International Rules Panel Names

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

International Rules Panel Names

Post by Lone Shark »

Full list below, 44 names, with players from the four semi finalists to be added yet. Slattery - obviously, and should come close enough to a starting slot. McNamee, fair enough, but I'm not sure he'd have the hardy streak needed for that game. I wouldn't expect him to make the final panel of it anyway.

But - no McManus???? Seems very strange, seeing as there are those who would argue that good and all footballer as he is, this hybrid game is nearly more suited to him, and he certainly has done very well at it down the years. Anyone know of a reason why he's not included?

Couldn't really think of another likely candidate, though Shane Sullivan might be a dark horse at this code.

Panel:
John Galvin, Johnny McCarthy (Limerick), Gary Hurney, Karl O Keefe (Waterford), Mark Brennan (Louth), Kevin Reilly, Anthony Moyles, Joe Sheridan, Graham Geraghty (Meath), Dermot Earley (Kildare), Tomas Walsh (Carlow), Brendan Egan, Eamonn O’Hara, Sean Davey (Sligo), Carl Mannion, Seamus O’Neill (Roscommon), Michael Walsh, Brendan Coulter (Down), Paddy Bradley, Kevin Mc Cloy, Fergal Doherty, Sean Martin Lockhart (Derry), Anthony Gaynor (Cavan), Sean Cavanagh, Stephen O’Neill, Conor Gormley, Enda McGinley, Ryan McMenamin, Philip Jordan (Tyrone), Conor Whelan (Clare), Kieran Fitzgerald, Damien Burke, Joe Bergin, Dermot Blake (Galway), Niall McNamee (Offaly), Karl Slattery (Offaly), Paul Barden, Brian Kavanagh (Longford), Karl Lacey (Donegal), Kieran McGeeney, Paul McGrane, Ronan Clarke, Steven McDonnell, Ciaran McKeever (Armagh).

arbarg
County player

Post by arbarg »

disgrace that the big Mac hasnt bin called up. theres no one more suited to this game

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

No talk of this yet here. They are only focused on the AFL finals run in. Then they pick the All Australian team. Then Sheedy will do away with those players and pick his own team.

With Kevin Sheedy at the helm once again I would expect a powerfully built running team with their only intent to play the ball into the man in the area between the 21 and the 50 lines then allow him to kick for a 3 pointer in front of the posts. To counter that we need sticky backs who aren't afraid to shove, drag, kick, pinch and hassle any players moving into the hole in front of the full back. They call it sheparding in AFL and you may be sure Sheedy will have their backs told to do it to us.

I would like to see us pick mostly corner backs with a few tall strong men to bounce to Aussies to play in the backs with only wing backs and mobile midfielders in the wing forward positions. Up front we need players that can catch a ball at the first attempt. If we break it down to play it we are only putting pressure on ourselves to turn, elude a tackle and score on the run. If we catch it first time we get a mark and 30 seconds to kick a score.

Kennelly (Swans) and Begley (Lions) should be brought home and given a game. Forget about the O'Halpins for another year at least although of the three Sean Og should be included. He came out here after the Hurling All Ireland for a month and only for the fact that he was 27 at the time he would have been offered a development contract. He is the most natural footballer of the three and impressed Carlton with the ease at which he took up the game.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

How many can Boylan bring to the final tests?

I wonder if someone like Nialler will make it, when theres so many class players yet to join the panel from other counties still in the championship. He might not have the physical strengh as others, but is a great fielder of the ball (get the mark) and able to shake off his man and take a score. Your typical corner forward.

Very very surprised that Mad Mac didnt make it, this is a perfect type of game for him and I sometimes wonder if he would make playing down under. Correct me if i'm wrong, but hasnt Ciaran played in all international rules test since they started back up in 1998?

Fair play to slatts, finally its about time he's made a name for himself at a national level, I reckon he'll make the final panel, he'll run all day a tricky player to mark and chase down, I can see him getting a few scores too.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

Pity McManus has missed out, himself and SM Lockart are the most capped players in the hybrid game as far as I know. With Lockhart named on t he training squad it looks like Mc will be forced to concede the title which is a real pity for him. Especially since its unlikely that anyone else will match them for number of caps with the game set to revert to a bi-annual event.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Sean Boylan probably doesn't need Mac in there now, but he definately will be on the panel for the tests in November!!! Either that or after last years fiasco Mac has decided not to bother going in with them!!!
The Untouchable

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

the Untouchable wrote:Sean Boylan probably doesn't need Mac in there now, but he definately will be on the panel for the tests in November!!! Either that or after last years fiasco Mac has decided not to bother going in with them!!!
I dunno if Mac is the sort of person to "not to bother", i'd imagine he'll take the chance of going with both hands. Even during last years fist ups, he was the ONLY one standing up to the aussies, he can show true spirit and commitment to any team.

seamroga
Senior

Post by seamroga »

I'm surprised Mac isn't included and I'd be disappointed for him if he isn't called in. Hopefully, Sean Boylan and the selectors haven't listed to some of Joe Brolly's silly criticism. (Who are the selectors this year, I can't remember?)
I also don't think it would be fair to include Sean Og again this year. He was chosen last year even though he didn't play football for Cork and I think that sends out a bad signal to players from weaker counties who would love to get a call-up.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Why should O'Hailpin not be selected ? It's the GAA taking on the AFL in a makey uppy game. It's not gaelic football. I would like to see a few more hurlers in the squad, they might stand up to the aussies better than a lot of our footballers these days. I'd like to see Diarmuid O'Sullivan for starters. But there are plenty more athletes playing Hurling besides Seán Óg.

As for Mac, either Boylan knows exactly what he will get from him and isn't going to bother bringing him in for trials but will have him in squad, or he has suffered from playing a more subdued, team role with Offaly this year and Boylan thinks he hasn't got the legs anymore.
I'd like to think the former, but suspect the latter.

Slatts could be good at this but I don't think Nial Mc will be suited to this game.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Mac has been called up, don't always believe what's in the papers, they are run by humans after all......

Sydthebeat
All Star

Post by Sydthebeat »

i would find it very hard to believe that Macca hasnt been included... theres no one else out there that has his experience of these internationals... apart from Joyce maybe, who is selecting....

regarding Slattery and mcNamee,... Karl has developed into a great footballer in the last couple of years; a chance to represent your country should be a great honour to him....
Niall mcnamee would be a great inclusion IMHO.... hes a great fielder of the ball, can score from anywhere, hes young and fast... i see him making a huge impact in these tests....

however i would have included Alan McNamee as well in the panel... a tough footballer who is not afraid of the physical battle...

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

It also remains to be seen how many players would still be involved in club action by the time these games come around too