All Ireland u21 1992 on youtube

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
uibhfhaili
County player

All Ireland u21 1992 on youtube

Post by uibhfhaili »

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=43o6NndjUNQ
Im sure this will bring back some memories.

TheRedLad
Junior B

Re: All Ireland u21 1992 on youtube

Post by TheRedLad »

Can someone tell me what the starting 15 were for that match?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

uibhfhaili wrote:http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=43o6NndjUNQ
Im sure this will bring back some memories.
There was some crowd in Nowlan Park for those games.
Offaly really blew it the first day.
Waterford got a real fill up from the drawn game and were more polished for the replay.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

TheRedLad wrote:Can someone tell me what the starting 15 were for that match?
Drawn game line up:

Damien Franks
Henry Kilmartin
Kevin Kinahan
Donal Franks
Kevin Martin
Hubert Rigney
Brian Whelahan
Sean Og Farrell
Michael Hogan
Johnny Dooley
Sean Grennan
John Troy
Mark Gallagher
Niall Hand
Oisin O'Neill
Sub:
Brian Gath for Hogan

Replay:
Damien Franks
Henry Kilmartin
Kevin Kinahana
Donal Franks
Damien Barron
Hubert Rigney
Brian Whelahan
Sean Og Farrell
Michael Hogan
Johnny Dooley
Sean Grennan
John Troy
Mark Gallagher
Niall Hand
Oisin O'Neill
Sub:
Adrian Cahill for Hogan

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Sean Og Farrell was a class act. Was never given his chance at senior with Offaly which was a disgrace. There has always been this discrimination againat players from this end of the county. He has an All Ireland medal from '94 and won Junior hurling medals with Ballyfore ('96) and Edenderry ('98). The Ballyfore one was a 'C' or 'B' title I can't remember.

birr are magic
Junior B

Post by birr are magic »

YES SEAN OG FARRELL WAS A GOOD PLAYER. BUT LOOK WHO HE WAS UP AGAINST
JOHNNY DOOLEY
JOHN TROY
BILLY DOOLEY
DECLAN PILKINGTON
JOHNNY PILKINGTON
JOE DOOLEY
DAITHI REGAN
PAT O CONNOR
MICHAEL DUIGAIN
BRENDAN KELLY
MICHAEL CONNELLY
GARY HANNIFFY
JOE ERRITY
ALL THEM PLAYERS WERE ON THE OFFALY PANEL OF 94 98 I MISS SOME JOHN RYAN DARREN HANNIFY
SEAN OG PLAYED MIDFIELD OR HALF FORWARD . SO HE WAS UP AGAINST SOME PLAYERS .
THERES A BIG GAP BETWEEN JUNIOR C AND SENIOR HURLING.
PLUS WE HAD BETTER HURLERS THAT DIDNT PLAY THEM YEARS E. G. ROY MANNION GARY CAHILL
ARDIAN CAHILL THE BONGO. IF HE STAYED PLAYING YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SID .
SO THATS RUBBISH BRACKNAGHBOY ABOUT SEAN OG NOT BEING PICK BECAUSE HIS FROM EDENDERRY .
HE WASNT AS GOOD AS THE PLAYERS WE HAD THEN. WE WON 3 MINORS HE WASNT ON THEM TEAMS .
BUT FINBARR CULLEN WAS.HE GET ON THE TEAM TODAY IF HE WAS STILL PLAYING .
BUT THERE WAS JUST TO MUCH TALENT OUT THERE WHEN HE WAS PLAYING .
CHEERS BRACKNAGHBOY.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

birr are magic wrote:YES SEAN OG FARRELL WAS A GOOD PLAYER. BUT LOOK WHO HE WAS UP AGAINST
JOHNNY DOOLEY
JOHN TROY
BILLY DOOLEY
DECLAN PILKINGTON
JOHNNY PILKINGTON
JOE DOOLEY
DAITHI REGAN
PAT O CONNOR
MICHAEL DUIGAIN
BRENDAN KELLY
MICHAEL CONNELLY
GARY HANNIFFY
JOE ERRITY
ALL THEM PLAYERS WERE ON THE OFFALY PANEL OF 94 98 I MISS SOME JOHN RYAN DARREN HANNIFY
SEAN OG PLAYED MIDFIELD OR HALF FORWARD . SO HE WAS UP AGAINST SOME PLAYERS .
THERES A BIG GAP BETWEEN JUNIOR C AND SENIOR HURLING.
PLUS WE HAD BETTER HURLERS THAT DIDNT PLAY THEM YEARS E. G. ROY MANNION GARY CAHILL
ARDIAN CAHILL THE BONGO. IF HE STAYED PLAYING YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SID .
SO THATS RUBBISH BRACKNAGHBOY ABOUT SEAN OG NOT BEING PICK BECAUSE HIS FROM EDENDERRY .
HE WASNT AS GOOD AS THE PLAYERS WE HAD THEN. WE WON 3 MINORS HE WASNT ON THEM TEAMS .
BUT FINBARR CULLEN WAS.HE GET ON THE TEAM TODAY IF HE WAS STILL PLAYING .
BUT THERE WAS JUST TO MUCH TALENT OUT THERE WHEN HE WAS PLAYING .
CHEERS BRACKNAGHBOY.
No need to shout!

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

bracknaghboy wrote:Sean Og Farrell was a class act. Was never given his chance at senior with Offaly which was a disgrace. There has always been this discrimination againat players from this end of the county. He has an All Ireland medal from '94 and won Junior hurling medals with Ballyfore ('96) and Edenderry ('98). The Ballyfore one was a 'C' or 'B' title I can't remember.
bracknaghboy,

You’re so far out by the side of it, it’s almost unbelievable. I’m not sure how well up you are on the happenings on the hurling scene so maybe this is just a throw away comment based on a bit of pub-talk or the like but I’d like to set you straight.

Outside of the winning panels of ’94 and ’98, it’s worth taking a look at some of the very good club hurlers who were given a run in the league and never quite made the final panel or who were not as lucky as Sean Og and never got the chance in the first place because they competed at a higher level in club championship and so were judged against a higher standard of opponent. It’s worth remembering that while Sean Og was a decent hurler, he didn’t get a lot of time on the field at senior level and this may have helped him as much as anything to get an All-Ireland medal.

I’m not sure whether you’re just naïve or trying to wind people up but comments about bias based on location are nonsense. The natural order of things in Offaly will always dictate that Tullamore acts as a mythical dividing line when it comes to selecting county panels and this is simply because most of the good hurling is played in the south of the county and most of the good football is played in the north of the county.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I'm very well up on the happenings on the hurling scene in Offaly. I've played in both Laois and Offaly. Sean Og Farrell is still playing (suspended at the moment) and has been one of the best hurlers in Offaly for the last 10 years. He was never given a proper chance on the county team due to the snobbery of the so called hurling end of the county.....they like to think of themselves as the elite....dilusional is a better word. Cillian Farrell is nother example. Hurling was flying in East Offaly in the 90's and none of our boys were given a fair shot at it. We had the following teams at various stages:

St. Bridgets
Rhode
Edenderry x 2 teams
Gracefield x 2 teams
Ballyfore
Daingean x 2 teams
Ballinagar even had a team for a year!

Nobody ever bothered to call any of these lads into the panel because they were not from the traditional hurling area. This is one of the reasons that hurling has died in these areas, only Gracefield and Edenderry have 1 team each now and they hang by a tread. I know some of the hurling lads will claim that the same snobbery/discrimination takes place this end in relation to footballers from the hurling areas and yes it does to a point (but as bad) and that is wrong. If a footballer from Crinkle is good enough then pick him. If a hurler from Edenderry is good enough then pick him.

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

this site is all about opinions but for you to say sean og farrel was one of the best hurlers in offaly in the past 10 years is crazy .he was a ok club player at best .as for the hurling and football divide you talk about it does exsist but thats the way it is in all the duel counties .if there is good enough hurlers in the so called areas and visa versa they will get a chance to prove they deserve a chance
great history hoping for a better future

birr are magic
Junior B

Post by birr are magic »

sorry true red we can`t be all perfect like you . i suppose you won`t know much about it .
is the spelling all right for you today .

birr are magic
Junior B

Post by birr are magic »

I AM NOT SHOUTING BORD NA MONA MAN

it`s crap to say that the only reason sean og didn`t play champonship hurling he played leauge
is because he`s from the football end of the county. his couisin cillian played in 98 against antrim
tullamore is a strong football town. kevin and p.j. martin played champonship as well .if you good enough you be picked.