Offaly Club Team Names

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
The Biff
All Star

Offaly Club Team Names

Post by The Biff »

I'm hoping this could become the definitive list of Offaly GAA teams that do NOT use the name of their Town or Parish. For some like me who hasn't lived in the Faithful County for many years, it can be a little confusing when a new name like "St.PaddyJoes's" appears sometimes in the fixtures list. On the Tips threads, the smart lads like to substitute the place name sometimes, just to test Lone Shark's knowledge.

So I'm calling on all to post the names of teams that you know of that do not use place names, and to add the details of just who they represent, including the Grade if it is not applicable to all levels. I will start with the ones I know of, in no particular order. Feel free to reply if in truth any of these actually represents a larger area, or if I'm completely wrong.

St.Rynaghs - Banagher
Seir Kieran - Clareen
Erin Rovers - Pollough
Shamrocks - Mucklagh & Rahan
St.Brigids - Croghan
St.Vincents - Daingean parish (Daingean, Ballycommon, Kilclonfert, Cappincur) - underage only (I think).

I've heard of a few more but I'm not sure where they're from, like Clonmore Harps, Brosna Gaels, St.Whoever, etc. Please add details for any non-obvious placenames. Thanks.

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

St. Rynaghs is a dodgy one!!!!!! be very careful!

It all depends of what end of the St. Rynaghs parish you belong to. Theres the two towns, Banagher and Cloghan. Hurling in Banagher and football in Cloghan, you can easily offend someone by mistaking them being from the wrong town!

Our club is possibly to most divided club in the country, if anyone know of any others? the only similarities are the club's name and the players that play.

Different jersey colours, different club grounds, different chairpersons, different lottos, different everything!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Okay, here's my attempt - but I'm open to correction on some of these, and there are several gapss - this can be a work in progress for us all!

Adult Hurling Teams

St. Rynagh's - Banagher & Cloghan & Shannonbridge
Seir Kieran - Clareen
Kilcormac/Killoughey - also includes Mountbolus
Belmont - Also includes Ferbane and Shannon Harbour
Drumcullen - Rath
Brosna Gaels - Pullough, Ballycumber, Doon and Tubber
Killurin - I assume this is a place, but where is it??

U-21 Hurling Teams

St. Mary's - Shinrone, Ballyskenach and Killavilla
Brosna Gaels - Belmont and Shannonbridge along with the motley crew of the adult Brosna Gaels above.
St. Cronan's - Not a clue - any enlightenment? Possibly Lusmagh, but who they'd be in with I've no idea?
St. Brendan's - Birr, and I assume Crinkle and Carrig & Riverstown

Adult Football Teams

Ferbane - includes Belmont and Shannon Harbour
Shamrocks - Mucklagh and Rahan
Gracefield - Offaly side of Portarlington, includes Cloneygowan, not sure what else.
Erin Rovers - Pullough
St. Brigid's - Croghan
St. Rynaghs - Cloghan and Banagher
Clonmore Harps - Small village on the Meath border, part of Rhode Parish

U-21 Football Teams

St. Colman's - Don't know, I'm guessing Ballinamere/Durrow, or it could be the Daingean parish team either.
Na Fianna - Killeigh and Raheen I think
Wheery - Ferbane, Belmont, and for some reason, Birr
St. Broughan's - Walsh Island, Clonbullogue and Bracknagh
Shannon Gaels - Shannonbridge with St. Rynaghs
St. Patrick's - Edenderry and Ballyfore
St. Michael's - Rhode, Croghan and Clonmore
St. Manchan's - Doon and Pullough
St. Colm's - Ballycumber and Tubber

As I said, that's far from definitive - but we can start with that base and add to it maybe?

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Rynaghs Biffo wrote:St. Rynaghs is a dodgy one!!!!!! be very careful!
Or they'll shoot a black cat up our "ass"

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Clonmore is just a townland.No actual shop or post office or anything.Killurin is a village(i think) out the Birr road from Tullamore and take the R421.
Last edited by True Red on Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

A Noble Effort Lone Shark.

But Jesus!!! - You don't know where Killurine is!! Call yourself an Offaly man. Shur everybody in the world knows where Killurine is!! Hint (it's near Tullamore but not in the Tullamore parish).

Mikey
Junior A

Post by Mikey »

Lone Shark,

Surprised a man of your knowledge doesn't know where Killurin is... :)

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

Lone Shark wrote:
u]U-21 Football Teams[/u]

These two are the wrong way round - St Colm's are Doon/Erin Rovers !

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

St. Rynagh's is the parish of Rynagh and Gallen. Basically Banagher and Cloghan. Both use parish teams. but where is the border with Ferbane and Belmont at the northern end of this parish? Some say at the canal? Surely parish lines were established before the canal was built in the 1840's? In what parish are Shannonharbour? Clonony?

Clareen is the village in Seir Kieran parish.

Coolderry have a sizeable enough area which also includes Kilcolman and Brosna. In who's territory is the Mill House pub? Coolderry, Ballyskenagh or Shinrone?

Incidentally, I see Mount Heaton can boast a population of over 900 persons. For this reason Ballyskenagh no longer carry my sympathies for being a smaller club.

Kinnitty also includes Cadamstown.

Ferbane Belmont. Parish teams. 2 clubs. Ferbane for football; Belmont for hurling. Separate grounds. Just like Rynaghs, just they're called St. Rynaghs (hurling) and St. Rynaghs (football). Without opening a can of worms, don't Shannonbridge have a representative on the Belmont hurling team, as S'bridge don't field a hurling team he can play with an adjoining parish?

Drumcullen: Rath (also includes Killyon) also Eglish.

Kilcormac Killoughey include a considerable length of the N52, also Mount Bolus and Ballyboy. Many splinter teams also came from this parish including Blackwood Rovers who lost to a young Rynagh's outfit by one point in a junior final in 1963 which heralded Rynagh's advent to the big stage. Does K/K territory join the Laois border, or does Kinnitty border Killeigh?

Killurin is in Killeigh parish, though a separate club.

St. Cronan is the patron saint of Lusmagh parish. The label for a 2006 amalgamation of Lusmagh and Belmont (Ferbane parish) for U 21 hurling. In 2005 the same combination were St. Sarans. In the early 1980's the two combined under St Cronans to reach an U21 final, losing out narrowly to Birr.

St. Brendan's are a Birr parish team at U21 level. Carrig and Riverstown combine with Crinkill at minor level and are known as CRC Gaels. The Birr senior club appears to have a small enough area, just the town. Of course now thats sub judice[i/].

Geashill and Cloneygowan are Raheen. The eastern part of Killeigh-Raheen parish, one of the largest (by area) parishes in the country. The two villages couldn't agree on a site for the parish church so they built it in Raheen townsland roughly halfway between the two.

As far as I know Gracefield is just Portarlington (north of the border). I'm reminded of the U2/Christy Moore song "North and south of the river". They combined with Killeigh parish to win a county football final in 1961 as St Patricks.

Lone Shark wrote:Okay, here's my attempt - but I'm open to correction on some of these, and there are several gapss - this can be a work in progress for us all!

Adult Hurling Teams

St. Rynagh's - Banagher & Cloghan & Shannonbridge
Seir Kieran - Clareen
Kilcormac/Killoughey - also includes Mountbolus
Belmont - Also includes Ferbane and Shannon Harbour
Drumcullen - Rath
Brosna Gaels - Pullough, Ballycumber, Doon and Tubber
Killurin - I assume this is a place, but where is it??

U-21 Hurling Teams

St. Mary's - Shinrone, Ballyskenach and Killavilla
Brosna Gaels - Belmont and Shannonbridge along with the motley crew of the adult Brosna Gaels above.
St. Cronan's - Not a clue - any enlightenment? Possibly Lusmagh, but who they'd be in with I've no idea?
St. Brendan's - Birr, and I assume Crinkle and Carrig & Riverstown

Adult Football Teams

Ferbane - includes Belmont and Shannon Harbour
Shamrocks - Mucklagh and Rahan
Gracefield - Offaly side of Portarlington, includes Cloneygowan, not sure what else.
Erin Rovers - Pullough
St. Brigid's - Croghan
St. Rynaghs - Cloghan and Banagher
Clonmore Harps - Small village on the Meath border, part of Rhode Parish

U-21 Football Teams

St. Colman's - Don't know, I'm guessing Ballinamere/Durrow, or it could be the Daingean parish team either.
Na Fianna - Killeigh and Raheen I think
Wheery - Ferbane, Belmont, and for some reason, Birr
St. Broughan's - Walsh Island, Clonbullogue and Bracknagh
Shannon Gaels - Shannonbridge with St. Rynaghs
St. Patrick's - Edenderry and Ballyfore
St. Michael's - Rhode, Croghan and Clonmore

As I said, that's far from definitive - but we can start with that base and add to it maybe?

Treasurer
All Star

Teams

Post by Treasurer »

U-21 hurling St. Mary's is just Shinrone and Ballyskenagh, not Killavilla

Sydthebeat
All Star

Post by Sydthebeat »

gracefield doesnt include cloneygowen... but does stretch out to include townlands such as garryhinch on the mountmellick road, and bishopswood and treascon on the monasterevan road....

Treasurer
All Star

Population

Post by Treasurer »

Incidentally, I see Mount Heaton can boast a population of over 900 persons. For this reason Ballyskenagh no longer carry my sympathies for being a smaller club.
Must check out exactly where Mountheaton refers to, cos I can assure you there's no way Ballyskenagh have a population of 900.

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:St. Rynagh's is the parish of Rynagh and Gallen. Basically Banagher and Cloghan. Both use parish teams. but where is the border with Ferbane and Belmont at the northern end of this parish? Some say at the canal? Surely parish lines were established before the canal was built in the 1840's? In what parish are Shannonharbour? Clonony?
ok, heres a history lesson for ya!!

At present, the border between Cloghan (Gallen) parish and Ferbane parish is the Grand Canal, cutting through Shannon Harbour, Clonony, Gallen and the Derries. Some of these townlands are on either side of the canal border e.g. Gallen. Before the Canal was built and up till the mid 1800's, the border was the Brosna River as it flowed through Ferbane. As Ferbane grew, it was either side of the parish, so they moved the border to the Grand Canal, which extended Ferbane parish. In return, Gallen parish was given the townlands of Derrycarney and other ones near Boora and Leabeg (can't think of their names).

That explain it for ya?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

This has the potential to be an excellent thread - we should definitely keep this going as much as possible.

First up, my apologies for not knowing where Killurin is. Consider my head hung in shame. Ditto the St. Colm's and St. Manchan's thing, but then I always get those two the wrong way around.

As for other matters ....

(1) I know one other guy fairly well (an occasional contributor to this board) who is from Cloneygowan and considers himself Gracefield. He's obviously close enough to the border then, hence my mistake.

(2) Who do Killavilla U-21's hurl with if not St. Mary's?

(3) I thought Shannon Harbour was all under the area of Belmont? I know the Egans are out there, so it would be a significant boundary ...

(4) Shannonbridge hurlers are one group I don't understand. Some play with Belmont (Harry Kearns) and some play with St. Rynagh's (John Ryan, the elder!!) Whether that means they can choose or not I don't know.

(5) If St. Cronan's includes Belmont at U-21 (See what I get for being out of the country - not knowing stuff like this!!) who plays with Brosna Gaels then? Surely not the same hotpot as with senior - they'd need a lot more than that to be competitive surely.

(6) I knew the CRC combo, but they didn't field at U-21 this year, so who would those lads have played for then?

(7) Did Daingean parish field at u-21 this year at all?

Treasurer
All Star

U-21

Post by Treasurer »

2) Who do Killavilla U-21's hurl with if not St. Mary's?
Think it was Drumcullen this year, they've been with them and Seir Kierans at different times