End of year hurling standings

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Dodge83
All Star

End of year hurling standings

Post by Dodge83 »

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Re: End of year hurling standings

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Colm Mulrooney with real potential to kick on for Birr, at 31 years of age :D .

Can't agree with any suggestion that Clareen responded well to Barry Whelahan. By all accounts it wasn't a happy marriage.

Also it is hard to see how Clodiagh Gaels can be considered 'well coached' and 'greater than the sum of their parts', with 3 intercounty seniors and 2-3 more from the U20 panel amongst their ranks.

I thought the change in minor grades wasn't due to come in until 2025 (RE Ballyskenach/Killavilla).
You'd imagine they are still ahead of Crinkill.

Not trying to complain or anything here, always great to see our championships (especially the lower ones) getting exposure in the local media and every team has to be put somewhere.

Good work Kevin.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Were clareen not going to be relegated only for kk senior bs won the the county? How exactly is that responding well?

Coolderry lost their first 3 championship games didn't they? I could be wrong on that but the fact brian caroll was been brought to score goals suggests to me they are on the slippery slope as are kinnitty.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:53 pm Colm Mulrooney with real potential to kick on for Birr, at 31 years of age :D .

Can't agree with any suggestion that Clareen responded well to Barry Whelahan. By all accounts it wasn't a happy marriage.

Also it is hard to see how Clodiagh Gaels can be considered 'well coached' and 'greater than the sum of their parts', with 3 intercounty seniors and 2-3 more from the U20 panel amongst their ranks.

I thought the change in minor grades wasn't due to come in until 2025 (RE Ballyskenach/Killavilla).

Not trying to complain or anything here, always great to see our championships (especially the lower ones) getting exposure in the local media and every team has to be put somewhere.

Good work Kevin.
Ballyskenach/Killavilla have been very poor for a number of years now. Crinkill won a Junior B championship last year and lost an A quarter final by 1 point this year so they seem to be doing better if you ask me.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Coolderry have some nice players coming through over the next 3 to 4 years and have plenty of young lads currently on the panel. They will be fine.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

greenairfield wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:43 pm Coolderry have some nice players coming through over the next 3 to 4 years and have plenty of young lads currently on the panel. They will be fine.
I agree. This notion that Coolderry were going to be relagated was nonsense. They are a long way off winning a county title but never in danger of going down. Always plenty of heart and pride in the jersey out there

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:53 pm Colm Mulrooney with real potential to kick on for Birr, at 31 years of age :D .

Good work Kevin.
It's always tricky to do these things because you're largely going on results and what you hear, and you don't hear everything. Obviously I put in a few calls to lads at different levels that might give me a sense of what's happening in areas I don't get to that much. In terms of results and what players I would have spoken to said about Clareen as opposition this year, there was a sense that they were very sticky, and not at all as easy to score against - or as unfit, as one lad put it - as they had been before. Now it's entirely possible that I added 2+2 and got five, since I would generally put that down to management - but it may have been a case of the players doing it by themselves.

I'll stand over the Clodiagh Gaels comment. A panel is the sum of 25-30 players, not the most well-known handful. And yes, they had senior panelists, and U-20 panelists, but not too many that got meaningful game-time. Given the strength of that Kilcormac-Killoughey B team, I don't think there was any shame in how Clodiagh Gaels did this year.

On the point about the changing of the minor grades, there I was flat out wrong. I saw the motion that was up for debate, I knew it passed, and I missed the bit about delaying it for a year. So my apologies for that, I already had one club selector ringing me in a small bit of distress about what I wrote, so you weren't the only one to pick up on that.

And above all, it was fair comment made in the right spirit, so happy to engage - thank you!
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Dodge83 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:53 am
greenairfield wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:43 pm Coolderry have some nice players coming through over the next 3 to 4 years and have plenty of young lads currently on the panel. They will be fine.
I agree. This notion that Coolderry were going to be relagated was nonsense. They are a long way off winning a county title but never in danger of going down. Always plenty of heart and pride in the jersey out there
Coolderry clearly will be fine, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that those young lads that stepped up and had really good championship seasons this year weren't expected to be as good as they were, this early. I'm utterly delighted for the club, I've the world of respect for how they do things, and you're not wrong that they have immense respect for the culture and tradition that goes before them.

That said, none of that protects you when things start going against you, particularly demographics. Nobody would have expected Gracefield to get relegated either, you'll never see a team from Lusmagh or Erin Rovers (for example) short on pride in their jersey, but that can only bring you so far when you just don't have the playing resources you need. It did look for a couple of years there as if Coolderry were going to be goosed when the last of their 2004 championship medal winners stepped away, but they've turned a corner.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

[/quote]

On the point about the changing of the minor grades, there I was flat out wrong. I saw the motion that was up for debate, I knew it passed, and I missed the bit about delaying it for a year. So my apologies for that, I already had one club selector ringing me in a small bit of distress about what I wrote, so you weren't the only one to pick up on that.

[/quote]

Happy to report that the club selectors blood pressure has returned to near normal
Doon exile....

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

:lol: