Minors hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by greenairfield »

ah lethimoutwithit I could not agree with you more.
Especially on the point of Laois county board what a farce it was. In relation to the game I thought Offaly were just far superior to Laois and the scorline casually suggests that. The backline seemed quite imense and we have some lovely pace in the forward line too. Great day for Offaly hurling and for clubs like Tubber and Clara to produce hurlers like that you have to give it to them. We will have a fair shot at the all ireland now.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Before the game some locals were predicting the venue may struggle with the crowd.
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=26390.1740

About 40 minutes before throw in there was already a sizable crowd outside and spilling onto the road. They were starting to open more stiles but you could see the place was already struggling to cope. Some of it is unavoidable as the scanning the bar codes takes time. With so much local interest, perhaps they were down on volunteers to help.

The ground layout is poor, inside and out. They should be able to funnel the bulk of the crowd to the back of main stand and process the tickets there and get them off the road. There was little active stewarding - bibs, barriers, lads shouting into megaphones to direct people. Lorries were still trying to get by at this point.

Also, the pitch access is poor. From the sideline terrace there is only small gate with a big drop, which explains the time it took to clear the field at half time.

These are the kind of issue that have caused the Health and Safety assessors to slash capacities. It's 20 years since they built the stand and I'd say the rest of the ground could do with a revamp.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

It is an area for all of us to consider, volunteering to help with stewarding in OCP. Not an easy job but crucial. I think the Leinster council need to take note of that and for future reference there should be no toss of a coin. This would not have happened in Tullamore.

Offaly are lucky to have the administrators like Christy Todd and the stewards that turn up for OCP for so many big games and they should not be taken for granted either.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Anyone have a link or could explain to the format for the remainder of the competition?

Well done to all involved. For me the most important thing is that it gives everyone in the county incentive to drive on that little bit more - kids in the county now have their first ever experience of seeing Offaly hurlers win a big game on a big occasion, club coaches of underage team have a good example to use to inspire their players of what is possible, the players themselves now have a taste of what success looks like and hopefully want more.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

llkj wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:19 pm Anyone have a link or could explain to the format for the remainder of the competition?
Offaly into the semis with Tipp. 3 team group to decides who else gets there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_All- ... ampionship

Bord na Mona man
All Star

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:01 pm It is an area for all of us to consider, volunteering to help with stewarding in OCP. Not an easy job but crucial. I think the Leinster council need to take note of that and for future reference there should be no toss of a coin. This would not have happened in Tullamore.

Offaly are lucky to have the administrators like Christy Todd and the stewards that turn up for OCP for so many big games and they should not be taken for granted either.
A throw in delay can happen, I remember for example there was a 5 minute delay in 2013 for the Waterford match as people had to buy tickets from a caravan and then go through the stiles. Now with full digital payments that wouldn't happen.

The stewarding at OCP is of a high standard though. For big matches there is always an army of volunteers and the directions and communications are clear.
Another thing that helps is a functioning PA system which was missing in MW Hire Park. No announcements about delays, subs, injury time or presentation speeches could be heard on the terraces. If there was some sort of emergency situation they would have had no proper means to communicate it.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:42 pm
llkj wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:19 pm Anyone have a link or could explain to the format for the remainder of the competition?
Thank you. That wiki page is fantastic. Really well laid out. I also like the format of the championship with each team getting games against teams of their own level and still having a shot at stepping up. Interesting with Galway playing in a round robin. Maybe this is not the first year of this, but it is certainly the first year that I have been invested enough to go seek it out.

At this age, it is so important for players to get meaningful games to give them a real sense of what inter-county is all about.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I’ll leave the technical stuff for another day, but a Leinster final win is massive on so many levels. And I’m just echoing what @llkj has contributed earlier.

A trophy to bring to the forthcoming summer camps.

This isn’t some team from 100 miles away that you see on TV. These are your neighbours, they’re in your school, you see them at your local club, their younger brothers, sisters and cousins are in your class. This is local, it’s tangible, living, breathing. And you can have a part of this if you are prepared to work and develop and improve.

The quality of the performance sets the standard for all other Offaly teams. The work ethic and discipline of that team is their hallmark. Discipline isn’t merely not fouling, it’s adhering to a game plan, tackling correctly, making the supporting run. That’s what people need to measure up to.

This could be 1986 again. Teenagers wanting to be ‘a Minor’. The white and yellow hoodies worn by the squad marked one out as ‘a Minor’, everyone coveted one. This year's mint green tops can be the same.
llkj wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:19 pmWell done to all involved. For me the most important thing is that it gives everyone in the county incentive to drive on that little bit more - kids in the county now have their first ever experience of seeing Offaly hurlers win a big game on a big occasion, club coaches of underage team have a good example to use to inspire their players of what is possible, the players themselves now have a taste of what success looks like and hopefully want more.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Jesus lads, still buzzing for our minors last night.

What an atmosphere, what a crowd!!!

12500 over 16s and adults, at least 4 to 5 thousand kids, phenomenal experience for them young men, delighted is an understatement!!!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It’s hard enough find dates and stuff online. There’s nothing on the main gaa.ie site anyway. I pulled the below from the Offaly GAA master fixtures list and the Galway and Laois GAA websites.

Galway play Clare in the All-Ireland round robin this Saturday in Athenry (Richie Fitz is refereeing). Laois play the loser on Saturday 28th May, and the other one on Saturday 4th June.

The All-Ireland Minor semi-finals are on weekend 18th/19th June, the same weekend as the All-Ireland Senior quarter-finals. The All-Ireland Minor Final is on weekend 2nd/3rd July, the same weekend as the Senior semi-finals.
Bord na Mona man wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:42 pm
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

A few random incoherent thoughts from last night:

1. As mentioned frequently the venue last night was a shambles. And not for the first time this accusation can be laid at Laois GAA. Only a few years ago a football qualifier between Laois and Offaly had to be delayed. How hard can it be to open all turnstiles and man them?

2. The amount of tight muscles, most predominantly cramp affecting the players last night was startling. Yes it seemed to affect the Offaly players more but Laois players were also stretching calves at various intervals. It began to happen from the 40th minute onwards. Could it possibly be something to do with the make up of the pitch at OMP? If it was only one team I would say they got their training wrong but for both teams to be at it? Really strange.

3. The turquoise tops being worn by our senior and minor hurlers are absolutely horrific.

4. Offaly have unbelievable pace in their back line.

5. Offaly have an amazing appetite for work in the middle third.

6. Offaly need to work on decision making with regards long distance shooting. 17 wides vs Laois the first day, 15 vs Dublin in the semi-final and 13 last night. Improve the shooting by 50% and Offaly are looking at close to 30 point totals. Damn hard beat that.

7. Was disappointed management at no stage in the 2nd half played with a 3 man full forward line. I get it, I get it, modern hurling etc etc. Get Dan Ravenhill on the ball as a spare man in shooting positions. But the work that was asked of Adam Screeney and his litany of corner forward partners was astronomical. I feel a 3 man Full Forward line for a few minutes with that breeze would have caused Laois all sorts of bother. Maybe get a valuable goal, game is put to bed and revert to 2 men inside with extra bodies out the field then. I hope there is more flexibility in our attacking philosophy come All Ireland Semi-Final Day.

8. There was more than 12,500 there last night.

9. Huge congratulations to all involved last night. A momentous occasion for Offaly hurling.

10. All Ireland Senior Semi Finals are on in 46 and 47 days. Surely Offaly don't have to wait that long for their semi -final? Are they still curtain raisers to those games? I see Galway are playing Clare in the opening game of the Round Robin this Saturday in Athenry.

Edit - I see POTH has answered number 10 for me. Appreciated!

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Will the minor semi finals be held in croke Park before the senior games?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

frankthetank wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:58 pm 6. Offaly need to work on decision making with regards long distance shooting. 17 wides vs Laois the first day, 15 vs Dublin in the semi-final and 13 last night. Improve the shooting by 50% and Offaly are looking at close to 30 point totals. Damn hard beat that.

7. Was disappointed management at no stage in the 2nd half played with a 3 man full forward line. I get it, I get it, modern hurling etc etc. Get Dan Ravenhill on the ball as a spare man in shooting positions. But the work that was asked of Adam Screeney and his litany of corner forward partners was astronomical. I feel a 3 man Full Forward line for a few minutes with that breeze would have caused Laois all sorts of bother. Maybe get a valuable goal, game is put to bed and revert to 2 men inside with extra bodies out the field then. I hope there is more flexibility in our attacking philosophy come All Ireland Semi-Final Day.
It's all a trade off. Withdraw an inside forward and you'll contest better outfield.
The decisions are made for you - be prepared to take long range shots and live with the inevitable wide count.

Two up front was the magic number for Offaly because they stayed far enough apart to both have to be double marked. An extra man up would have crowded things. Look at the first half where Laois kept players up but dropped a lot of ball straight down the middle into a crowd.
I think Offaly got it right on the setups and also the quality of deliveries was a bit better.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:10 am
frankthetank wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:58 pm 6. Offaly need to work on decision making with regards long distance shooting. 17 wides vs Laois the first day, 15 vs Dublin in the semi-final and 13 last night. Improve the shooting by 50% and Offaly are looking at close to 30 point totals. Damn hard beat that.

It's all a trade off. Withdraw an inside forward and you'll contest better outfield.
The decisions are made for you - be prepared to take long range shots and live with the inevitable wide count.

Two up front was the magic number for Offaly because they stayed far enough apart to both have to be double marked. An extra man up would have crowded things. Look at the first half where Laois kept players up but dropped a lot of ball straight down the middle into a crowd.
I think Offaly got it right on the setups and also the quality of deliveries was a bit better.
Offaly played two sweepers in the first half and went long with every puck out and lost most of them though.
Doon exile....

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Offaly only played with sweepers as mcgrath had them set up that way