Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joey1001
County player

Re: Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

Post by joey1001 »

Faithfully wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:23 am
joey1001 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:05 am
Faithfully wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:31 am

I'm sorry, but the win in Parnell Park was not a surprise victory, no matter how much you try and spin it. Offaly hammered those Dublin lads at minor in 2022 and beat them comfortably enough at u20 in 2023. Borne out by the bookies having had Offaly as odds on favourites.

That's not to say that Offaly won't be beaten today, or be beaten by Dublin if they play them again. But, come on, let's show some honesty when talking about the results 🤷‍♂️

As I said what happened at minor has no bearing really on u-20.. going to Parnell park expecting a win is a bit much, granted we got it but I assume that's a very poor Dublin team. Good minor teams particularly from small counties don't always become top under 20 teams and poor minor teams can improve. Boys become men, lads develop, other lads come through that were not there before, lads go to college, change sport etc.. we were favourites because of minor team and as you said last year's result but that has no bearing on this year and underage is completely unpredictable. Lads were suggesting we got a fright against Dublin as if to say we should have been beating them easy it's nonsense. That's Offaly hurlers in Parnell park against Dublin it's a bit win when you consider where hurling is coming from in Offaly. If we are in any way competitive against Galway today it would be another big boost for these lads who's goal ultimately is to add to the senior team and get them where they need to be. Home advantage and weather will narrow the gap but it's a huge ask of these lads who are fantastic bunch. The work that went into underage over the last 10-15 years has improved hurling no end in the county right up to senior and they will be bolstered and be able to improve by the likes of these lads coming in over the next few years, exciting times in both codes.
No, that is not a poor Dublin team. It's highly rated internally in fact.

You also did not provide any reason as to why that was a surprise victory beyond vague generalities about Offaly hurling being weak. You have to look at the players and teams on their own merits.

Also, that bit about lads being lost between minor and u20 is not really pertinent to this team. 14 out it 15 starters from the minor final are on the panel now. Niall Furlong the only opt out. Attrition is a much bigger problem in bigger counties where lads invariably get lost.

And Joey if you could use the enter button and post in paragraphs that would help us all read them easier thank you...

I made several other points, the least of them being "players being lost". Attrition can be handled by the bigger counties, some of the best players at u-20 and senior for bigger counties never played county underage, that rarely happens in smaller counties. I'm not knocking the team, I'm being realistic.. point was made that we hammered this Dublin team before, the fact we were lucky to win this time proves my point.. Dublin would have gained several advantages since minor, most of the team wouldn't have gone away to college like a lot of the Offaly team being one of them.. the point is very simple, If you are going to Parnell park "expecting a win" at any level then you're in cuckoo land.. take it for what it was, an Offaly hurling team beating Dublin in Parnell park, looking at nonsense during the week criticising the team and how they played etc. huge win and held off a comeback in difficult conditions!

Faithfully
Junior B

Post by Faithfully »

joey1001 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:31 am

As I said what happened at minor has no bearing really on u-20.. going to Parnell park expecting a win is a bit much, granted we got it but I assume that's a very poor Dublin team. Good minor teams particularly from small counties don't always become top under 20 teams and poor minor teams can improve. Boys become men, lads develop, other lads come through that were not there before, lads go to college, change sport etc.. we were favourites because of minor team and as you said last year's result but that has no bearing on this year and underage is completely unpredictable. Lads were suggesting we got a fright against Dublin as if to say we should have been beating them easy it's nonsense. That's Offaly hurlers in Parnell park against Dublin it's a bit win when you consider where hurling is coming from in Offaly. If we are in any way competitive against Galway today it would be another big boost for these lads who's goal ultimately is to add to the senior team and get them where they need to be. Home advantage and weather will narrow the gap but it's a huge ask of these lads who are fantastic bunch. The work that went into underage over the last 10-15 years has improved hurling no end in the county right up to senior and they will be bolstered and be able to improve by the likes of these lads coming in over the next few years, exciting times in both codes.

You also did not provide any reason as to why that was a surprise victory beyond vague generalities about Offaly hurling being weak. You have to look at the players and teams on their own merits.

Also, that bit about lads being lost between minor and u20 is not really pertinent to this team. 14 out it 15 starters from the minor final are on the panel now. Niall Furlong the only opt out. Attrition is a much bigger problem in bigger counties where lads invariably get lost.

And Joey if you could use the enter button and post in paragraphs that would help us all read them easier thank you...

I made several other points, the least of them being "players being lost". Attrition can be handled by the bigger counties, some of the best players at u-20 and senior for bigger counties never played county underage, that rarely happens in smaller counties. I'm not knocking the team, I'm being realistic.. point was made that we hammered this Dublin team before, the fact we were lucky to win this time proves my point.. Dublin would have gained several advantages since minor, most of the team wouldn't have gone away to college like a lot of the Offaly team being one of them.. the point is very simple, If you are going to Parnell park "expecting a win" at any level then you're in cuckoo land.. take it for what it was, an Offaly hurling team beating Dublin in Parnell park, looking at nonsense during the week criticising the team and how they played etc. huge win and held off a comeback in difficult conditions!
Right, so in cloud cuckoo land to expect those lads to beat Dublin in Parnell Park which they ultimately did. Whatever floats your boat.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Faithfully wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:31 am
So you expected Offaly to go to Parnell park and beat a "highly rated" Dublin team? And if you can't read that's on you.. we're talking about hurling not making personal digs at people 👍

Faithfully
Junior B

Post by Faithfully »

joey1001 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:35 am

So you expected Offaly to go to Parnell park and beat a "highly rated" Dublin team? And if you can't read that's on you.. we're talking about hurling not making personal digs at people 👍
Yes, I did. And I was right.

There were no personal digs there either, so you need to calm down on that front too.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Faithfully wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:34 am

Right, so in cloud cuckoo land to expect those lads to beat Dublin in Parnell Park which they ultimately did. Whatever floats your boat.

I think you're struggling to grasp the concept of the word "expect". When you talk about the weather in Ireland you can expect rain.. it's something that you are sure is going to happen. So you went to Parnell park last week and you were sure that Offaly were going to beat Dublin?

Faithfully
Junior B

Post by Faithfully »

joey1001 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:40 am

I think you're struggling to grasp the concept of the word "expect". When you talk about the weather in Ireland you can expect rain.. it's something that you are sure is going to happen. So you went to Parnell park last week and you were sure that Offaly were going to beat Dublin?
You are being extremely argumentative here, and I don't know why you're so hung up on this.

You've chosen to go down the personal insults route as well, which is disappointing.

To expect something is to deem it as likely to happen. That's one for you to look up in the dictionary now.

I expected Offaly to win. And they did.

Based on my opinions of the players playing on the pitch in the match. Not on vague sweeping statements about the level of hurling in the respective counties and how it would be stunning for Offaly to miraculously win a game in Dublin. End of story.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

' And Joey if you could use the enter button and post in paragraphs that would help us all read them easier thank you..."

Thats condescending and personal.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Faithfully wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:48 am

You are being extremely argumentative here, and I don't know why you're so hung up on this.

You've chosen to go down the personal insults route as well, which is disappointing.

To expect something is to deem it as likely to happen. That's one for you to look up in the dictionary now.

Based on my opinions of the players playing on the pitch in the match. Not on vague sweeping statements about the level of hurling in the respective counties and how it would be stunning for Offaly to miraculously win a game in Dublin. End of story.
First off you chose the personal insults first!! Secondly I'm not argumentative I'm stating a point and I believe it is unfair pressure and "expectation" on this team when this kinda of stuff is said .. imagine going to Parnell park, beating Dublin and then being criticised as a young fella.

And lastly and I'll give you your new paragraph here so you can read it - your last paragraph is a complete misrepresentation of what I said!!

Faithfully
Junior B

Post by Faithfully »

joey1001 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:53 am

First off you chose the personal insults first!! Secondly I'm not argumentative I'm stating a point and I believe it is unfair pressure and "expectation" on this team when this kinda of stuff is said .. imagine going to Parnell park, beating Dublin and then being criticised as a young fella.

And lastly and I'll give you your new paragraph here so you can read it - your last paragraph is a complete misrepresentation of what I said!!
There were no personal insults sent your way.

Don't bother responding because I won't be looking at it.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Aaaaaaaaand back to the hurling……..

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Faithfully wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:56 am

Look once you questioned my writing ability, you're opinion meant nothing to me so I don't care whether you look at it or not.. if you want to go and place high unrealistic expectations on these young lads heads and then criticise and be disappointed when they don't achieve them then that's up to you. We should be praising these lads to the last because they are punching and achieving way above their weight.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

joey1001 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:07 am
Faithfully wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:56 am

Look once you questioned my writing ability, you're opinion meant nothing to me so I don't care whether you look at it or not.. if you want to go and place high unrealistic expectations on these young lads heads and then criticise and be disappointed when they don't achieve them then that's up to you. We should be praising these lads to the last because they are punching and achieving way above their weight.
What is unrealistic about what people are saying?

You’re just arguing for the sake of it now.

Good luck to the lads today

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Have a bare knuckle boxing match in the middle of the pitch as half time entertainment.

Hon Offaly,.hopefully win the toss and play with the wind n the first half 8)

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

JimBwobb wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:21 pm Have a bare knuckle boxing match in the middle of the pitch as half time entertainment.

Hon Offaly,.hopefully win the toss and play with the wind n the first half 8)
Not a hope I'm a terrible fighter and I'm only small 😂. Agreed get a good start and stick it to them, ya never know, we do know they'll give everything and that's all we can ask.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Something has come up last minute that I can’t get out of so not going to get to game. Was looking forward to it all week 😡😡

Best of luck to team and management.
Doon exile....