Club Football Championship 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: Club Football Championship 2022

Post by jimbob17 »

If Jack Cullinane or Barry Rohan were still around, also worth a look.

Who are the young players that should be looked at that have not been in or looked at much to date that are older than the successful u20 group?

For me some may include couple of lads in Clonbullogue, Mikey Cunningham and Stefan Geoghegan, Kevin O Brien Tullamore, Conor Dunne Steven Conneely and Aidan Bracken Ballycommon, Kyle Higgins, Joe Maher and Ronan McEvoy, Oisin Kelly Ferbane / shannonbridge, Shane O Toole and Sean O Toole in Shamrocks, Shane Tierney and PJ Daly in Daingean, one or two young forwards in Erin Rovers, Cathal O Donoghue in KK. What age is William Mulhall in Walsh Island? Also has to be at least one in Rynaghs - Joseph O Connor / Niall Wynne possibly. Nigel Dunne too based on club form as he is still both good enough and young enough.
jimbob

Behindthegoal
Junior A
Club: Ballinagar

Post by Behindthegoal »

Not to be disrespectful to anyone but a lot of the lads you named are either nowhere near good enough for senior inter county football or have been on the panel at some stage and never got a look in. Cunningham couldn’t get onto the u20 team so hard to see how he’d make any impact at senior, Kevin O’Brien is lucky to be on the tullamore team. Conor dunne hardly stood out in the intermediate championship and plays rugby. Kyle Higgins has gone to America. Joe Maher has been messing around with county setups for the last 10 years wouldn’t be surprised if kearns doesn’t even bother calling him in because he will leave himself at some stage. Oisin Kelly is a hurler he will never play county football for Offaly as will always be in with the hurlers his name should stop being mentioned. Ronan Mcevoy was in under Maughan for about six weeks and left it’s easy to say call these lads up but will they commit and do the training? You don’t want lads who are guaranteed to drop out and leave you in a situation mid season looking for new players. Shane O’toole good club player yes would he make any impact at county? I’m not sure. Chip O’toole left the u20 squad this year two weeks before championship and had to be persuaded back we are looking for a new goalkeeper at the moment but again if he’s not willing to commit he shouldn’t be called in. I’m not sure who the young forwards in Erin rovers are? Seen them a couple of times this year and nobody stood out at a very poor level. Cathal Donoghue has been in the squad but picked up a nasty injury so you’d imagine he will be back. Joey O’Connor dropped himself last year so no need to be calling him again? And Nigel dunne again all the above points apply to him.

Instead of calling older lads who haven’t much of a shelf life left at county standard and who have been dipping in and out over the years I’d like to see us invest in the younger lads and give them game time in division 3 and tailteann cup expose them to a high level of training and S&C along with the experience of playing the games in 3 years time they should be at their peaks and be the back bone of a really strong team. I’ll put a list below of who I’m talking about.

Lee Pearson
Chillie Donnelly
Rory Egan
Cathal Donoghue
Bill Carroll
Jack Bryant
Cian Johnson
Cian Farrell
Keith O’Neill
Aaron Kellaghan
Cormac Egan

All these players are 23 or under. If they were to put 3 solid years in now there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be winning a tailteann cup and competitive in division 2 like Westmeath are now. It’s a big if I know but this is what our county board and senior management should be aiming for.

TerraceTalk
Intermediate

Post by TerraceTalk »

Have to agree with behindthegoal there, what use would bringing in an aging Nigel Dunne or William Mulhall do at this stage, or any lads in their 30s for that matter? We are in a building phase, bring in the youth and keep the experience that’s already in there and reward their commitment to the cause.

Interested in dungas point that Paddy Dunican is leaving the panel, I hadn’t heard that, but can’t blame the lad. I think he’s been the best keeper we’ve had in a long time. He’s really trimmed down in the last year and heard rumblings he wanted to be given a shot out the field? He’s always been solid on the ball but better for us as the number 1 rather than anywhere else.

Chip O’Toole opted out of club football this year before being coaxed back in, so I’m not sure he’d want to commit to county at this stage. I’d make Ken Garry the favorite as of now, some very solid showings from him for Rhode this year.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Behindthegoal wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:10 pm Not to be disrespectful to anyone but a lot of the lads you named are either nowhere near good enough for senior inter county football or have been on the panel at some stage and never got a look in. Cunningham couldn’t get onto the u20 team so hard to see how he’d make any impact at senior, Kevin O’Brien is lucky to be on the tullamore team. Conor dunne hardly stood out in the intermediate championship and plays rugby. Kyle Higgins has gone to America. Joe Maher has been messing around with county setups for the last 10 years wouldn’t be surprised if kearns doesn’t even bother calling him in because he will leave himself at some stage. Oisin Kelly is a hurler he will never play county football for Offaly as will always be in with the hurlers his name should stop being mentioned. Ronan Mcevoy was in under Maughan for about six weeks and left it’s easy to say call these lads up but will they commit and do the training? You don’t want lads who are guaranteed to drop out and leave you in a situation mid season looking for new players. Shane O’toole good club player yes would he make any impact at county? I’m not sure. Chip O’toole left the u20 squad this year two weeks before championship and had to be persuaded back we are looking for a new goalkeeper at the moment but again if he’s not willing to commit he shouldn’t be called in. I’m not sure who the young forwards in Erin rovers are? Seen them a couple of times this year and nobody stood out at a very poor level. Cathal Donoghue has been in the squad but picked up a nasty injury so you’d imagine he will be back. Joey O’Connor dropped himself last year so no need to be calling him again? And Nigel dunne again all the above points apply to him.

Instead of calling older lads who haven’t much of a shelf life left at county standard and who have been dipping in and out over the years I’d like to see us invest in the younger lads and give them game time in division 3 and tailteann cup expose them to a high level of training and S&C along with the experience of playing the games in 3 years time they should be at their peaks and be the back bone of a really strong team. I’ll put a list below of who I’m talking about.

Lee Pearson
Chillie Donnelly
Rory Egan
Cathal Donoghue
Bill Carroll
Jack Bryant
Cian Johnson
Cian Farrell
Keith O’Neill
Aaron Kellaghan
Cormac Egan

All these players are 23 or under. If they were to put 3 solid years in now there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be winning a tailteann cup and competitive in division 2 like Westmeath are now. It’s a big if I know but this is what our county board and senior management should be aiming for.
I will politely disagree with many of your assertions above re what lads have to offer. Can pick holes in lots of lads including many of the u20s but that would be very unfair and counter productive. If the time / life balance is right, then things can change for lads and you might get more from lads than we have only seen bits of to date. Lads in college often make certain life choices as they sometimes want to do something different. Often however, more maturity at 24 / 25 changes things for lads in a way that they do want to give it a good go. I specifically stayed away from u20s as they will all likely get opportunities.

Pearson is already in and will be important over coming years. Donnelly was in and got plenty of game time without setting the world alight and left the squad to head off this year of his own volition I believe. Egan Donoghue, Carroll Bryant Johnson Farrell, O Neill and Egan have all been in and some for a few years. Some have contributed more than others but there is a huge jump for younger lads here just yet. Many of the younger lads have struggled with injury and I believe the lads who are u20 will be left alone for the u20s this year, until they are out and rightly so. On that front, we should really be asking about the volume of games and training them best u18s-U20s had to contend with and the huge volume of serious injuries and in some cases career threatening injuries that have happened to likes of Egan, Furlong, Keith O'Neill, Tom Hyland, Kieran Dolan and Oisin Keenan Martin and possibly more. Learnings need to be taken on that front from everyone involved right down to club level.

Kellaghan is one with potential but has a lot to do physically to get to pitch of senior inter county. Bryant was a star turn of u20's but has struggled at club level to make an impact to date, given the expectation. Nigel Dunne has shown himself to be contributing a lot more than Bryant for his club and I suppose it is on that basis, that he should be reconsidered. If Niall Mac can do it at 37, why can't Dunne do it at 32 or 33? We need some senior guys in dressing room to bring young lads through
jimbob

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

jimbob17 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:50 pm If Jack Cullinane or Barry Rohan were still around, also worth a look.

Who are the young players that should be looked at that have not been in or looked at much to date that are older than the successful u20 group?

For me some may include couple of lads in Clonbullogue, Mikey Cunningham and Stefan Geoghegan, Kevin O Brien Tullamore, Conor Dunne Steven Conneely and Aidan Bracken Ballycommon, Kyle Higgins, Joe Maher and Ronan McEvoy, Oisin Kelly Ferbane / shannonbridge, Shane O Toole and Sean O Toole in Shamrocks, Shane Tierney and PJ Daly in Daingean, one or two young forwards in Erin Rovers, Cathal O Donoghue in KK. What age is William Mulhall in Walsh Island? Also has to be at least one in Rynaghs - Joseph O Connor / Niall Wynne possibly. Nigel Dunne too based on club form as he is still both good enough and young enough.
You’d wonder do lads on here follow football in the county at all with some of the names that get thrown around.

Oisin kelly has not nor ever will play football for Offaly. He’s the best hurling forward in the county. Nigel Dunne has walked off the panel on more than one occasion and hasn’t played intercounty in at least 3 years. Theres a half dozen lads you mentioned there playing for effectively junior clubs who don’t even stand out at that level. Admittedly I’d like to see higgins get a look in but he’s not been around all year. O’Toole is one who would be a good shout for goalie but if he’s walking away from u20 squads you’d wonder how he’d commit to the lifestyle at senior. There’s no tullamore player beyond whats already in the intercounty setup that would contribute to the county team, at least at this point. They’ve a huge pick but very little in the way of a blue chip forward. We need big, big men, our lack of physicality was badly exposed against westmeath last year so i hope we’ve set about amending that. Joe o conner walked out due to lack of game time though he’s better than at least one if not two options ahead of him at wing back, if he wants to go back he should be accommodated.

Is it normal for the county team to be going back so early? Or whats the purpose of meeting up this time of year? If martin murphy is involved I’d hope its with a view to him taking the reigns in a few years, what he’s done with Port is fantastic, someone that locals can really buy in to.

Any word on anyone new being looked at?

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

So it’s ok that joe o Connor has walked off a panel and he should be facilitated where Dunne and O Toole should not :lol: Dunne and O Toole have far more than o Connor to offer. I do rate o Connor and would not be against him getting another chance.
Tullamore have Ciaran Burns, Luke Egan , Luke and Harry plummet that are all worthy of a chance at this level.

I’m all for the integration of our brilliant 20s but why be ageist if ability suggests they should be there.

Dunican was a decent gk, but o Toole , Duffy or garrry all well capable replacements

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Well o conner has been on the panel for the past 8 years or thereabouts, nigel dunne left the panel 3 years ago and has never indicated that he has any interest in coming back? Nigel must be well into his 30s and while hes no doubt a stand out performer for his club, is he likely to want to commit to the lifestyle again at this stage of his life? Has O’Toole ever been in the mix with the footballers? I’m not sure what there is to be gleaned from bringing lads in their late 20s or early 30s into the setup if they’ve never played at that level before. Everything in the future will be based around adding 2/3 players every year from the development and underage squads. Not that there were any bolters that put their hands up in this year’s championship, but I don’t think being a stand out club player is going to be enough to get into future panels… could be wrong….

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Just in relation to the O’Toole chap, is hurling not his game?

TerraceTalk
Intermediate

Post by TerraceTalk »

David O’Toole would have played county hurling. Shane would be 50-50 between both codes, a very capable club player

Dunga
Junior B

Post by Dunga »

Shane played u20 football for Offaly

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Sean o Toole the Gk I was talking about. Chip they call him

Behindthegoal
Junior A

Post by Behindthegoal »

There is trial matches being held alongside the panel that has been picked. So at least they are looking at everyone and nobody can complain they aren’t on the panel or weren’t given a chance

Behindthegoal
Junior A

Post by Behindthegoal »

Niall mc and Johnny Maloney uncertain about returns. Jordan hayes going on 6 month tour of duty missing the whole league. Paddy dunican gone for the year. Niall Darby too obviously. Keith O’Neill and John Furlong nursing injuries unsure if they can join the squad. The two Cian’s back but have fitness work to do to get up to inter county standard. Cormac Egan back too Nigel dunne played the trial game.

pigeon house biffo
All Star

So i make it we’re without dunican rigney moloney hayes and mcnamee, our keeper full back centre half best midfielder and best forward.

Could be a long year

May be better to rip the band aid off now and set about replacing those players now. Carl Stewart also gone which is a real shame

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Eoin Carroll also won’t be back until May which is disappointing but Peter Cunningham will be available. We really have a shortage of quality midfielders in the county, maybe Cathal Donoghue can fill that void once fit?

Also do we know if the manager has made contact with Michael Brazil? He should be brought back into the fold if at all possible.

And do we know why Rigney won’t be back? His injury was more than a year ago now so he should be ready to play by January I would’ve thought.