U20 footballers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: U20 footballers 2024

Post by Lone Shark »

Afraid so.
Score Difference

Leinster Championship

In the event of teams finishing on equal points in the Group, the tie shall be decided by the following means and in the order specified below.

Where two Teams only are involved – the outcome of the meeting of the two Teams in the previous game in the Competition
Score Difference from the gams in which only the teams involved (teams tied on points), have played each other. (Subtracting the total Scores Against from total Scores For)
Highest Total Score For, in which only the teams involved, have played each other, and have finished equal in (ii)
Highest Total Goals For, in which only the teams involved, have played each other, and have finished equal in (ii)
A Play-Off
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Not ideal. Offaly just need to look after their part against Longford, but their fate isn't fully in their control.
We just need Louth to get a draw or better, or else Kildare to win handsomely.

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

The way I look at it......It is still within Offaly's control. However, they need to win by 8 points or more in order for other results not to matter for them to finish in top 2.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Wing Back wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:44 am The way I look at it......It is still within Offaly's control. However, they need to win by 8 points or more in order for other results not to matter for them to finish in top 2.
Unfortunately Offaly's scoring against Longford won't be counted in the 3-way Offaly, Kildare and Louth tie breaker.

Offaly are -1 in scoring difference vs Louth and Kildare.
Kildare are currently -1 and Louth are +2 in the tie breaker table- this will obviously change when the sides meet.
Any win for Kildare would see them go above Offaly. However, if Louth's own points difference doesn't dip below -1 in that Kildare defeat, then Offaly go out.

In theory, they could agree beforehand to let Kildare win by 1 point to allow them both go through.

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:09 am
Wing Back wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:44 am The way I look at it......It is still within Offaly's control. However, they need to win by 8 points or more in order for other results not to matter for them to finish in top 2.
Unfortunately Offaly's scoring against Longford won't be counted in the 3-way Offaly, Kildare and Louth tie breaker.

Offaly are -1 in scoring difference vs Louth and Kildare.
Kildare are currently -1 and Louth are +2 in the tie breaker table- this will obviously change when the sides meet.
Any win for Kildare would see them go above Offaly. However, if Louth's own points difference doesn't dip below -1 in that Kildare defeat, then Offaly go out.

In theory, they could agree beforehand to let Kildare win by 1 point to allow them both go through.
Ok, didn't read fully the eventualities above. I see the way it works now after that explanation. A Kildare win of 1-2 points knocks us out no matter what. If it's a 4 point win for Kildare and Offaly win, we go through. If its 3 point win and Offaly also win, what happens?
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

In that instance, Kildare would be through because of their superior score diff to both teams. Louth and Offaly would then be the same score diff so it would then go to hierarchy based on scores for (within the games between the 3 teams) between ourselves and Louth.

If that doesnt separate it, 'Goals For' within 3 teams playing each other decides, which will give us a chance as we are +2 to Louth's +1 currently on this criteria.

Any win for Kildare will see them through. If Louth get any result - draw or win, then Offaly need to match that result V Longford to go through ahead of Kildare on head to head. We have a good chance I think once we do our business in our game. There is a good chance Kildare got kick in the backside v us and will bounce back to win by 3 or more.
jimbob

The big hill
Junior B
Club: Tullamore

Post by The big hill »

Big push for the knockout stages tonight. We unfortunately missed them in this age group last year.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Firstly let’s assume we beat Longford, then any of the following in the other game will see us through:

Any kind of Louth victory
Draw Louth/Kildare
Kildare by 3 points or more

Am I correct in the above? Anything missing?
Doon exile....

Faithfully
Junior B

Post by Faithfully »

Doon Exile wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:33 am Firstly let’s assume we beat Longford, then any of the following in the other game will see us through:

Any kind of Louth victory
Draw Louth/Kildare
Kildare by 3 points or more

Am I correct in the above? Anything missing?
Yes, except it would need to be by 4 points or more to be sure. We can really just take care of our own business.

Mind you, technically, a 14 point win for Longford and Kildare defeat sees them through... :D

Gobbler
Junior C
Club: Tullamore

Post by Gobbler »

Boys just go out an win the shaggin yoke. Focus on winning and let everything else work out if its meant to work out. Ive seen too many poor teams go out and beat Offaly teams. just focus on getting the job done and winning the game.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

I think irrespective of anything else, the fact that our goalie is our most impactful player in multiple areas of the field is concerning.

Looks like a fairly poorly coached group of players.

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

Couldn't agree more , nothing against KF but this is very poor , looked like there's was some great players against kildare but weren't allowed to play they can dress it up whatever way they want but going out bottom of a under 20 football championship in such a style is very poor.

Behindthegoal
Junior A
Club: Ballinagar

Post by Behindthegoal »

I said this last week when we won so this isn’t me jumping on after a loss but the way this team has been coached is nothing short of abysmal. No ambition to go forward to risk taking no interest in pressing the ball high after it’s lost the only instruction seems to be turn around and sprint back to our own 45 and set up, like this is the crop of players are senior team are meant to be looking to for additions to the panel?? And they are exposed to this tripe before they try and make the step up?? Our goalkeeper is our most dangerous player and most likely to score so why is in the goals?? He played outfield in the senior club championship this year!! Something seriously needs to be looked at when appointing management teams and what they intend to do with a group of players. The fact we finished bottom of the group while playing this puke football shows that we didn’t even get a short term him from this negative football. We now go into some Peter Pan cup competition where we play other teams who haven’t qualified if I were Michael duignan I would be on the phone to management telling them to let the shackles off for these games purely for the development of the lads there’s nothing to lose now we are out of the championship

Faithfully
Junior B

Post by Faithfully »

In isolation, a campaign with a draw, 1pt victory and 1 pt defeat is no disgrace. However, I would question how exactly we tried to play and what we were trying to achieve in this campaign.

We never looked close to putting up a high score and finished with an average of less than 10 pts per game (I appreciate that the weather wasn't ideal). We seemed more intent on spoiling the opposition than anything else.

As ever, thanks to the players for their commitment and efforts. I've just read that they drop into the B competition now. Hopefully they can play with a bit of freedom.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Dalton and furlong should tip over to the hurling now.