Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
old yellar
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

Post by old yellar »

G91 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:16 am Look no disrespect but you didn't come under any radar offaly were far better in previous games of the joe mcdonagh and knew exactly what to expect from carlow, what carlow forwards were doing one end offaly dropped balls hit misplaced passes the other that's the difference not because:

Fitzgibon
Club championship
Manager

At the end of the there was 1 point in the difference and offaly had a chance to send it to penalties and a chance to win it full time the under 20 had no bearing on this game only the players offaly needed for the senior final
The only influence it had apart from it is that it would have been great to try win the senior and carry tge good feelings into the under 20

Carlow were sharper, the sending off had a huge impact
Any other stats about club and college hurling and previous results don't change or add to it

Offaly beat dublin in the league a few year ago and ended up getting relagated by the end of it
I was just answering a question was all.

Why were we sharper, making less mistakes etc? A big majority Hurling at a good level over a longer period maybe.. So some of what I said is a reality. Anyways, it was a fantastic effort by ye when down to 14. I thought ye would take us in extra time given your panel but that's hurling.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Offaly tried hard and done well to get it to extra time.
Just a couple of points some people here have noted about Kiely been a huge addition etc but he was very ordinary yesterday and can go missing for large portions of games.
Burkes decision to strike the ball long for carlow's winning point was crazy he had men outside him where we could of got the winner.

aigne
Junior B

Post by aigne »

Hard luck to the Offaly players after the huge effort yesterday. Hope they can give Tipp a good game in a few weeks.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Hopefully the tipp game is in tullamore ?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

It was in the radio this morning that it is in Tullamore

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Wexford had a great turnaround yesterday, which gives a boost to the other Joe McDonagh teams in 2024.
While Westmeath had a brilliant victory last week, Wexford are a few points better than them and would have been hot favourites to win the McDonagh next year.
Westmeath are marginally better than Leix, Offaly and the rest. It makes it a very open field next year and hopefully we'll be back up in Croke Park again with a real chance of promotion.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

No progress is a straight curve.
It took us two years to come out the Christy Ring.
And while Saturday was disappointing. What we need to do is learn and move on.
Huge progress has been made from last year.

The game itself was an interesting one. With Offaly getting a great start but failing to get into the game.
The Carlow forwards where bigger stronger and not as fit as the Offaly team but Carlow game plan involved getting the ball high into it forwards and living off the breaks. A bit like Clare are doing under Brian Lohan.
Management made a mistake playing a sweeper in the first half. It meant that Carlow puckout went to they half back line and were then bombed in on top of our full backline.

The two Carlow goals came from bad commination between the Corners back and the goalkeeper. Both Balls were the Goalkeeper to deal with. the Corner back job was to make sure that the forward was out of the way. The send off while correct under the law of the game, hasn't been enforced in years. If they going to enforce the law as written down. Limerick will play ever game with 8 players.

The Wides were what killed us, We ended up playing most of the game with no full forward line and shooting for 100 yards. 32 scores with 28 wide and 5 drop short = 65 shoots in 90 mins. that less than a 50% conversion rate and lost by a point.

Our Defense is still a lot of hurling but not a lot of defending.

To improve our sharpness. It's the basic drills in training for the next two weeks. starting with 4 lads across the field and the two balls moving as fast as they came back and fort. It's Speed, Speed Speed.

Tipperary in two weeks. It's going to be tough but not impossible.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

greenairfield wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:57 am Offaly tried hard and done well to get it to extra time.
Just a couple of points some people here have noted about Kiely been a huge addition etc but he was very ordinary yesterday and can go missing for large portions of games.
Burkes decision to strike the ball long for carlow's winning point was crazy he had men outside him where we could of got the winner.
In fairness Kiely was gone for a year or two also..absolutely we had to get him back ad we did...he hasnt had the same level or "warriorism" if there is such a word since he came back, but do you know what, that happens, for a fellah who wasnt at his peak during his first stint on on Saturday, he came back on and finished the match with was it 3 or 4 points..so while he wasnt at his best, I will ask a different question, when Kiely wasnt at his peak on Saturday, who else stood up to the plate so to speak, thats not a criticism as such, but often the player we expect to deliver doesnt and someone else just happens to hit form that day...Kilkenny over the last 20 years always had them, Limerick currently if Cian Lynch doesnt fire, Dan or Tom Morrissey or someone else has the "blinder"...outside young Nally the other day, and he got injured, not all were getting as stuck in as maybe they could be...it was a horrible game to lose, and everyone appeared to be battling for their lives..I think one or two more of our forwards have a bit more in them..if your team scores 1-31 and you didnt score and you a forward or even if you only hit one pint, is that a good return?? Hats off to the team, it was fantastic, but do need a more direct scoring forward than Cahill, Mitchell hopefully will become such a player along with a few more..25 or 26 wides is a ferocios tally to hit and to lose by a pint then is a sickener but look, I hate saying it but maybe another year at JMCD level will be what this great bunch of hurlers need...Tipp next is a sobering but welcome test too..

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Just want to echo much of whats been said (mainly),

*Great effort in general by the players-we need to learn from this but great committment and work over the last 12 to 14 weeks.
*Hope David Nally is ok soon, a lovely hurler who was really coming into the game
*Shane Dooley has had his time, can't see any reason to bring him on ...but then to leave him on?
*Adrian cleary, head up son, you took it on, that takes nerve,
*aside from this, a little more composure when we got level through to the end and we could have created 3 more chances to score, but pannicked....again we need to learn from this.

When we look at the situation there are a couple of things , broadly speaking there is a lot of positivity and hope for this this group than there was at the start of the season. With the way it could so easily have gone, Wexford staying up is a blessing. (Not saying we will have anything easy against Westmeath, a very good side and will be different to waht we've come up against in recent years) but we know our underage structure is superior and we will build on this year. The management team will sit down with the powers that be and review things...that is up to them.

We are going into next Sunday with nothing to lose, we have beaten at least 3 very good teams and comfortable winners over the others we've played.
Next Sunday is different gravy and nothing only composure, aggression and a bit of luck on the injury front will help us.
Yes , our "tourists" will ensure that there are plenty of Offaly jersies in the crowd but where were they until recently...to the players ..forget about that and all the pats on the back this week. Was mainly the younger brigade who travelled last Sat, poor enough considering when was the last time we hurled a big game there (aside from the C Ring a couple of years ago...which attracted little or noone as well!).
I want to know how many of these guys are really ready to take us to the next level and help build a bigger Senior panel next year, plus we will be able to give this grade another rattle next year as we won't be tied in with the Liam Mc restrictions.

So next year we have Div 1 to prepare for and that starts against Tipp.
But heads up lads and Keep the Faith!

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Superhans75 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:12 am Hopefully the tipp game is in tullamore ?
Hardly bother you? Once again, classy comments when lads are on the floor.

Of course we were pissed off to lose but fair play to Carlow and get on with it.

Carlow produced a lot of fantastic hurling on Saturday and there economical use of the ball was a lesson also.

To Old Yellar, your points are valid re fitzgibbon and club, it shows there is a concerted effort to make the best out of the limited resources, we would do well to note instead of putting him down. You've always been a fair man in your opinions and we won't begrudge Carlow their day in the sun.
Should give the Dubs a bit of a scare also.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Rule 5.19 states "to deliberately pull on or take hold of a faceguard" (italics mine). Obviously only Dara Maher knows what his intention was, his arm was flailing but it doesn't appear like an intentional pull on Boland's faceguard. And I think Maher's reaction of disbelief to the card backs that up.
Toxicity234 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:53 am The send off while correct under the law of the game, hasn't been enforced in years.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Let's not Start backstabbing each other! Tipperary are no great shakes but should have too much forward
Strength against us but defensive wise there not actually
Great so which way do we play it .?
Goals do not come easy for us so we probably have to play ultra defensive game and hope tipp become
Anxious.
This game will really tell how far we have improved
Enjoy the 🌞

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

Disappointed with the turnout of support. I can only look on in jealousy when the final whistle blew and the Carlow song rung out and thier supporters joined in. Pure and utterly devastating the team has worked tirelessly all year it just never clicked on the day and while carlow were deserving winner's , the decision to send off dara was dreadful and I haven't seen many off carlow opinions saying it wasn't a red card and if we are all honest I don't believe that anyone in croke park thought it was red except for the referee

It's something to work on and theirs still div1 hurling and a big game vs tipp to look forward to.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Superhans75 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:57 pm Let's not Start backstabbing each other! Tipperary are no great shakes but should have too much forward
Strength against us but defensive wise there not actually
Great so which way do we play it .?
Goals do not come easy for us so we probably have to play ultra defensive game and hope tipp become
Anxious.
This game will really tell how far we have improved
Enjoy the 🌞

"Kelly a journey man", "absolute shite at times", "can't hide an average team"
"This game will really tell how far we have improved"

How much do you expect us to improve in 2 weeks? Tipp are no great shakes...beat Clare, drew with Limerick , what do they have to do, beat Man City? FFS ....Ah hear, me senses a WUM! Bit like FF last week reacting to the junior ministers, should know better!

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:44 pm I wouldn't be so sure about that. Rule 5.19 states "to deliberately pull on or take hold of a faceguard" (italics mine). Obviously only Dara Maher knows what his intention was, his arm was flailing but it doesn't appear like an intentional pull on Boland's faceguard. And I think Maher's reaction of disbelief to the card backs that up.
Toxicity234 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:53 am The send off while correct under the law of the game, hasn't been enforced in years.
Yeah, I knows what your saying but it doesn't matter what Dara thinks, It how the ref thinks. Maybe this ref think that any contact with the faceguard is intentional. but in the league with Limerick Tipperary they was 4 clashes where the faceguard was pulled. It happen all the time.
Intentional, not Intentional. I 'm not even sure in the heat of battle the player knows.

I think is more about consistency- if Dara getting sent off of it, Then Gearóid Hegarty Co get sent off of it.
Is it Nigel Owens that said "i'm not trying to be perfect, I'm trying to be consistency"
To enforce that Rule, At this stage, After a year of it been let go is inconsistency.

Anyway, it wasn't the reason we lost the game.
“Common sense is not so common.”