Club Hurling championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Club Hurling championship

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

jimbob17 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:30 pm Just out of interest, when was the last time Shinrone made a co senior semi final?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

They got to knock out stages a few years back I think (I stand corrected) and I think was in Banagher beat them, without researching that I think they did get to QF or something some years ago, again, if anyone digs out the exact stat let us know.

Wasnt at the Birr Banagher game, I heard while Rynaghs had out a strong team and yes Birr were very good, Rynaghs may not have gone full tilt after the game, hard to know or understand how you do that with a strong team out but again only going from what I heard. Banagher, I think would rather face Kilcormac in semi -final than a final, Kilcormac if they get to a final wont want to lose 2 in a row so regardless of how they are going would be very hard beat in final. That said, Coolderry will probably be favourites against Shinrone, and will be a very tough nut in a county final for either Rynaghs or Kilcormac. Shinrone though to be fair, are in semifinal after getting their act together, so will be a tough tough game for Coolderry. Their young team might, just might stop what we all thought was a Coolderry team at the end of an era as such, but they have done little wrong all year too.

I would love to see Shinrone get to the final and win it out, but its hard to see beyond Rynaghs getting over KK in some shape or form and Coolderry just might have the experience on Shinrone, but both predicted losing teams I mention wil be chomping at the bit here to get to the final and wont be found wanting and one never knows..

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

You're taking the piss, right?

(Nothing wrong with that, just checking.)
Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:36 pm They got to knock out stages a few years back I think (I stand corrected) and I think was in Banagher beat them, without researching that I think they did get to QF or something some years ago, again, if anyone digs out the exact stat let us know.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:36 pm They got to knock out stages a few years back I think (I stand corrected) and I think was in Banagher beat them, without researching that I think they did get to QF or something some years ago, again, if anyone digs out the exact stat let us know.

Wasnt at the Birr Banagher game, I heard while Rynaghs had out a strong team and yes Birr were very good, Rynaghs may not have gone full tilt after the game, hard to know or understand how you do that with a strong team out but again only going from what I heard. Banagher, I think would rather face Kilcormac in semi -final than a final, Kilcormac if they get to a final wont want to lose 2 in a row so regardless of how they are going would be very hard beat in final. That said, Coolderry will probably be favourites against Shinrone, and will be a very tough nut in a county final for either Rynaghs or Kilcormac. Shinrone though to be fair, are in semifinal after getting their act together, so will be a tough tough game for Coolderry. Their young team might, just might stop what we all thought was a Coolderry team at the end of an era as such, but they have done little wrong all year too.

I would love to see Shinrone get to the final and win it out, but its hard to see beyond Rynaghs getting over KK in some shape or form and Coolderry just might have the experience on Shinrone, but both predicted losing teams I mention wil be chomping at the bit here to get to the final and wont be found wanting and one never knows..
To the best of my knowledge Shinrone have gotten to the last 12 Q-Finals, when Q-Finals were part of the championship structure, and lost 11 of them. These defeats ranged from them being outclassed (2017 vs K/K), to the comical (2019 vs Birr), to the outright bizarre (2016 vs Kinnitty).

Shinrone in a knockout game vs Coolderry…..it’s gonna take a mammoth Shinrone performance to exorcise those mental demons.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

In senior B , clara vs tullamore, lusma vs clodaigh gaels.
Intermediate. Birr vs shamrocks

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Why dows the county board have to play all the knock out games across different grades all at the same time.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Presumably the fact that daylight from next weekend becomes an issue is in their thinking.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

private joker wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:35 pm In senior B , clara vs tullamore, lusma vs clodaigh gaels.
You’d have to think that Clodaigh Gaels vs Lusmagh will be the closer of the 2 games here. Before the championship started CG would have been many people’s favourites to win this competition but a defeat to Clara and a draw vs K/K’s 2nd team doesn’t paint their form in a good light. However suspensions did affect them in their game vs K/K.

I’ll still give them a hesitant vote due to greater scoring power up front but there’s no disputing the fact that this group hasn’t fulfilled it’s potential since their relegation from Senior at end of 2017 season.

In the other game Tullamore should win relatively comfortably but both teams have big football commitments this weekend so they’ll be hoping for cleans bills of health going into their semi-final.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:15 pm You're taking the piss, right?

(Nothing wrong with that, just checking.)
not taking the p*ss at all, unfortunately I cannot remember each and every game or round from years back, I did remember them on ocassions needing a win at a critical juncture and unfortunately cannot remember whether they were knock out rounds as in QF or SF or last round of group games to qualify for knock out stages, so sorry but follow it to a degree and there was a time when I could tell anyone who played who when what the score was and how the teams fared afterwards but that day is well gone with the pace of life and the sheer amount of games at inter county level to process..I would have guessed a few QFs if pushed, would have said no SF previously but as I say I dont have the time nor the memory to go back anymore..nice to see a new team emerge too if one could call Shinrone a new team, but new to this stage...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:53 am
private joker wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:35 pm In senior B , clara vs tullamore, lusma vs clodaigh gaels.
You’d have to think that Clodaigh Gaels vs Lusmagh will be the closer of the 2 games here. Before the championship started CG would have been many people’s favourites to win this competition but a defeat to Clara and a draw vs K/K’s 2nd team doesn’t paint their form in a good light. However suspensions did affect them in their game vs K/K.

I’ll still give them a hesitant vote due to greater scoring power up front but there’s no disputing the fact that this group hasn’t fulfilled it’s potential since their relegation from Senior at end of 2017 season.

In the other game Tullamore should win relatively comfortably but both teams have big football commitments this weekend so they’ll be hoping for cleans bills of health going into their semi-final.
Tullamore will win the Senior B championship. Cl. Gaels v Lusmagh could go either way.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Clodaigh gaels vs lusma should be close but gaels hammered lusma in group stage so I don't know how it will go.
Tullamore vs clara was very close in group stage with clara leading with 5 minutes to go before losing by 3. How both fair injury wise with football will dictate alot.

aigne
Junior B

Post by aigne »

Does anyone know what is going on in the JHC? Surprised to see a 4 way round robin competition on offaly.gaa.ie to separate 3rd and 4th (4 teams finished on 6 points). Why not just decide it on scoring difference? The only thing I can think of is the criss-cross formation so scoring difference is not apples and apples, but I wonder would this have happened in SHC also? Seems like a lot of extra games as we head into winter

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Under rule, scoring difference couldn't be used as some teams had been awarded walkovers, so some had played more matches than others. So there is a four way play off.
As I understand it, this will involve one straight knockout round (effectively quarter finals), though I could be wrong.
aigne wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:46 pm Does anyone know what is going on in the JHC? Surprised to see a 4 way round robin competition on offaly.gaa.ie to separate 3rd and 4th (4 teams finished on 6 points). Why not just decide it on scoring difference? The only thing I can think of is the criss-cross formation so scoring difference is not apples and apples, but I wonder would this have happened in SHC also? Seems like a lot of extra games as we head into winter

aigne
Junior B

Post by aigne »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:02 pm Under rule, scoring difference couldn't be used as some teams had been awarded walkovers, so some had played more matches than others. So there is a four way play off.
As I understand it, this will involve one straight knockout round (effectively quarter finals), though I could be wrong.
Thanks, that is interesting, I had not thought of the walkovers. I think the only team of the 4 involved who had a walkover was Coolderry in the last round. I think they would have needed a 36+ point win over Gracefield to jump into 4th.

A straight quarter final type playoff would make sense, maybe the round robin group drawn up on the website is a mistake

aigne
Junior B

Post by aigne »

private joker wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:20 am How are edenderry doing this year in junior hurling?
Very good win in first round, looked like they were going to continue Junior B momentum into Junior A. Lost 3 scoring forwards then to injuries and other unavoidable reasons, and then a couple of narrow defeats and momentum lost. For most of team, past 16 months was first time playing adult hurling, so hopefully for hurling in east Offaly progress will continue. Great to see the underage work being done in Edenderry as well, there has not been as many underage hurling teams in Edenderry in decades