1981 how would they fare in todays structure?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
juteman
County player

1981 how would they fare in todays structure?

Post by juteman »

Indeed these guys were leaders and strong-minded men. I am one who admits being a doubting Thomas and do not claim to be 1 of the 8000 who attended in 1980. The achievement that day would be the same as our current crop beating Kilkenny in next years Leinster final.
What they did was unprecedented –it had some luck, heroics and all that goes with such an achievement.

However I feel there are 2 changes, which will make it extremely difficult for Offaly to return to such heights. The back door and the 5 subs. These changes make it a 20-man game and favour the strong counties.

Kilkenny and Cork are the 2 strongest counties in hurling (over the last 50+ years). Period. This will continue. In any given game between these 2 and either Waterford, Tipperary, Limerick, Clare, Galway, Wexford or Offaly they will be favourites for the next 10+ years. If one manages to beat them they still face the possibility of meeting them again and I would only back 1 winner then.

The only light is that 2 other teams have to make it to the semi final where the big 2 might get caught (Galway last year) but the likelihood is that you will have to face the other in the final. It can happen that these 2 can be beaten in the semi-final but this will be the exception.

When we were at our peak it was generally felt that our teams had up to 3 weaker players, which could be accommodated by the team spirit and belief. The word weaker needs careful explanation – it is not a passenger but a player whose skill level does not match team mates but he does have a very important function i.e. Brendan Bermingham (who was my favourite player?)
The present structure does not allow for this and teams must have 20 players none of which could be described as weaker. We have never had this.

I do not feel we will be successful under the present structure and feel that it should be a knock out system, which will give every team the opportunity to believe that they can beat anyone else on any given day.

Hope this is understandable.

In 1981 would Galway and Offaly have got to an all-Ireland final if Cork, Kilkenny Tipp. and others got back in. Possibly, but what then about 85’?
JUTEMAN

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Interesting that in 1981 we beat Leix and Wexford and were in the All Ireland final. This year, we could have done the same and would still be a long, long way off getting to the final. Though back then teams like Waterford, Tipp and Clare weren't really at the races.

The current system does suit Cork and Kilkenny. They don't need to be at their peak in May or June any more. If they do get caught on the hop early on, it is an inconvenience at most.

Would have Offaly have beaten Kilkenny a few weeks later in 1980 having beaten them in the Leinster final? I'd like to think we would have, but somehow I doubt it.

In 2004, had the old system been in place, the All Ireland final would have been between Wexford, Waterford or Galway. Much more refreshing than the usual anti-climatical Cork-Kilkenny final that we had that year.

The Biff
All Star

Backwoodsmen

Post by The Biff »

Bord na Mona man wrote:In 2004, had the old system been in place, the All Ireland final would have been between Wexford, Waterford or Galway. Much more refreshing than the usual anti-climatical Cork-Kilkenny final that we had that year.
Fer fox ache do yez never want to see any progress? Do yez always want the GAA to stay in the Dark Ages? Do yez never want to see any change?

Do yez?

DO YEZ?

Well ..... based on your last example, maybe you're right. :oops:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: 1981 how would they fare in todays structure?

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Who's "we"? Were you on the team?

I can assure you that whatever deficiencies Brendan Bermingham had, he had few in the skills department. He was one of the finest of his generation.

No, I don't know who your favourite player was. (I note the question mark therein).

G'wan away and concentrate on the football.
juteman wrote: When we were at our peak it was generally felt that our teams had up to 3 weaker players, which could be accommodated by the team spirit and belief. The word weaker needs careful explanation – it is not a passenger but a player whose skill level does not match team mates but he does have a very important function i.e. Brendan Bermingham (who was my favourite player?)