Offaly u20 2021

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Post Reply
Doon Exile
Senior
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: up in the air

Re: Offaly u20 2021

Post by Doon Exile » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:08 pm

Lone Shark wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:25 pm
The likelihood is that the final will be in Croke Park before one of the two semi-finals, which is Mayo vs Dublin (Saturday the 14th, 6pm) and Tyrone vs Kerry (Sunday the 15th, 3.30pm). I'm not sure what the criteria will be for deciding which game. If it's Offaly vs Roscommon, they might say that they'll put the two Leinster vs Connacht games on together, if it's Offaly vs Down, they might decide there's less pressure on tickets for a Kerry/Tyrone game. Probably won't know for a week or so though.
Demand will be huge from both Mayo and Dublin fans so no way will they double up on that one. I think it’s unlikely they’ll do Croker as the demand will outweigh supply in the Kerry/Tyrone.

It’s a shame as that’s what we’d all love but we could end up in cusack park v Roscommon or Cavan/Navan v Down.
Doon exile....

User avatar
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Posts: 3671
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:34 am
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly u20 2021

Post by Bord na Mona man » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:50 am

I don't recall an Offaly team at any grade ever having such an abundance of speed and running. This makes them one hell of an exciting group to watch. They don't come fitted with any slow or reverse gears and this makes it both brilliant and nail biting also.
Again on Saturday what could have been rout ended up being a bit closer than it should have.
Both the second half goals came at just the right time as there was a real likelihood that Cork were on target to pull level.

All that said, that was a good Cork team they were up against. Cork were far too slow with the ball in the early stages and essentially lost the game with the 2nd quarter black card.

frankthetank
All Star
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:22 am

Re: Offaly u20 2021

Post by frankthetank » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:30 am

Lone Shark wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:25 pm
The likelihood is that the final will be in Croke Park before one of the two semi-finals, which is Mayo vs Dublin (Saturday the 14th, 6pm) and Tyrone vs Kerry (Sunday the 15th, 3.30pm). I'm not sure what the criteria will be for deciding which game. If it's Offaly vs Roscommon, they might say that they'll put the two Leinster vs Connacht games on together, if it's Offaly vs Down, they might decide there's less pressure on tickets for a Kerry/Tyrone game. Probably won't know for a week or so though.
I strongly disagree that this is is the way to go here. This final could bring 10,000 as a stand alone fixture so absolutely no reason to bring it to Croke Park where only maybe 2,000 people would see it.

By that weekend we are looking at stadiums roughly being allowed 33% of capacity (going by 25,000 out of 82,000 in CP for semis).

Going by those figures Offaly v Roscommon in Thurles could hold 15,000 or Offaly v Down in Clones could hold 10,300. Both would be adequate capacities for the final. Croke Park would not.

If it’s Offaly vs Roscommon bring it to Thurles

frankthetank
All Star
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:22 am

Re: Offaly u20 2021

Post by frankthetank » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:30 am

frankthetank wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:30 am
Lone Shark wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:25 pm
The likelihood is that the final will be in Croke Park before one of the two semi-finals, which is Mayo vs Dublin (Saturday the 14th, 6pm) and Tyrone vs Kerry (Sunday the 15th, 3.30pm). I'm not sure what the criteria will be for deciding which game. If it's Offaly vs Roscommon, they might say that they'll put the two Leinster vs Connacht games on together, if it's Offaly vs Down, they might decide there's less pressure on tickets for a Kerry/Tyrone game. Probably won't know for a week or so though.
I strongly disagree that this is is the way to go here. This final could bring 10,000 as a stand alone fixture so absolutely no reason to bring it to Croke Park where only maybe 2,000 people would see it.

By that weekend we are looking at stadiums roughly being allowed 33% of capacity (going by 25,000 out of 82,000 in CP for semis).

Going by those figures Offaly v Roscommon in Thurles could hold 15,000 or Offaly v Down in Clones could hold 10,300. Both would be adequate capacities for the final. Croke Park would not.


frankthetank
All Star
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:22 am

Re: Offaly u20 2021

Post by frankthetank » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:31 am

frankthetank wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:30 am
frankthetank wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:30 am
Lone Shark wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:25 pm
The likelihood is that the final will be in Croke Park before one of the two semi-finals, which is Mayo vs Dublin (Saturday the 14th, 6pm) and Tyrone vs Kerry (Sunday the 15th, 3.30pm). I'm not sure what the criteria will be for deciding which game. If it's Offaly vs Roscommon, they might say that they'll put the two Leinster vs Connacht games on together, if it's Offaly vs Down, they might decide there's less pressure on tickets for a Kerry/Tyrone game. Probably won't know for a week or so though.
I strongly disagree that this is is the way to go here. This final could bring 10,000 as a stand alone fixture so absolutely no reason to bring it to Croke Park where only maybe 2,000 people would see it.

By that weekend we are looking at stadiums roughly being allowed 33% of capacity (going by 25,000 out of 82,000 in CP for semis).

Going by those figures Offaly v Roscommon in Thurles could hold 15,000 or Offaly v Down in Clones could hold 10,300. Both would be adequate capacities for the final. Croke Park would not.

SearingDrive
All Star
Posts: 903
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: Offaly u20 2021

Post by SearingDrive » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:33 am

frankthetank wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:30 am
Lone Shark wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:25 pm
The likelihood is that the final will be in Croke Park before one of the two semi-finals, which is Mayo vs Dublin (Saturday the 14th, 6pm) and Tyrone vs Kerry (Sunday the 15th, 3.30pm). I'm not sure what the criteria will be for deciding which game. If it's Offaly vs Roscommon, they might say that they'll put the two Leinster vs Connacht games on together, if it's Offaly vs Down, they might decide there's less pressure on tickets for a Kerry/Tyrone game. Probably won't know for a week or so though.
I strongly disagree that this is is the way to go here. This final could bring 10,000 as a stand alone fixture so absolutely no reason to bring it to Croke Park where only maybe 2,000 people would see it.

By that weekend we are looking at stadiums roughly being allowed 33% of capacity (going by 25,000 out of 82,000 in CP for semis).

Going by those figures Offaly v Roscommon in Thurles could hold 15,000 or Offaly v Down in Clones could hold 10,300. Both would be adequate capacities for the final. Croke Park would not.

If it’s Offaly vs Roscommon bring it to Thurles
Offaly v Roscommon could be in Longford, if it’s Down, Navan may be an option.

JimBwobb
Intermediate
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Offaly u20 2021

Post by JimBwobb » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:37 am

Be some scramble for tickets :D

User avatar
Lone Shark
All Star
Posts: 5273
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
Club: Ferbane
Location: Back Home!
Contact:

Re: Offaly u20 2021

Post by Lone Shark » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:57 am

I'm not saying for a second that I think it should be in Croke Park as part of a double header, but that's the plan from what I can tell. Plans change, of course.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:22 am

Re: Offaly u20 2021

Post by frankthetank » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:37 pm

SearingDrive wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:33 am
frankthetank wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:30 am
Lone Shark wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:25 pm
The likelihood is that the final will be in Croke Park before one of the two semi-finals, which is Mayo vs Dublin (Saturday the 14th, 6pm) and Tyrone vs Kerry (Sunday the 15th, 3.30pm). I'm not sure what the criteria will be for deciding which game. If it's Offaly vs Roscommon, they might say that they'll put the two Leinster vs Connacht games on together, if it's Offaly vs Down, they might decide there's less pressure on tickets for a Kerry/Tyrone game. Probably won't know for a week or so though.
I strongly disagree that this is is the way to go here. This final could bring 10,000 as a stand alone fixture so absolutely no reason to bring it to Croke Park where only maybe 2,000 people would see it.

By that weekend we are looking at stadiums roughly being allowed 33% of capacity (going by 25,000 out of 82,000 in CP for semis).

Going by those figures Offaly v Roscommon in Thurles could hold 15,000 or Offaly v Down in Clones could hold 10,300. Both would be adequate capacities for the final. Croke Park would not.

If it’s Offaly vs Roscommon bring it to Thurles
Offaly v Roscommon could be in Longford, if it’s Down, Navan may be an option.
Longford has a capacity if 8,000. 1/3 of that is around 2,600. Not sufficent at all for the final.

Buttons
All Star
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:34 pm
Club: Club

Re: Offaly u20 2021

Post by Buttons » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:45 pm

Could they move it back a week and have a double header on Saturday with the minor hurling final?.

private joker
All Star
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Offaly u20 2021

Post by private joker » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:13 pm

Absolutely no chance of delaying the match. Can't risk it. Look at the cork hurling situation. It will be played on time.

User avatar
Lone Shark
All Star
Posts: 5273
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
Club: Ferbane
Location: Back Home!
Contact:

Re: Offaly u20 2021

Post by Lone Shark » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:37 pm

I see the Ladies Senior semi finals have been set for the 14th. Given that TG4 have the rights to those, I'd say chances are they'll want the u20 final on the 15th,to spread out their broadcasting. They'll have the u20 Hurling to accommodate too of course.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:22 am

Re: Offaly u20 2021

Post by frankthetank » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:55 pm

Lone Shark wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:37 pm
I see the Ladies Senior semi finals have been set for the 14th. Given that TG4 have the rights to those, I'd say chances are they'll want the u20 final on the 15th,to spread out their broadcasting. They'll have the u20 Hurling to accommodate too of course.
Bit of a problem for Offaly there with the 2020 Senior Hurling Championship final on that day. Surely we cant have club matches on the day of an All Ireland Final. Particularly with a Kilcormac / Killoughey player on the U20 team.

frankthetank
All Star
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:22 am

Re: Offaly u20 2021

Post by frankthetank » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:31 pm

Interesting to note that the All Ireland Under 20 hurling final between Galway and Cork has been fixed for this Saturday in Thurles. Even with Cork seniors playing Kilkenny on Sunday it wasnt brought up there to form a double header so as not to put even more pressure on the ticket allocation for Kilkenny vs Cork (not that too many from Galway would go anyways!)

This leads me to believe that our All Ireland wont be in Croke Park with a senior semi final and will be a stand alone fixture.

The 2 questions that remains now is where and whether it’ll be Saturday or Sunday.

Im predicting a 3pm Saturday afternoon game (no I havent forgotten the TG4 scheduling for ladies football either) in Thurles (vs Roscommon) or Cavan (vs Down). Clones would also definitely come into the reckoning if it’s Down. Depending really on what percentage of capacity of stadium can be used and what the predicted attendance would be.

It’s an awful pity the GAA cant just come out and give the provisional fixtures saying it such and such if Roscommon win and its such and such if Down win.

If the Saturday fixture did come to pass you would have to think that that day’s 2020 Intermediate and Senior B hurling finals would be pushed back to the next day. Intermediate final in Birr at middday, Senior B final in OCP at midday, and Senior A Final in OCP at 4 would make a lot of sense to me. Moving back the Senior A final an hour to 4pm would allow the stadoum to be fully cleared after the Senior B final ends and before the Senior A crowd start to come in.

private joker
All Star
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Offaly u20 2021

Post by private joker » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:25 pm

1pm, Sunday 15th, croke Park.

Post Reply