League & Championship hurling 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: League & Championship hurling 2022

Post by SearingDrive »

Come on FairPlay. Put your thoughts on the forum, by giving us your analysis of today’s Senior Hurling Final.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:43 am In fairness, you weren't the target audience for that one, just as I'm aware I'm not the target audience for your observations.
But come back this evening and give us a review of the radio commentary.
Fairplayalways wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:39 am Started reading one post and had to stop as ide miss the County final itself 😁
M’ic drop

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

SearingDrive wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:32 am Come on FairPlay. Put your thoughts on the forum, by giving us your analysis of today’s Senior Hurling Final.
Before he does….. https://youtu.be/9hsPNjEMOJ0

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:43 am In fairness, you weren't the target audience for that one, just as I'm aware I'm not the target audience for your observations.
But come back this evening and give us a review of the radio commentary.
Fairplayalways wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:39 am Started reading one post and had to stop as ide miss the County final itself 😁
Unfortunately I and many won't be able to attend with family life and other matters so while avid Gaa supporter often TV and radio commentary is as good as it gets for me (and many more) If there is any point of note I pick up on rest assured I will highlight it here, interesting and great posts always by all on here😉

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

frankthetank wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:46 am
SearingDrive wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:32 am Come on FairPlay. Put your thoughts on the forum, by giving us your analysis of today’s Senior Hurling Final.
Before he does….. https://youtu.be/9hsPNjEMOJ0
I gave my observations before many on here in fact if one reads back the post of the last few days..Kk by 3 or 4 a strong possibility but ime going for Shinrone by 1-20 to 2-16 as per my post a few days ago..thet won't want to let this chance pass me thinks..

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

What a win excellent throughout the field.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

One has to hand it to Shinrone, whether KK hurled well or not, Shinrone wanted that final and fair dues to them, they took some mighty scalps along the way, my predictions were not far off score wise, be it I said they'd win by 1..theyd have taken that.. Great to see a new team come through..

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Well done to both Crinkill & Shinrone on their county final success today. Both deserved winners !!!

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

The better and fitter team on the day won. Shinrone scored some outrageous points and Cleary at full forward was the main man, scoring 5 points from play and causing trouble anytime the ball was hit into him.
KK in the first 15 mins could have put this game to bed if they had taken a couple of glorious goal chances from the two young Kavanaghs at corner forward, Shinrone got into the game then and never looked back and kicked on in the second half with some wonderful long range points.
New territory now going into the Leinster championship against Naas in Newbridge, which won’t be one bit easy, it would be great to see Shinrone push on but that’s for another day, congrats and enjoy the celebrations

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Well done Shinrone. Fully deserving. Seemed to have really turned a corner in last year or two in that they are showing way more grit in the tighter games to get over the line. Full value for win today. Killian Sampson was outstanding throughout. Brother Jason really carried fight in 2nd half in forwards and Ciaran Cleary really had the game of his life. Assume he got MOM? Their long range shooting in general was immense with 22 points from play mentioned on the radio.

But really what I liked about them was how they played as a team and worked for each other, both on the ball and in their tackling. Best man in best position generally got the ball which was a bit of an issue for them in other years. Their tackles were done with a ferocity that reminded you of Kk maybe 6 or 7 years ago. They showed real intent and maturity and probably could have won by more.

Their full back line was solid throughout and Eamon Cleary made a brilliant diving save to his right (among others) when KK got back to 5 near the end. Cleary at centre back was solid and read the game really well, particularly in 2nd half. To a man, their midfield and forward unit work rate was excellent and probably the main reason they won. They totally suffocated KK and as a result, the quality of ball that KK forwards received was reduced.

KK will be disappointed with their performance today and rightly so. They were well beaten by a much better team. Their older lads have created a great template to follow and they have had lots of good times. With the talent they have on the way, they will be back in very near future. There is no fear of KK.
jimbob

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

I really enjoy the match.
The brand of hurling from Shinrone was brilliant. They mixed the game up so well.
The spine of the team was outstanding. They hurler as a unit. they hit it long, short and always looked for space.
picking out their best hurler was imposable, they were all outstanding,
They should have won by more.
They made the breakthrough now. So, the future could be very bright.
Ciaran Cleary i'm going pick him out for his ability to hold the whole team together. Good ball, Bad Ball he never let it go out of play and dragged the backs to him.

I might have to re-valuate Michael Fennelly after this :-)

Kilcormac Killoughey was beating in every position. They can't say they didn't turn up; they were just not let.
The issue that Birr game showed there exposed.
That said there a lot of very young players on that team.

Normally i pick my team of year but i haven't been to enough games this year to give an honest opinion.
but a few other on here would have. I love to see your teams of the year?
“Common sense is not so common.”

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Well done to Shinrone. There is something special when a team makes a first-time breakthrough.
They've been hovering around the senior ranks for as long as I can remember but mostly never seemed like they were going to kick on.

A win like this will hopefully give the club and their players an extra fill up of self-belief. Neutrals will hope they kick on to another level and it benefits the county team.
Who knows, it could be a one off like Shannonbridge winning their only football title in 1996 and falling away, or the beginning of a golden age, like what K-K had after the 2012 breakthrough.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

good points above, let them (Shinrone) enjoy their moment for now, the thought of would it be a one off did strike my mind after the game, hopefully not the case and probably not, I am neutral and was delighted for Shinrone this year.

Behindthegoal
Junior A
Club: Ballinagar

Post by Behindthegoal »

1. Eamonn Cleary (Shinrone)
2. Darren Crean (Shinrone)
3. Ciaran Burke (Ballinamere)
4. Oisin Murphy (Birr)
5. Jordan Quinn (Kk)
6. Michael Cleary (Shinrone)
7. Killian Sampson (Shinrone)
8.Cillian Kiely (Kk)
9.Conor Mahon (Kk)
10. Patrick Clancy (Belmont)
11. Donal Morkan (Shinrone)
12. Cathal Kiely (Kk)
13. David Nally (Belmont)
14.Ciaran Cleary (Shinrone)
15. Jason Sampson (Shinrone)

My stab at a team of the year! These teams are always debatable just a bit of fun.

7 Shinrone
4 Kk
2 Belmont
1 Birr
1 Ballinamere

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Next up for Shinrone in their maiden voyage into the Leinster club is Naas, this will be a fifty fifty game in Newbridge.
Naas after wining the last 4 in Kildare and are present All Ireland Intermediate champions, they were not really tested in Kildare but will be without 3 very good county players in Ritchie Hogan (full back), Ross Kelly (Centre back) and Shane Ryan (corner forward).
They still have plenty of County players left in their ranks, Brian Byrne, Conal Boran, Jack Sheridan & James Burke.
Burke and Byrne are dual players are playing this Sunday v Clane in the football county final.
So all to play for for Shinrone.