JP McManus donation

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

JP McManus donation

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Superb news this morning that JP McManus is to donate €1m to each county board.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/much-jp-mc ... and-178743
Joe.ie article from 2018 stating that each Offaly club got €2,439 back when each county board received €100,00.

If club numbers remain the same at 41 (any new camogie or LGFA teams?), that would mean each club will now receive €24,390.
This will be a lifeline for so many clubs. A hundred hours of volunteers selling lotto tickets or fundraising wouldn't come close to raising that.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: JP McManus donation

Post by bracknaghboy »

It'll make little or no difference in the long run I fear.
Clubs will squander the money on managers, performance coaches, statisticians and God knows what else for their adult teams.
Some of the figures been handed to managers is truely appalling. It surely can't be sustainable.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Bracknaghboy always so positive great news sand Will keep clubs a float.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

bracknaghboy wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:05 pm It'll make little or no difference in the long run I fear.
Clubs will squander the money on managers, performance coaches, statisticians and God knows what else for their adult teams.
Some of the figures been handed to managers is truely appalling. It surely can't be sustainable.
I’ll send on our IBAN details in the morning and you can send yours on to us. We could do with a bit extra.
Doon exile....

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:29 pm Superb news this morning that JP McManus is to donate €1m to each county board.

Joe.ie article from 2018 stating that each Offaly club got €2,439 back when each county board received €100,00.

If club numbers remain the same at 41 (any new camogie or LGFA teams?), that would mean each club will now receive €24,390.
This will be a lifeline for so many clubs. A hundred hours of volunteers selling lotto tickets or fundraising wouldn't come close to raising that.
Was it not €1,000 that each club got?
Doon exile....

faithfulfanatic
All Star

Doon Exile wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:34 pm
faithfulfanatic wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:29 pm Superb news this morning that JP McManus is to donate €1m to each county board.

Unsure on that, just going by the Joe . Ie article.

Also seeing tweets saying that there are 41 GAA clubs and another dozen or so each of LGFA and Camogie.
That would mean around €12-15k for each club.

My own fault for trusting an article from Joe . ie

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:49 pm
Doon Exile wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:34 pm

Unsure on that, just going by the Joe . Ie article.

Also seeing tweets saying that there are 41 GAA clubs and another dozen or so each of LGFA and Camogie.
That would mean around €12-15k for each club.

My own fault for trusting an article from Joe . ie
I stand corrected on the amount. Just had the €1k figure in my head.
Doon exile....

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

It's very easy to be cynical about these things, but this money will be a great boost to my newly formed club, "Turf Rovers" which is just a week old.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Seen a post online today and it says each Offaly club will receive €12,000

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Unpopular opinion I know, but instead of each club getting 12,000, a relatively small amount, I’d rather it was kept by the county board to fund capital infrastructure or clear debt on FF or OCP.

faithfulfanatic
All Star

GreatDayForTheParish wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:58 pm Unpopular opinion I know, but instead of each club getting 12,000, a relatively small amount, I’d rather it was kept by the county board to fund capital infrastructure or clear debt on FF or OCP.
You’re right, that is a very unpopular opinion 😂😂

What benefit is there to using it to clear debt?
The debt is being cleared at a fantastic rate as things stand.

Let’s not forget, OCP is Tullamore GAA’s

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

greenairfield wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:44 pm Bracknaghboy always so positive great news sand Will keep clubs a float.
Some clubs will be shrewd and use it wisely like installing proper CCTV, lights around a walking track or fixing dodgy astroturf around the goalmouths. Stuff like that.

Others will use it to up the ante in terms of hunting down another mediocre manager who is looking for 12, 15 or 20k.
Thats the reality, paying these chancers is the cancer that will eventually leave clubs potless.
It's a disheartening race to the bottom.
Mo money mo problems!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Like everything, the devil is in the detail. The covering letter to boards states "to be evenly divided and distributed amongst the GAA, Camogie and Ladies Gaelic Football clubs of (county)."

There are 41 GAA clubs in Offaly; Offaly Camogie has 15 clubs' locations mapped on its website; Offaly LGFA doesn't appear to have a website, but on its Facebook page, twelve clubs are tagged with a reminder about its Convention meeting. Which would indicate that the dividend will be something like €14,705 per club.
Dodge83 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:26 am Seen a post online today and it says each Offaly club will receive €12,000
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

This is great news to the smaller clubs who could be struggling with finances

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

some of the comments here are comical. the county is getting 1,000,000 euro. and some are crabbing it. reminds me of the time i was involved with a local lotto. the jackpot went one monday night surprisingly 2 winners. i had the pleasant job(or so i thought ) of ringing the 2 winners. the first lad was delighted .it was about 12500e. so 6250e each. the 2nd lad wasnt happy at all that he had to share it!! and when he heard who he was sharing it with he was even more unhappy. there nothing as strange as people.