The Shark's Terrace hall of Fame.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Johnny Mooney had the hair standing on the back of my neck whenever I watched him, both for brilliance and unpredictability.

Johnny Pilkington did the same in hurling.

Two guys who maybe aren't legends but pound for pound were great bits of stuff were Charlie Conroy and Brendan Keeshan.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

I'd back you up on MacManus. To range from the the ridiculous to the sublime so often you have to be a special player. When all is said and done I'd rather have him in my corner. For his amazing goals and unselfish sacrifices on the field not to mention the pride we all felt seeing him in an Irish jersey he gets my football vote.

Johnny Dooley gets my hurling vote. We all know what happened in 94 but remember 98 when he smashed a last minute free past the Wexford defence when we looked down and out? Without him we wouldn't have won those two All Irelands. What more does a man need to do?
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

OffalyManAway
Senior

Post by OffalyManAway »

For me -

Football
Matt Connor
Johnny Mooney
Brendan Lowry

Hurling,
Pat Delaney
Johnny Flaherty
Brian Whelahan

Kevin
All Star

Nominations

Post by Kevin »

Ballyman,

Thanks for mentioning Johnny Dooley, I'd like to second that. BTW, I think that goal against Wexford was from play, but regardless 1998 ends early without it. Anything past Fitzhenry is noteworthy, but that was dramatic alright!

In addiditon:

I'd like to nominate Billy Dooley. Always looked dangerous, must have been a pain in the ass to mark and he seemed to stir the crowd up. Pat O'Connor assisted goal v Galway in the 1994 semi and the 3 nails to kill off Limerick in 1994 among countless other examples of finishing and assisting gets him at least a nomination.

Michael Duignan gets a nomination. I'll never forget him emphatically closing out the scoring of the 1998 final after a 'man of the match' worthy performance.

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

I agree with Kevin about Billy Dooley, a sort of player that wouldnt be afraid to cut through ya and there'd be no messing with him!

But for me, has to be definatly Martin Hanamy, mainly due to his consistancy and no fear of any corner forward that came near him. I know the man very well and he's a true gentleman with plenty of advice.

Maybe Stephen Byrne should deserve a mention? in the late 90's, I'll never forget when the team would run onto the pitch, get the photo taken, and jog down to us at the Hill 16 end, while we chant STEVEO STEVEO STEVEO....

As for football, maybe Vinny Claffey or Peter Brady?? Froggy has to be there aswell.

Phoenix Arms
Junior B

Post by Phoenix Arms »

Football

Martin Furlong
Tony McTague
Matt Connor

Hurling

Sid
Johnny Dooley (for the QF v Derry in 2000)
Martin Hanamy

D Corner Flag
Senior

Post by D Corner Flag »

How about adding a managers section, Im straight out with Tommy Lyons bringing us out of the duldrums which were the early ninties.

Any suggestions?

The Biff
All Star

The Untouchables

Post by The Biff »

I've tried to collate all of the suggestions so far, and placed them in their usual positions as best I can remember them. But we still have a few gaps to fill, and a few jostling for the one spot.

Football

1. Martin Furlong
2. Cathal Daly
3. Paddy McCormack / Larry Carroll
4. Charlie Conroy
6. Sean Lowry
8+9. Ciaran McManus / Sean Grennan / James Grennan
10. Johnny Mooney
11. Kevin Kilmurray
12. Tony McTague
13. Vinnie Claffey
14. Matt Connor
15. Seamus Darby / Brendan Lowry / Peter Brady
----------------------------------------------------------

Hurling

1. Stephen Byrne
3. Kevin Kinahan / Eugene Coughlan
4. Martin Hanamy
5. Sid
6. Pat Delaney
7. Liam Currams / Brendan Keeshan
8+9. Johnny Pilkington / Joachim Kelly / Daithi Regan
10. Johhny Dooley
11. John Troy
12. Michael Duignan
13. Pat Carroll / Billy Dooley
14. Padraig Horan / Brendan Kelly
15. Johnny Flaherty / Joe Dooley

Plus Paddy Molloy but I've no idea where he normally played.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

For the football panel I nominate that we add:
Scrap Bracken
Tom Coffey
Frank Weir
Mick Casey

Hurling also should have:
Jim Troy
Micheal "Hippy" Conneely
Hubert Rigney
Paddy Kirwan

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

If we are talking legends then Sonny Lynam and Laz Molloy should be included on the football side.

John Troy on the hurling side.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Lads, I thought this was serious 'till I saw Larry Carroll's name in here. Sound lad but we only got a couple of years out of him.

For wing back on the football team what about John Kenny (one of our Internationals) and Liam Curams (great player). Give Slats a few more years and he'd be looking for a spot.

For the middle of the filed ye'd have to have Thomas O'Connor and Padge Dunne on the short list.

Up front I'd have Gerry Carroll on the short list, the day Kerry beat us in 1980 Matt Connor scored 2-8 and Gerry Carroll scored 2-2 (from midfield). They were beat 4-15 to 4-10, imagine only two players scored and only one forward.

In hurling I also say Damian Martin in goal, he did get the first All-start ever given out.
Aiden Forgety,

Great teams Offaly have had in the past (and present), we've been very luck to be born Offaly people, Imagine ya came from Westmeath!

Superted
Intermediate

Post by Superted »

Mac has to be in there, gives it his all, even last year against Laois he was the only player carrying the fight to them,

Kinahan a class act 94 allireland semi against and 95 Leinster final torrential rain and he gave dj a lesson for most of the game

The Biff
All Star

Howld on dare

Post by The Biff »

Dont be worrying yourself Muck Savage. If it's the greatest Offaly players ever that you want, then just look up the Offaly Teams of the Millennium (if anyone can find them), and maybe consider chucking Mad Mac in amongst them.

But this is for the "Terrace Heroes", the lads that made the hair stand on the back of your neck. That's why Larry Carroll is nominated, although maybe the hair had the wrong reasons for standing.

(If Larry is out there reading this, please dont take offence; you were still a better footballer than I could ever be).

This is for the characters that played the games a little bit different to the rest.

With that in mind, I'll throw in some new nominations:

Football: Mick Casey - the blacksmith from Croghan, who was probably twice as tough as Paddy McCormack.
Mick Wright - he could kick a ball to just less than bursting point, 90 yards no bother.
Roy Malone - those sideburns! Our very own fashion icon!

Hurling: Ger Oakley - how did he manage to keep the long hair? Often maligned but always a battler.

Superted
Intermediate

Post by Superted »

What about Kevin Martin, great half back, fearless, another fella that gave it everything!