Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Doon Exile
All Star

Re: Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

Post by Doon Exile »

Who had the wind in the first half?
Doon exile....

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Doon Exile wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:30 pm Who had the wind in the first half?
Offaly had it in the first half

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

joey1001 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:36 pm
Doon Exile wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:30 pm Who had the wind in the first half?
Offaly had it in the first half
Oh not good.
Doon exile....

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Left that one behind.
4 up with a penalty to go up by 7 with 5 mins to go and Ravenhill blazes it wide.
I know he is the designated penalty taker but he hasn’t pucked a ball all day and was clearly injured.

Ref then gave Galway a couple of soft frees, which coupled with Offaly stopping to hurl culminates with a drawn game.
You’d expect Galway to beat Dublin, which will consign us to second place in the group and facing into a quarter final.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Agreed, left it behind.

Penalty miss was the turning point and they went and reeled off last 4 points and had two wides.

We dropped back naturally when 4 a head, and we had an extra man due to their sending off. Bit frustrating.

I would take a draw against Galway any day of the week but felt we left this behind.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

JimBwobb wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:32 pm Agreed, left it behind.

Penalty miss was the turning point and they went and reeled off last 4 points and had two wides.

We dropped back naturally when 4 a head, and we had an extra man due to their sending off. Bit frustrating.

I would take a draw against Galway any day of the week but felt we left this behind.

On the day it's one we left behind, Galway's first game and in the end they were there for the takin, a point from the penalty maybe? But it's shows the courage and ambition of this group who are really punching above their weight. Like you said , we'll take a draw against Galway and would rather put a positive spin on it so the lads will think the same rather than we left it behind. If we win McDonagh this year, we may well be able to establish ourselves in Leinster for a few years back where we were and that would be brilliant

Faithfully
Junior B

Post by Faithfully »

It's not the end of the world. The point at least guarantees we don't finish 3rd and avoid the preliminary quarter final.

Our likely quarter final opponents are Wexford, Laois or one of the tier 2 teams, based on the draw.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Faithfully wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:33 pm It's not the end of the world. The point at least guarantees we don't finish 3rd and avoid the preliminary quarter final.

Our likely quarter final opponents are Wexford, Laois or one of the tier 2 teams, based on the draw.
A win today and we would have avoided Kilkenny until a possible Leinster Final. If we are to meet them now it will more than likely be at the semi-final stage.

Of course no guarantees we get that far.

Faithfully
Junior B

Post by Faithfully »

frankthetank wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:36 pm
Faithfully wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:33 pm It's not the end of the world. The point at least guarantees we don't finish 3rd and avoid the preliminary quarter final.

A win today and we would have avoided Kilkenny until a possible Leinster Final. If we are to meet them now it will more than likely be at the semi-final stage.

To be fair, we would have had a Galway/Dublin semi final followed by a Kilkenny final, if we progressed.

Now it's the inverse, with a tricky quarter final thrown into the mix. It's a tough road, but if you have designs on winning trophies, these are the types of challenges you need to meet.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

joey1001 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:42 pm But it's shows the courage and ambition of this group who are really punching above their weight.
Punching above their weight?
The core of the team got to the All Ireland final last year. Now being a year older, they will be doing everything they can to train, prepare and think like a team aiming to win the All Ireland.
They may well fall short, but that is the level ambition required - not fearing a trip to Parnell Park.

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

Its only their second game , they improved on the dublin game , I thought the ref was poor for both sides but I felt he let a few slip dan ravenhill was being dragged back in front of the linesman and the ref and nothing

Hit alot of silly wides reminiscent of the minor final , could have well lost it everything changed after the penalty it felt as tho the ref favoured Galway after that

Adam screeny is just something else being dragged and fouled constantly and double marked at times and still comes out on top an exhibition on frees

This is a special group of players and i really hope they can get one step futher this year

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:24 pm Left that one behind.
4 up with a penalty to go up by 7 with 5 mins to go and Ravenhill blazes it wide.
I know he is the designated penalty taker but he hasn’t pucked a ball all day and was clearly injured.

Ref then gave Galway a couple of soft frees, which coupled with Offaly stopping to hurl culminates with a drawn game.
You’d expect Galway to beat Dublin, which will consign us to second place in the group and facing into a quarter final.
Anybody know what the tiebreaker is in the event Galway were to beat Dublin by a point?

That would leave Offaly and Galway tied on 3 points and both with +1 score difference.

I assume it’s score for which would mean Dublin would need to hit 1-19 and win by a point to finish above us, if they hit lower than that tally and win by a point then we finish top but if they hit 1-18 exactly and win by a point then it goes to goals for which would mean Dublin finish above us as they scored a goal today.

Alternatively Dublin could win by a point having scored 0-21 meaning we’d be tied on SD, SF and GF which would require a play off…
Last edited by Anonymous1 on Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Am I the only one who has much higher expectations for this team than a QF?

As BNM man says the large majority of this team played in last years U20 All Ireland final and the 2022 minor final, they’re much bigger and stronger this year and should be more than capable of beating any team.

Galway were the minor champions in 2021 and so were the bookies favourites for this years U20 yet Offaly were clearly the better team today but couldn’t close it out.

Should these two meet again in the Leinster final, I’d have full faith in Offaly getting over the line.

The only other team I’d consider a big threat is Kilkenny, I think we’d more than account for Wexford or Laois in a quarter.

Faithfully
Junior B

Post by Faithfully »

Anonymous1 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:46 pm

Am I the only one who has much higher expectations for this team than a QF?

As BNM man says the large majority of this team played in last years U20 All Ireland final and the 2022 minor final, they’re much bigger and stronger this year and should be more than capable of beating any team.

Galway were the minor champions in 2021 and so were the bookies favourites for this years U20 yet Offaly were clearly the better team today but couldn’t close it out.

Should these two meet again in the Leinster final, I’d have full faith in Offaly getting over the line.

The only other team I’d consider a big threat is Kilkenny, I think we’d more than account for Wexford or Laois in a quarter.
I don't think anyone was suggesting that the expectations would be a quarter final. It's a nuisance for us to have a more circuitous route to the final, but as outlined, it's just a case of playing the teams in a different order.

I've no doubt the lads ambitions to win Leinster have not changed one bit, we have no reason to fear anyone. I would say that we've let Dublin and Galway back into it against us, which is a slight concern.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Joe mcdonagh coming now is going to have an impact on u20 preparation. Kk seem to be putting up huge scores.