u21 result

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
OY_94
Junior C

u21 result

Post by OY_94 »

Very disappointing night in Tullamore tonight. Nothing seemed to go right for anyone (except for an excellent kilkenny team)

Fair play to the cats, they were at another level tonight, especially TJ Reid and Hogan. Our big guns never got going. Too many balls dropped, too many lads getting in each others way, some lads didnt seem up for it. Why i dont know, a chance to win a leinster medal just didnt inspire some of our lads as much as it did the cats. Any time we got a score the kilkenny boys came up straight away and scored. Where did it all go wrong?

azoffaly
All Star

Re: u21 result

Post by azoffaly »

I didn't get up for it because I was stuck in work until 7, but I caught most of it on TV. Our lads definitely didn't seem as fired up or intense as they have done at senior level in the last couple of weeks, and that element of tiredness that seemed to creep in in Thurles was still there, I suppose it's understandable, but it's still disappointing.

Our lads were a lot more deliberate when they had the ball, slower striking, struggling to lift it, etc etc which meant they were caught in possession a lot. In contrast we never put the Cats under the pressure we have been doing recently in terms of blocking, hooking etc etc. Again, I put that down to a bit of fatigue or mental tiredness.

The biggest problem again, though, in my opinion was our inability to win ball in the forwards. This manifested itself in the senior match, towards the end, against Waterford, and was the losing of that tie in the end. Similarly tonight, Kilkenny seemed to win every ball that was 50-50, especially in the air. We need to work on that over the winter, at all levels. IT was there against Limerick, and against Waterford for 50 minutes. It needs to be there all the time.

Tonight is not the night for harsh assessments though. A lot of these lads have given us reason to be hopeful these past few weeks. Tonight is a blip on the radar, for sure, and a blow, but it is not a fatal one. As long as they can banish this from their minds, get back to their clubs and come back in the Autumn/New Year ready to go again, we can see the progress continue.

If any of them read this board, hard luck lads. We're still proud of you, and we know you'll rise again.

Finally, a word for the cats. Everything we did badly tonight, they did well. They pressurised, they won ball, and they got scores easier. They were worthy winners, and look to be a fine team, in the Kilkenny tradition. The better team tonight, no doubt about it.

Uibh Fhaili abú
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

am absolutely gutted and not alot to say
how did treacy last so long on reid, ball after ball he won over him, a women of 99 in her bed in the hospital could have seen that a change had to be made earlier there.
anyway gutted, will post on it again, just sick :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

OY_94
Junior C

Post by OY_94 »

i agree with you both. These lads have given us reason to be hopeful for the future and fair play to them. I cant understand how young lads like that can be so drained though. Surely there was some way of motivating them for this.

gutless'08, Im afraid i have to agree with your comments re change of treacy off reid. I also have to say that i was a little surprised we didnt try and change any tactics at all tonight. The kilkenny backs moped up all the high ball time after time. Surely there is something else we could have done??? the pattern seemed to be the same all night.

Can i just say that i do have great time for padraic horan. A great servant for offaly hurling and a gentleman. Maybe the lads at his disposal didnt lend themselves to any changes????

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Post Deleted.
Last edited by kinnittyman on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

mad biffo
Junior B

Post by mad biffo »

Offaly played well in the first half. But as another post said they were losing ball in the forwards alot. Offaly just were not cute enough to be able to switch balls across the pitch like Kilkenny did. And lets be honest here the lads that were on the senior team did not play well and I think myself if your playing against big teams like waterford and limerick in a short space of time and then a u21 leinster final. There is definitely going to be some sort of tiredness there and it showed big time in the forwards last night in the second half. I didnt get to go to the game as I was working but I watched it on tg4. Did anyone notice when Bergin scored the penalty there seemed to be a chunk of wood fell off the keepers hurl? There must have been some power in that shot to do that!!!

chewfaile
Junior C

Post by chewfaile »

Sorry lads, I don't buy the players were tired argument. By the very fact it's U-21, these guys are young. Let's see how "tired" Cork are this weekend against Clare.
KK looked a better team all over last night. Even in the first half when things were tight, they were getting scores easier than us.
They had 15 good hurlers and we didn't. I'm not saying we had bad hurlers but we had alot of lads who didn't play well.
If KK can get themselves up for winning yet another Leinster title, I think we should be able to as well.
Anyway, it just perfectly illustrates that there's lots of work there to do.

mad biffo
Junior B

Post by mad biffo »

When was the last time the Kilkenny 15 hurlers had a big match?

athlumneyboy
County player

Post by athlumneyboy »

Lads the match should have being played last Wednesday Padraig wanted it played he knew what would happen i know for 100% the match last Wednesday was called off because Kieran Joyce KK fullback wasnt available my friends on Leinster Council here in Meath told me this.

Our Senior players looked drained also our first touch was brutal we looked as if we never played with each other before probably lack of training as a team due to the fact the Seniors were going well.

Offaly made silly mistakes give away simple goals i feel sorry for Hernon trying to pull on the ball and missing and then passing the ball to KK man he played very well up tp this.

Our Forwards were out played by a class KK halfback line the won everything in the air they were much more phyiscally stronger when the right ball was played in to Kerrigan and Coughlan they caused danger.

To sum it up i feel sorry for the players and management they put a big effort in but our revival at Senior level hasnt help and lets take positives to u21 finals in two years when we didnt manage to win a match in 5 years some of these palyers are under age again next year so they will have a great chance to get to the final again.

I feel a few others will step up to the Senior team next year ie Morkan and Coughlan and maybe Wynne.

Just a quick question did anyone think the pitch was brutal lastnight its not suited for Hurling Birr is a way better venue.

Aweflee
Senior

Post by Aweflee »

kinnittyman wrote:But what I will say is that judging on the performances of one particular clubs representation tonight they will never win anything of tangible significence at adult grade.
Kinnittyman,

I've read many of your posts on this and other websites and generally find them to be fair and well informed, but that is an absolutely ridiculous statement. Picking out one club (and its quite obvious who you're talking about by the way you phrased it) is unfair. There were 9 clubs represented on the starting 15 and I don't think any of the lads hurled to their ability. I certainly wouldn't single out one player or one club for harsh treatment.
:evil:

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Kilkenny were simply a different class.

Our were up for it but just didn't have the hurling in them unfortunatly. The long ball game didn't work for us. The ability of the Kilkenny lads to fetch balls from the sky was a wonder to watch. They played like they had an extra man on the field and the between the delivery to the full forward line and take their scores from out the field was exceptional.

We had some big game players between the two 45's, Horan, Molloy, Mahon, Morkan, Leonard but this is where the cats really dominated. Would of expected any of these guys to put in a match winning perforance but nothing happened for them. TJ Reid was unreal on the day and their full forward (name fails me) picked off some great scores from around the midfield area.

There was some poor decisions made too. Going to swing on the ball instead of catching and a KK lad fields it. Conor Hernon's option to stick pass the ball out of the corner rather than deliver the ball clear. Derek Molloy goes down with a heavy injury, next puck out, right on top of him. Bringing on two corner forwards where the big problem was way out the field. These thing all contributed to further pain.

I think KK were better than giving a 12 point beating last night, that just my honest opinion.

athlumneyboy
County player

Post by athlumneyboy »

Kinnity man what club are you talking about if you are prepared to talk about particular club please name them? I have a fair idea it's my club all players went out to do their best last night and came up short , we are all Offaly we win together and lose together.

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

p.s. many thanks to Bord Na Mona Man for the lift back to the big smoke!!

:D

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Really really gutted over the loss. Not the loss itself but the manner in which we were so soundly beaten all over the park. I really don`t feel to criticise any of the players or their clubs would be of use, so lets stay away from that. For whatever reason that they were not up for it and Kilkenny were amazingly hungry and savaged for every ball. Comparing both sides before the game I felt we were a lot bigger in size and that this would help us in the physical stakes but we lost out here big time. Time and time again our lads were brushed off the ball with ease and struggled to break through any of their tackles. Also I thought they were the cuter hurlers. They moved the ball faster and with more purpose than we did. They had all the hallmarks of the seniors too with the canny little "fouls" that can go unnoticed most of the time by the referee. All in all Kilkenny were by far the better team and deserved their win. As for our own lads I hope this doesn`t knock them too much as they have improved all year and along with the seniors have given us some reason to be hopeful about our hurling again.
"Ohhh mamma!"

Aweflee
Senior

Post by Aweflee »

athlumneyboy wrote:Kinnity man what club are you talking about if you are prepared to talk about particular club please name them? I have a fair idea it's my club all players went out to do their best last night and came up short , we are all Offaly we win together and lose together.
Well said.