Minors hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
private joker
All Star
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by private joker » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:41 pm

That's the situation for Sunday and it ain't changing

FerbaneInsider
Junior A
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:50 pm
Club: Ferbane

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by FerbaneInsider » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:45 pm

private joker wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:41 pm
That's the situation for Sunday and it ain't changing
I know, I just think this could end badly.

dubbiff
Intermediate
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:46 am

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by dubbiff » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:49 pm

Any idea what time the gates open? Trying to plan my departure from the big smoke and taking all factors into account.....M50, Irish Open, parking and the unexpected

FerbaneInsider
Junior A
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:50 pm
Club: Ferbane

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by FerbaneInsider » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:57 pm

dubbiff wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:49 pm
Any idea what time the gates open? Trying to plan my departure from the big smoke and taking all factors into account.....M50, Irish Open, parking and the unexpected
I think you should probably head now to be sure of getting in :lol:

User avatar
bracknaghboy
All Star
Posts: 926
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:09 pm

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by bracknaghboy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:10 pm

I thought these days that an event of this nature where they expect more than 75% capacity to be met had to be all ticket.
In this instance under 16s don't need a ticket so is it not out of the question that 10,000 under 16s could turn up? At what point will they stop admitting them? At this stage this is some mess. This was being predicted 10 days by the man on the street and here we are.
They could have just made it all ticket and charge under 16's say 4 Euro in. Sell the 27,000 out and leave it at that. That way they'd know only 27,000 would there......as it stand over 30,000 could land at the gate. What then?
This is a highly unusual situation and it's incredible that the GAA are walking themselves into a predictable and preventable issue.
They might be hoping for rain yet Sunday!!
"Oh, Maggie, I wished I'd never seen your face, I'll get on back home one of these days"

FerbaneInsider
Junior A
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:50 pm
Club: Ferbane

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by FerbaneInsider » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:27 am

The game has now sold out.

Faithful Future
Junior C
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:27 pm

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by Faithful Future » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:42 am

Hopefully the GAA have got this right and everyone is able to make it into the ground safely on Sunday. It really shows how this young team have captured the imagination of the county and massive credit must go to our county board who have got so much right and worked with clubs to get young people to these games.

It's very difficult to predict how this is going to go, remember these guys are 15, 16 & 17!
From what I have seen, Tipperary are really an excellent team but so are we. If we can keep it tight at the back early doors I think we will stand a chance. Our backline is so well balanced and given that midfield and Dan R also drop deep I do think Tipp will find it difficult to find space and build up a big score.

Up the far end, we will really need all of our forwards chipping in with a couple of scores. A goal or two will really swing this one. Hopefully our big players are able to find space in the 2nd half as things open up as I think the first half is going to be very tight. There is likely to be 15-20k Faithful supporters in attendance, hopefully we can get behind the lads when it matters most and help get them over the line.

Regardless of the result, I think this team has already set a spark in a new generation of Offaly hurlers & footballers. That Monday night in Portlaoise will live long in the memory and coupled with our u20 football heroes, Offaly kids are now growing up in an age where in hurling & football we can go all the way - this is priceless.

My prediction is that this will come down to the last 10 minutes and with the faithful roar, we will be able to edge out a 2 point win. More importantly, hopefully our lads realise that they are already legends of the county and when they set foot on the pitch they are able to enjoy every minute of this special occasion.

As a side note, excellent to see flags up all over the county - wouldn't it be great if everyone brought the green white and gold flags down to nowlan park on Sunday like we saw in the 80s & 90s.

Uibh Fhaile abú

frankthetank
All Star
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:22 am

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by frankthetank » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:18 am

FerbaneInsider wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:27 am
The game has now sold out.
City end tickets still available.

SearingDrive
All Star
Posts: 1020
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by SearingDrive » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:09 pm

Faithful Future wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:42 am
Hopefully the GAA have got this right and everyone is able to make it into the ground safely on Sunday. It really shows how this young team have captured the imagination of the county and massive credit must go to our county board who have got so much right and worked with clubs to get young people to these games.

It's very difficult to predict how this is going to go, remember these guys are 15, 16 & 17!
From what I have seen, Tipperary are really an excellent team but so are we. If we can keep it tight at the back early doors I think we will stand a chance. Our backline is so well balanced and given that midfield and Dan R also drop deep I do think Tipp will find it difficult to find space and build up a big score.

Up the far end, we will really need all of our forwards chipping in with a couple of scores. A goal or two will really swing this one. Hopefully our big players are able to find space in the 2nd half as things open up as I think the first half is going to be very tight. There is likely to be 15-20k Faithful supporters in attendance, hopefully we can get behind the lads when it matters most and help get them over the line.

Regardless of the result, I think this team has already set a spark in a new generation of Offaly hurlers & footballers. That Monday night in Portlaoise will live long in the memory and coupled with our u20 football heroes, Offaly kids are now growing up in an age where in hurling & football we can go all the way - this is priceless.

My prediction is that this will come down to the last 10 minutes and with the faithful roar, we will be able to edge out a 2 point win. More importantly, hopefully our lads realise that they are already legends of the county and when they set foot on the pitch they are able to enjoy every minute of this special occasion.

As a side note, excellent to see flags up all over the county - wouldn't it be great if everyone brought the green white and gold flags down to nowlan park on Sunday like we saw in the 80s & 90s.

Uibh Fhaile abú
I will watch the game on TG4. I have not attended the previous games, and Offaly won. Why change now?. I will be supporting our minors on the day. Offaly to take the day.

User avatar
Pat Mustard
Junior A
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:04 am

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by Pat Mustard » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:03 pm

All the underage clubs were sent a questionnaire and all kids going with there clubs are accounted for and being sent to a separate stand

Kevin
All Star
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:00 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by Kevin » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:55 pm

Best of Luck to the team and all involved!!!

COME ON OFFALY!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

User avatar
joe bloggs
All Star
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:07 pm
Location: canal side

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by joe bloggs » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:40 pm

Pat Mustard wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:03 pm
All the underage clubs were sent a questionnaire and all kids going with there clubs are accounted for and being sent to a separate stand
That only tells them how many are travelling on each bus being organised by clubs. There will be many thousands more coming along with parents.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Doon Exile
County player
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: up in the air

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by Doon Exile » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:26 pm

Best of luck to team and management. 🤞🤞🤞 for a win here.

Hope everyone gets in safely to watch the game.
Doon exile....

FerbaneInsider
Junior A
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:50 pm
Club: Ferbane

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by FerbaneInsider » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:50 am

It’s clear now that the GAA have realised they’ve cocked up with tomorrow’s game.

Nowlan Park’s events control manager has been on the airwaves telling people that everything is under control yet revealed they’ve sold 19,000 adult tickets.

19,000 adults plus the 2,500 U16’s going on official club busses leaves just 5,500 spaces for all the U16’s going with adults and all the U16’s going on private busses that weren’t organised by clubs...

If there’s an average of 1 U16 for every 2 adults, that’s 9,500 U16’s for the 5,500 remaining spaces available... and even if we go conservative with the U16 numbers and say 1 U16 for every 3 adults, then that’s 6,333 U16’s for 5,500 spaces.

I hope I’m wrong but these numbers just don’t add up and there’s the potential for significant problems outside the ground, especially in the stand where adults that have paid for tickets are likely to find their seat taken by an U16.

Nowlan Park has also been capped at 25,000 for big games in the past, if that’s the case this time then there’ll be serious trouble.

In a GAA article yesterday it said “The 25% is based on previous attendance records where under 16's had free admission.”

If this is the logic they’ve used to decide how many seats to hold back for U16’s then it’s deeply flawed because Offaly haven’t been in a minor final since 1989!

It smells more like they drew up those numbers a couple of days ago after seeing the uproar on social media to cover their arses.

Anyway, we’ll find out soon enough...

Buttons
All Star
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:34 pm
Club: Club

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by Buttons » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:34 am

U16s are free but you can count in 17 and 18 year olds too. They will all chance it.

Between driving down, parking and getting into Nowlan park I think it might put Dublin airport chaos to shame.

Best of luck, for a small county we have had some days out in our life that other counties could only dream of. Also getting the kids involved will drive them on to hopefully be county players.

Post Reply