Shane Dooley Retirement

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
white grass
Junior B

Shane Dooley Retirement

Post by white grass »

Surprised to see no mention of this. Such a central figure in Offaly hurling for so long.
An excellent free taker, especially from long range.
So many goals come to mind.
The long balls over the top against Galway and Wexford; gathered and dispatched. The rockets against Dublin and Cork.
His performances against Laois in the 2016 Leinster championship and Limerick in the 2017 league fixture were outstanding. His role in Tullamore's incredible run during the 2009-10 seasons was pivotal.
In 2007, he was a key member of the U21 side which defeated Kilkenny in Nowlan Park. I' have no inside knowledge, but I imagine that largely forgotten result was important in sustaining belief in Offaly hurling in the years that followed.

Between 2007-2013 the Offaly panel did an incredible job regaining a foothold on the hurling ladder. I am not a big fan of hard luck stories but there is rarely a month goes by I don't think about what might have been against Galway, Cork and Waterford. Wins against Wexford and retaining our position as the team that Limerick hated to hurl were often too easily dismissed at the time. The team were anchored by Mullins and later Dempsey in goals, Franks, Kenny and Hanniffy at the back, with Brian Carroll, Joe Bergin and Dooley providing the firepower.

I suppose its natural given the success our county enjoyed during the 80s and 90s that the players who came later are judged by high standards.
I never saw the men of 69 hurl but I don't believe that their greatness was diminished by the accomplishments of others who came later. I'd apply a similar policy the those who hurled when our glory days had ended.
Anyone can tell you what a lad isn't or what he didn't win, tell me what he was. To paraphrase Jay Landsman 'when Shane Dooley was good, he was one of the best we had'

The Magpie
All Star

Re: Shane Dooley Retirement

Post by The Magpie »

white grass wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:30 pm Surprised to see no mention of this. Such a central figure in Offaly hurling for so long.
I agree. A great servant to Offaly through a prolonged period of difficulty for hurling in the County.

Perhaps his retirement has been coming for some time and with a sense of expectation, people are less quick to comment.

Well done Shane. A great commitment given to sport in the county - both football and hurling.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Offalyblueboy
Junior A
Club: Tullamore

Post by Offalyblueboy »

Post the truth folks

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Offalyblueboy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:25 pm Post the truth folks
What’s ’the truth’

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

It's more of a surprise that Shane lasted this long before retiring, as he had a lot of injury problems in recent years.

Shane was a great finisher when he got a sniff of goals, accurate as well and could pick off points from tight angles. In many games, his was the vital score to keep Offaly alive in a game, or to edge them ahead. As he wasn't a renowned primary ball winner, he was often working off a scrappy supply, especially when Offaly were under pressure.

In his early career he would have the added pressure of coming into an Offaly team that his father was managing.
There will always be crows on the sideline claiming nepotism, regardless of ability. Further back, Pad Joe Whelahan picking his Brian caused complaints from some people.
But immediately, he was instrumental in Offaly's strong showings in 2008 where Limerick were beaten on home soil and Waterford were severely tested by Offaly on their way to the All Ireland final. After that he was the permanent key forward for the next few years.

Over the years Offaly have produced some great hurlers all over the field, but we've not produced an abundance of players to run up a decent scoring tally. That's why Shane would have been an addition to an Offaly team in any era.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:06 pm
Offalyblueboy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:25 pm Post the truth folks
What’s ’the truth’
The truth is Shane is one of offalys greatest ever players and his longevity and commitment to the cause over such a long period was phenomenal and even when we dropped down the tiers he stuck with it. A bit late with this but wish him all the best and thanks for your service to Offaly hurling and football down the years. No doubt one day we'll see you in management 👍

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

It would be fair to say that Shane Dooley would have been a great addition to any Offaly team when in his prime. His scoring totals speak for themselves. A household name when we hadn't many. He probably had every right to pack it in a number of years ago, and was probably more an indication of how we had fallen that he was still beind accomadated on the panel. When he finally announced it, it was due.
DOesn't take away from the fact that he was a fine hurler and gave great service with his levelling score from a monster free in Croke park to draw with Galway in 2010 being a highlight for me. Not more than 3000 Offaly supporters there to see it but remember we are the "Faithful" county!! More like the "Bandwagon" county at present although getting better I think.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:03 pm It would be fair to say that Shane Dooley would have been a great addition to any Offaly team when in his prime. His scoring totals speak for themselves. A household name when we hadn't many. He probably had every right to pack it in a number of years ago, and was probably more an indication of how we had fallen that he was still beind accomadated on the panel. When he finally announced it, it was due.
DOesn't take away from the fact that he was a fine hurler and gave great service with his levelling score from a monster free in Croke park to draw with Galway in 2010 being a highlight for me. Not more than 3000 Offaly supporters there to see it but remember we are the "Faithful" county!! More like the "Bandwagon" county at present although getting better I think.
That Ger Farragher sideline that was given as a point but was wide will always haunt me

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Was too far away on the other side to get too irate, but let a few yelps out alright at the time and was gutted when I saw it later on the telly!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Farragher's wide was too early in the game to consider it decisive.
Maybe it even helped. Offaly went down to 14 men in the 2nd half and Galway had a lead coming down the home straight.
Galway probably felt they had the win bagged and tuned out, which helped Offaly launch a late fightback.

What is bizarre about the incident was how RTE were so keen to cover it up.
The commentator must have been hoping to get hired by Vladimir Putin.
https://youtu.be/DHP92f6fc68?si=HEolTpnld04nGGxC&t=240