Niall McNamee

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
harperj
Junior A

Niall McNamee

Post by harperj »

Does Niall also play for UCD? N McNamee came on as a sub and went off injured. Whats the rules regarding Leinster club?

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

Watched some of this game yesterday evening on Setanta. He came on as a sub alright. He didn't go off injured as far as I know, the commentator made a mix up on that one.
As far as I know he'll have to declare for either Rhode or UCD (if UCD win final) he couldn't play for both teams in the Leinster Club Champ. I assume he'll be playing for Rhode and he could well end up playing his UCD team mates.

far from croghan hill
County player

Post by far from croghan hill »

there is no question of declaring or deciding who to play for.If both teams are in the leinster club champ niall must play for rhode, that is the rules of the association. However it can occur that if its two differant provinces the player can play with both until all ireland semi stage. in 1998 pat kenny of rhode played with rhode in the leinster club and with UL in the munster club
THERE IT GOES HIGH IN THE ARMS OF WILLE BRYANS!!

far from croghan hill
County player

Post by far from croghan hill »

Paul McConway was also brought on as a sub for UCD.Didnt think he was the college type :lol:
THERE IT GOES HIGH IN THE ARMS OF WILLE BRYANS!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Had to be in Dublin for Friday, so was at this game last Thursday, decent standard but still not fantastic - there was enough to suggest that Rhode could give UCD a decent game if the two of them make it that far.

A few points that I noted from it ......

(1) For all the talk of the UCD super team, Kilmacud had two goal chances and missed both, UCD had one and took it, albeit in a laboured fashion. Kilmacud were missing their two main forwards in Davoren and Vaughan, and still more or less matched the college. If the sides were to meet again at full strength I'd definitely fancy Crokes.

(2) Niall Mac did give them an extra dimension when he came on - I may be biased, but his running lines and distribution were very good. I can understand them not starting him when the 15 from the last day did so well, but I'd expect him to go to post against Vinnies.

(3) Interesting from a county point of view that McConway doesn't get on. I could understand if he was a corner forward, where he'd be competing with Niall, Paul Earls, Austim O'Malley etc, but their back line is short on stars. Dermot Geraghty got absolutely cleaned, was taken for three points from play in the first half by Ó hÉineacháin and could have conceded a goal to Cosgrove in the second if Cosgrove wasn't so short on form and confidence. Their half back line of Duffy, O'Cuív and Dunne didn't really impress me, so I'm surprised that McConway doesn't get a game after a decent summer. To be honest only McCarthy of the UCD backs looked in complete control throughout.

(4) Mark Ward looks massive, but he definitely came off second best to a much more competitive and aggressive Darren Magee in midfield.

(5) Craig Rogers of UCD was arguably the college's most dangerous forward, in terms of both getting on the ball and attacking. He'd be a weapon that would have to be planned for, and that could easily get forgotten in a forward line with so many more prominent players.

(6) UCD aren't physically very powerful at all. Pat Byrne's good running lines punched holes, so it could be a good game to look to get Roy Malone on the ball a lot if the two sides meet.