Team of The Ages

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
the bare biffo
All Star

Team of The Ages

Post by the bare biffo »

I’m sure it’s been done lots of times but for want of something better to do I thought I’d put together my own fantasy Offaly football team. My memory goes back to vague recall of the 71/72 team so that’s where I started. The following is my selection, theres probably lots of well known lads who I haven’t included. But anyways……….

Goalkeeper: Martin Furlong
Only one real candidate here for me.

Right Full Back: Cathal Daly
At his best, Cathal was as good a corner back as I have seen anywhere. The only other outstanding candidates I can think of are Mick Ryan and Mick Fitzgerald, but I’ll come to Ryan in a minute.

Full Back: Paddy McCormack
Liam O’Connor was a very effective full back. In time Conor Evans, if he gets back could come into contention. I remember coming home from England in the early 90’s and going to Breffni Park to see a league quarter final against Cavan that should have been won. Think Ken Kellaghan was full back and impressed. I’m told Greg Hughes was a great player but I have no recall of him. At the end of the day “The Iron Man” is a legend.

Left Full Back: Mick Ryan
Again memories are a little vague and I think he played in the right corner, but to accommodate Daly I would give Ryan the nod over Mick Lowry/Fitzgerald.

Right Half Back: Finbarr Cullen
Eugene Mulligan, another legend, Barry Mooney worth a mention, and Pat Fitzgerald was a stylish player, but Cullen was a class act. I can’t give him the centre, so I’ll put him on the wing.

Centre Half Back: Sean Lowry
Hard to argue with two All Irelands in the same position, 10 years apart. Never the quickiest but had the physique, intelligence and skills to qualify for legendary status. Was tough as teak too. Richie Connor, though on the 40 in 82 was probably more at home here, Finbarr deserves a mention but is accommodated on the wing.

Left Half Back: Liam Currams
Maybe not the most skilful footballer but superb athlete great pace, would be perfectly at home in todays game. Tom Coffey deserves a mention and Slatts is a close second but Currams physique give him the nod for me.

Midfield: Padraig Dunne and Johnny Mooney
Tomás O’Connor,Gerry Carroll, Willie Bryan, Kieran Claffey, Ronan Mooney, Jim Grennan, lots to choose from here. If Tomás had been more robust in build he would have been a great, if Claffey stayed healthy, but the arrival of the very young P Dunne was key in the 82 win. Though Mooney was played more often in the forwards I think he was truly a midfielder. Spectacular fielder when in the mood, brilliant skills and a rogueish strain. My favourite player as a young fan.

Right Half Forward: Ciarán MacManus
Maybe not his best position but has to be included, Paddy Fenning worth a mention, just missing out on the 80’s team. Aidan O’Halloran looked good but faded, Remember seeing a young Martin Fitzpatrick coming onto the team just as the 80’s team broke up. Looked good an was unlucky to miss out. Colm Quinn the most recent candidate.

Centre Half Forward : Kevin Kilmurray
Richie Connor, Sean Grennan two great enforcers, but our favourite man at the moment gets the nod. Had the privilege of playing against Kevin Kilmurray at the end of his career when I was a young lad. Apart from his All Ireland wins he was also very influential in bringing on the you guns in the late 70’s and was unlucky to miss out on the breakthrough in 1980.

Left Half Forward: Tony McTeague
Gerry Carroll, great athlete another midfielder at heart, but too inconsistent. The great Tony McTeague simply can’t be passed over, would be worth his weight in gold now.

Right Corner Forward: Peter Brady
If you ever wanted a corner forward to play a withdrawn role Brady was yer man. Brilliant footballer. Niall Mc may get up there in time but has a bit to prove yet.

Full Forward: Matt Connor

Left Corner Forward: Brendan Lowry
Tough choice here between Lowry and Vinnie Claffey.
I think Lowry was more the quintessential corner forward while Vinnie maybe was a more rounded footballer.
Seamus Darby, how could I have forgotten. Like Sean Lowry, two all irelands ten years apart. That goal. And the forgotten performance when he bagged 1-3 from play in the Leinster final against the Buds.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

interesting topic!

does anyone have the offaly "millenium teams" - they were on the offaly express back in 2000 which had a web version which i can no longer find

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Offaly Express Millennium teams

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

turk wrote:interesting topic!

does anyone have the offaly "millenium teams" - they were on the offaly express back in 2000 which had a web version which i can no longer find
Offaly Express millennium teams were as follows:-

FOOTBALL
Martin Furlong
Paddy McCormack Greg Hughes Johnny Egan
Eugene Mulligan Nick Clavin Mickey Brady
Willie Bryan Sean Foran
Johnny Cooney Kevin Kilmurray Tony McTeague
Mick Casey Matt Connor Brendan Lowry

HURLING
Damien Martin
Aidan Fogarty Eugene Coughlan Martin Hanamy
Brian Whelahan Pat Delaney Ger Coughlan
Joachim Kelly Johnny Pilkington
Johnny Dooley Paddy Molloy Pat Carroll
Johnny Flaherty Padraig Horan Joe Dooley

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

thanks Plain!!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The Express football team seems to weigh in heavily with the first great Offaly team of the 60s.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Eugene Mulligan, has to be on the team, the first automatic All Star

Kevin
All Star

The Bare Biffo

Post by Kevin »

Thanks for bringing this up.

Particularly noteworthy for me is your mention of Martin Fitzpatrick in the half forwards. Martin is my second cousin. It is due to he and his extended family that I and my family are Offaly supporters today as opposed to Kildare, Galway, Roscommon, Sligo, Waterford, Tipperary or any other place where I might call on some more tenuous connection.

Assuming we are talking about the Martin Fitzpatrick who grew up in Ballyduff just outside Geashill (am I correct)? I could not tell you what club he belonged (belongs) or anything. The timing of his coming on board is spot on though.

I have not been in close contact with Martin for years, but he told me an interesting story about the '82 final I always thought was fascinating...

In brief - he was told by the selectors about 20 minutes from the end to warm up along with Seamus Darby. After a little while one of the selectors informed him that 'Seamus was going in first'... the rest as they say is history.