Offaly Minor Football 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joey1001
County player

Re: Offaly Minor Football 2024

Post by joey1001 »

jimbob17 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:41 pm We are not talking about minor or U20 here. We are talking about U14 and U15 development level. That is where it happens and what is being advocated for and players are excluded then also at minor level as a result. That is what is happened with current minors. It didnt happen this year. It happened other years and then they were blocked this year as result of not being involved in previous years. I fully agree that a fella should be fully on board at minor and U20 level but there were fellas who wnated to be involved that were deliberately excluded and unfairly so because of what happened 2 and 3 years previous. They will stiull be some of the best in club championships but were not allowed to represent Offaly. For me, Its dark ages thinking!
So lads wanted to play and commit minor this year and were excluded? Who?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

del wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:50 am Last night was very disappointing from a performance level and the actual result . I think this is a weak enough group but they were not helped by some decisions made by MGT in the selection of players on the squad . At u 17 and u 16 dev squad level we do not have the best players in Offaly playing
It is true this MGT team didn’t really want the gig 2 yrs ago and they looked for a coach to come on board this year but didn’t get one . To be fair to them they put the shoulder to the wheel
We are reaping what was sowed in the last few yrs at dev squad level
We are too small a county to be closing the door on young lads cause they played a bit of soccer or rugby . Christ these sports help a player become and all round better Gaa player. I think a total review of how these squads are working is needed as this is the first group to come fully thru under the current regime
Correct Joey. While you ask, I will not be naming any underage players on this forum or any other forum as I think it is inappropriate to do so. I am not the only one who has suggested this and Del makes exact same point earlier in thread.
jimbob

jk1022
Junior B

Post by jk1022 »

jimbob17 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:35 pm
del wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:50 am Last night was very disappointing from a performance level and the actual result . I think this is a weak enough group but they were not helped by some decisions made by MGT in the selection of players on the squad . At u 17 and u 16 dev squad level we do not have the best players in Offaly playing
It is true this MGT team didn’t really want the gig 2 yrs ago and they looked for a coach to come on board this year but didn’t get one . To be fair to them they put the shoulder to the wheel
We are too small a county to be closing the door on young lads cause they played a bit of soccer or rugby . Christ these sports help a player become and all round better Gaa player. I think a total review of how these squads are working is needed as this is the first group to come fully thru under the current regime
Correct Joey. While you ask, I will not be naming any underage players on this forum or any other forum as I think it is inappropriate to do so. I am not the only one who has suggested this and Del makes exact same point earlier in thread.
Watching the under 20 football final here. A prime example is Eamon Armstrong for Meath. Played underage international football and played with and captained St Pats teams underage. Meath didn’t turn him away. We don’t have the numbers to be turning players away. We will end up digging our own grave.

jk1022
Junior B

Post by jk1022 »

Eamon Armstrong with an exhibition tonight for Meath. If he was from Offaly he wouldn’t be picked 🤷‍♂️

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

jk1022 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:41 pm
jimbob17 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:35 pm
Watching the under 20 football final here. A prime example is Eamon Armstrong for Meath. Played underage international football and played with and captained St Pats teams underage. Meath didn’t turn him away. We don’t have the numbers to be turning players away. We will end up digging our own grave.
Only reading this, Whats the solution, carry 60 per squad or coach 15 with other 15 at rugby/soccer etc on a saturday? Suggestions please?
Armstrong is an absolute machine though

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Meath carry 80 at U14. 4 regions of 20 players. It probably reduces to 60 or so through U15. Kildare I believe are somewhat similar.

I am not saying we do that as we dont have their numbers but we could and should have 2 squads. My solution is that at U14 level, we carry one squad of 30-35 from April through to mid May when the soccer & rugby elite lads may be available again. From then, we should carry 2 squads of 22 or 23 at U14 level. At U15, we should try and repeat this same thing. It is only a cross over of about 6 or 7 weeks or so that was the issue. We CANNOT afford to be without our best talent because they are also in elite dev squads in other sports.

Beyond that (ie U16), some will be with minors (8-10 or so most years) so rest of the group join together to make up U16 dev squad until minors are out. The best of these will then join a minor squad in Nov / Dec of that U16 year. It isnt exactly rocket science here lads. We should do what we need to do to keep best players engaged. Handing out ultimatums forcing them to choose only generates resentment and has not served us well. The results from year 1 of this "Academy" tells us loud and clear!
jimbob