Offaly Football Panel 07

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
the rat
All Star

Offaly Football Panel 07

Post by the rat »

1.P.kelly(sham).2.g.rafferty(rynaghs).3.c.evans(bfore).4.n.grennan(bally).5.p.mconway(tull).6.s.sullivan(rhode).7.j.keane(tull).8.a.mcnamee(rhode).9.c.mcmanus(tubber).10.n.coughlan(sham).11.k.slattery(grace).12.r.guinan(bally).13.t.deehan(clara).14.p.kelleghan(rhode).15.n.mcnamee(rhode). pascal kelleghan as third midfeilder.

bench: 16.k.meehan(clara).17.s.brady.(clara).18.b.mooney(sham).19.k.casey.(st.b).20.r.dalton(eden).21.s.casey(st.b).22.d.molloy(sham).23.t.phelan(doon).24.j.reynolds(clara).25.p.bracken(rahenn).26.j.gorman(k/k).27.r.connor(w/island).28.j.coughlan(doon).29.j.rafferty(rynaghs).30.k.lynam(erin).

your thoughts please.

Kevin
All Star

Evans

Post by Kevin »

Is Evans home already?

I hope so...

Would be a big boost if he can return to his previous form.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

My first thought would be that Paschal Kelleghan has looked good this year because he's mostly been operating without any marking duties - any player would do well in that situation. The truth is he fouls too much, he doesn't defend with discipline, and there is a danger of a red card in any game he plays. I think it's a pity because we all know he's a very skilled footballer, but I think we need fielding support from our extra midfielder, not a playmaker.

McManus and Slattery at 11 and 7 were fantastic this year - I wouldn't dislodge either of them. I know I suggested before that I'd like to see those two at centre back and wing forward respectively, but on this year's form you couldn't move either of them.

I would say that Ken Casey, Dalton and Gorman are all a bit away from being the finished product yet too. Maybe they'll surprise me, but I would see them as good under 21 players who I would be content to see play senior football in 2008. If one of them plays so well in the spring that you can't ignore them, then great, but not yet. Perhaps under 21 and then junior intercounty is the way for them for now.

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

i would rather see young guys like gorman, casey, and dalton on the panel than some of the older heads the turned to last year. will colm quinn and cathal daly be playing next year?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

And if it was a straight choice between a 19 year old and a 33 year old in all cases I'd agree with you. However when last year saw guys like Leonard Mooney drop off the panel, these are the guys I'd like to see accomodated. Players that know their way around the club scene and are in the best form of their lives, an example this year being Joe Quinn I suppose.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

From memory did Mcmanus not play most championship games at midfield this year. He was tried at no 11 for some of the league games but was invariably moved. I believe Cathal Daly has called it a day for good this time.
Young Mulhall and Rory Connor are lads who have been playing well this year.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Young Byrne from Rhode deserves to be called up. Only 19 and his second year as a regular for Rhode. Never seems to have a bad day at the office. Will be a cert for u/21's.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Couldn't understand why he wasn't on the under 21's last year - a very solid player.

far from croghan hill
County player

Post by far from croghan hill »

Young Byrne from Rhode wasnt on the u 21s because he dropped out himself. Couldnt get on with the management, which is a poor excuse for a young lad aspiring to play for the county. he's meant to be fairly found of the beer aswell. Cassidy is just as good deserves a call up. Likewise Pauric Sullivan if they could manage to control his temper
THERE IT GOES HIGH IN THE ARMS OF WILLE BRYANS!!

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

over the past two years byrne has probably been one of the best defenders in the championship. steven deehan from clara might well be worth a look as well.

u21 team should be good this year:

1.bracken(erin).2.lynam(erin).3.mconway(tul).4.higgins(tubber).5.coughlan(sham).6.keane(tul).7.byrne(rhode).8.rafferty(rynaghs).9.dalton(eden).10.ryan(birr).11.molloy(sham).12.deehan(clara).13.mullhall(wisland).14.gorman(k/k).15.casey(st.b).

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

How does 'Far from Croghan Hill' know what reasons young Byrne had for dropping off the Offaly u/21 panel last year/????. Also that he's fond of the beer. This is stupid talk and could ruin a persons career. Crap talk again.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Eoin Byrne is a solid wing back for rhode who will be on the County under 21 side next year and if he applies himself properly could be somewhere in the jerseys 24-30 on the Senior County side.

talk of him been on the beer is serious codology.

redser
County player

Post by redser »

Eoin Byrne is a decent player for Rhode. Dont think he is great as a defender however. Against ferbane this year and Shamrocks in the final last year i thought he had a torid time.

An u21 panelist but not the senior panel.

Casey, Mulhall and Gorman are forwards worth bringing into the senior panel.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Bearing in mind that it'll be an amalgamated panel up until the spring, then a lot of this debate is a little moot. However I am of the belief that our existing scoring forwards are decent, and all the guys we're talking about bringing in are more inside forwards, hence I wouldn't be rushing them. Now if one of them had the makings of a ball hungry hard working wing forward, then I'd maybe scoot them up along the pecking order a bit quicker, but I think we now have McNamee/Deehan/Reynolds/Coughlan going for two corner forward slots in the team, and unless one of these young lads did something special, I'd say 2008 would be time enough.

Eoin Byrne similarly - let him play under 21, and see how he does there. Remember there's no point in having a senior panel with a dozen under 21 players on it if the under 21's themselves can't even make a Leinster semi, which they haven't in ages.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Agreed, let them play u/21 with the county to see if they are up to scratch. We have the makings of a good team, but we said the same last year. They need plenty of training and matches together.