a lot of points in the League, but weren't really cut out for Inter-County football.

Most guys on this forum that are familiar with their own club players can come up with names of guys that were also 'gifted', but also never tested themselves against the best. Whether it was attitude, commitment, or something other than that, doesn't really matter. It's very difficult to make a claim like this about somebody that played a lot of intermediate football and some degree of Senior football that never really amounted to anything.

In contrast, Matt Connor tested himself against the best time and time again - most often coming out on top. He wasn't just a part of the enormously successful Walsh Island and Offaly teams, he was probably the most important player in both teams. (I'll acknowledge that this last sentence could initiate a separate debate altogether :D ).

The one aspect of this whole debate that I will agree with you on is the fact that you hold Frank Weir in pretty much the same regard as Niall McNamee. Although Niall Mc is, in my opinion, the difference between Rhode winning or not winning Championships, and although he has been more successful than Frank Weir (in terms of achievements), Frank Weir was equally as capable of taking scores and was probably more adaptable at playing in other positions.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Lets just agree on one thing and that is that Rhode win on sunday. It would be a huge lift for Offaly Football in my opinion one not seen since Tommy Lyons involvement. I know a few lads taking Rhode at 9/4. I'm a bit more cautious and am taking the +3 at 5/6, I think thats a certain bet. I honestly think Rhode will win. One last thing is that the referee needs to be fair and not cave into the home crowd, that said there will be plenty of us there from Offaly to give as good back.

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

Bracknaghboy, all you seem to do is come on here and go on about how great frank weir is. Frank Weir is a very talented player but like the others said,hes not good unless he has tested him self at a higher level than intermediate football. So please do every one a favour and stop talking about Frank weir.
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

BUFFALO
County player

Post by BUFFALO »

bracknaghboy wrote:When I went to school we were always told that by our teacher (who was over the underage teams) that Matt Connor was the greatest ever footballer that Offaly produced and there would unlikely be anybody better ever! Connor is always spoken of in this regard. I've seen plenty of Matt on video and I can see where people are coming from. Personnally I've seen two players better than him. The first one was Weir. The second is Niall McNamee.
Weir never played Junior football.To talk about his "Raw" talent is madness, its anything but raw its pure talent. He played Intermediate with Bracknagh. Then Senior with Bracknagh for 5 years between 2001 and 2005. He destroyed senior defences in that time. Kicked numerous sideline kicks over the bar, was untouchable when it came to high fielding and distribution. He's also one horse of a man on the ball....rock solid. He played a few games in the NFL in 1998 for Offaly. Got man of the match on his debut in Tullamore against Cork and kicked 5pts from play before dropping off the panel a couple of games later for his own reasons. Anyone who has been lucky enough to watch, play against him or play with him knows all about this man. Hes still playing Intermediate with Bracknagh and is still one of the best around.
Its no secret that Niall Mc is a better player than Connor was.....this is because he gets more exposure than Weir.McNamee has the look of a player that could have played in any era. When I seen McNamee play when he has 16-17 it was obvious what was about to come. I'm delighted the way hes turned out and hes so level headed about the whole thing. He'll show everyone again on Sunday what he's about.
In my opinion we've seen 2 players in the last 20 years better than Matt Connor.
Righto,a number of points warrant consideration here.
This has to be one of the most outlandish articles posted here since the days of Offalys Future,and to be fair he had half a leg to stand on.
You,my friend,are talking utter tripe.
Matt Connor is known not as Offaly's finest footballer,but also one of the all-time greats in the history of Gaelic football.
So,to talk about him in the same breath as Weir and McNamee is tantamount to treachery.
Frank Weir is indeed a classy footballer,but he never achieved anything of note in the Green White and Gold.He is an eloper who deserted his county when he was genuinely needed...poor form in my book.
Niall NcNamee is known throughout this land as very able and competent player,who has bags of ability and no-end of skill.But,what has he got to show for it?A division 2 medal.Without appearing to be denigrating him,I only use that exemplar,as a means of highlighting how much more that he needs to achieve to be considered in the same vein as the esteemed Matt Connor.
Rant over.
As this is a thread about a certain upcoming match,it would be rude of me not to air some graces.
I'll keep it short and sweet as I cant claim any great authority on the teams involved.
In terms of nous and style I think Rhode are marginally the better side,but this may come to nought in winter football.where stamina and physical prowess are crucial,and it is these two attributes which Kilmacud possess in great quantity.
A tight,low-scoring affair is likely,with goals[if there are any] being vital to the potential victors,which I hope hail from Uibh Fhaili!

Allez!

paddyjoe
Junior C

Post by paddyjoe »

Niall NcNamee is known throughout this land as very able and competent player,who has bags of ability and no-end of skill.But,what has he got to show for it?A division 2 medal.
Played all grades with Offaly

Honours

1 div 4 league medal

Club Honours

4 Offaly senior championships

Dublin Senior Championship medal with UCD in 2006

5 under 21

2 minor

2 under 16

2 under 14

2 under 12

1 all Ireland feile

2 Offaly senior player of the year award (2004 & 2006)

1 Offaly under 21 player of the year award

1 Offaly minor player of the year award

1 Offaly junior b football and hurling medal

5 Offaly senior league medals

1 Offaly div 3 medal

Has played with Leinster

Highest individual scorer in Offaly county championship finals (2-8)

Top scorer in Offaly for past five years

You did ask :)

redser
County player

Post by redser »

An absolute disaster. Rhode deserved this game by a country mile, a complete disaster of a result.

Niall Mac had the beating of the whole of Kilmacud but and if everything was on target the whole country would be raving about him. He deserved a leinster medal. A class act.

Key Moments:
The sending off. The ref was terrified to give anything against Kilmacud after that. He bottled it in fairness. Gave sum terrible dodgy decisions against Rhode and the goals well the question has long been asked about the pathetic useless umpires of the modern day gaa.

Goal chance for Rhode before half time was tapped over the bar. Game over if the net had been rattled and it should have been.

Niall Mac goal chance after half time. Like above, game over if it went in.

Niall Mac hit post with a good effort that woz needed to steady the Rhode ship.

Leaving Kilmurray as the free man. I know he seemed to be running out of steam but he wasnt the man for that role. Hes a man marker full stop and a very effective 1.

Roy Malones shot saved. Could of been goal number 4 for Rhode really.

The dubious goals that were left to stand for Kilmacud. Ref bottled it but the umpires are just useless good for nothings.

On the whole Rhode can nearly blame themselves as they threw this game away. Very hard to watch it slip away as an Offaly man. Niall Mac still a footballing whiz. He has alot to learn still and can be without question the best forward in Ireland in the future. Anton Sullivan is going to be a good one aswell. I was impressed with him even alot of the time been given poor distribution.

Offaly dont know how towin these leinster titles at all.

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

[quote="redser"]An absolute disaster. Rhode deserved this game by a country mile, a complete disaster of a result.

quote]
Rhode were hammered off the pitch by 14 men in the second half. Deserved it my backside. When Crokes upped it Rhode vanished without trace in the second half including Niall Mc who hit a series of desperate wides. The goals were terribily soft with the goalie a disgrace for the second one. The one pt Id agree on was the easily goal chance before half time, shocking decision to tap over a point when one on one with the keeper.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Rhode really blew this one.

Sadly though, I felt that even being 5 or 6 points up, a Crokes goal would have knocked the stuffing out of them.
Rhode are a fine team, but over the years they haven't always coped with pressure finishes.
A few players wilted, when Rhode couldn't buy a score in the second half.

They got off to a flyer, Niall Mc was taking Paul Griffin to the cleaners as he has done on previous occasions. Anytime Rhode got inside the Crokes 45 they looked like scoring. Also Anton Sullivan at only 17 years of age was looking lively in attack.

Kilmacud looked sluggish as Rhode's fast running game caused them problems.
Early on Crokes committed a few drag backs by the neck and head high tackles on Rhode players running past. I was surprised at the red card (Westmeath ref and all that), but felt it was eventually going to happen as Crokes were skating on thin ice with the high challenges. In the end it was probably no use to Rhode, the ref gave a good few calls to Crokes for a long time after that and only started to give a few charity frees to Rhode towards the end when they were a beaten docket.

Just before half time, when Padraig Sullivan shot over the bar when there was a goal on, you almost got the feeling that it was going to come back and haunt them.

Rhode's high tempo game was not sustainable for the entire game. Not in December on a heavy pitch against Crokes side with a considerable size advantage and star quality also. Rhode expended a lot of energy in the first half. They tended to use a lot of short, sideways passes to get out of their own half.
They took a of high risk option which work early on when you are sharp, but cost you later on when fatigue sets in and you have less support players to bail you out.

Unfortunately I felt they were a beaten team as soon as the first goal went in. Kilmacud had time and momentum on their side. Crokes had also switched Ross O'Carroll onto Niall McNamee to help stem the haemorrhaging at the back.

Rhode mirrored the Offaly senior team in that they seemed incapable of wrestling back a game once the worm turns against them. They had plenty of chances to draw level as Crokes never pulled after the second goal. Setbacks like the lucky goals seem to deflate Offaly teams.

It’s hard to know how good Crokes are. They had an element of good fortune to get out of Dublin too. So either their name is on the cup, or they’ll run out of luck.
On the few occasions when they did actually put together purposeful moves, they looked useful. However unless they managed to put together a more sustained 60 minutes, they’ll be pipped by a more ruthless side than Rhode.

In the stand we also got treated to a live Ross O'Carroll-Kelly show in the stand. I mean towtally!
It was the "Croowkes goys" against "those mockers". Dort-speak at GAA matches is as odd as brown turf on Pullagh bog. To top it all, some middle aged, upper class, Cruella De Ville type bag in a fur coat, sitting behind me decided to whip me around the head with her gloves when the Crokes goal went in. I suppose clapping for those bogtrotters earlier on just wasn’t cricket.

You'd have to question the wisdom of spreading the GAA to posh parts of Dublin.
Maybe it was a blessing that the GAA were barred from rugby schools for so long. :P

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Rhode have nobody to blame but theirselves I'm afraid. This was a great chance for Offaly football gone.
My Thoughts:

1st half:
Rhode played the most slick football seen in Club Championships this year. The speed of the attacks and quick ball into the forwards was a joy to watch. Totally dominant in all areas. Rhode got everything right. The red card was coming. Sulivan should have killed the game off before half time but still 6 points and a 1 man advantage should be the end of a game. There was a huge Rhode crowd there and plenty of faces from Croghan, Edenderry and Clonbullogue which was great to see.

2nd half:
Rhode stopped playing in the quick ball and looked lacking in ideas around the middle of the field. 2 goals were a mess. Didn't see much of the 1st one but Rhode supporters calling for a free out?? It began to look like Crokes had the extra man. Niall Mc's bottle began to go with a few missed frees and sidelines. The final straw came with 3 mins to go and 2 points down when McNamee walked away from a simple free and Rhode wing back had a shot (you could see by his body language that he didn't want to kick it and knew he wouldn't put it over). This is where Malone as captain needed to step up and bring some order to the situation.....he should have spoken to McNamee and asked him to slot it over, or get Pascal to have a go or better still step up to the mark himself. That kick was game over really.
In the last 5 mins Rhode managment seemed to make a number of pontless substitutions which served only to break up the game when Rhode were trying to get the bit of momentum going again. Subs at this stage chasing a game is nearly always a complete waste of time (literally).

Finally there some obnoxious tossers in that crowd today from Crokes.....never came across the likes of some of them in my life......its like what I imagine being in the crowd at a Leinster rugby match must be like. Anyways thats my initial thoughts, I'll watch the video later.....no stomach for it tonight.

OY13
Intermediate

Post by OY13 »

Bracknaghboy u r trying to tell us that nialler is better than matt connor but look what happened when the pressure really came on today, would never have happened to matt the trasher. Niall is still a class act.
Last edited by OY13 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

did matt connor and walsh island ever win a leinster club?

bazza
All Star

Post by bazza »

I was at an under 21 final 2 years ago where Rhode were playing Walsh Island, Niall McNamee kicked over a free off the ground with his left foot from the same place Eoghan Byrne missed today. I've great time for Niall as a player and take great pleasure in watching him literally beat the likes of Tullamore, Ferbane, Clara etc on his own but i must admit it does annoy me the way he consistently bottles it for Ofally and Rhode on the really big stage.

OY13
Intermediate

Post by OY13 »

Yes i seen in the match programme today that walsh island won two leinster titles with the team that won the 6 in a row.

redser
County player

Post by redser »

Lads the Dubs are impossible to listen to full stop. It was amazing i got out of Parnell park without lashing out at one of them. It would make your blood boil. If they were legitimate GAA men you would tolerate it but the clowns there yesterday are just wankers full stop. I was at their county finals and there was barely a roar when they scored. Bigger support at an Edenderry challenge game. They just jump on bandwagon.

Have to say well done to all Faithful supporters who attended to shout on Rhode. I saw players from Shamrocks and Ballycumber shouting as if it were their own clubs playing. Saw loads of lads from all over the county there. Maybe their is some spirit in Offaly GAA afterall.

On the substitutions, yes, a few mistakes were made. Sullivan been missing limited them one good sub to bring in aswell. Hope would have been an ideal sub to come in with 20 to go. I still think the wrong man was left as free man in 2nd half.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I watched the match on TG4 but with Gerry Russell for commentary on the radio - for some reason!

Early in the first half Gerry announced that the sun had been shining earlier but that it had now gone in.

Thing was - the sun WAS still shining !!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.