Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by jimbob17 »

joey1001 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:23 pm
Fairplayalways wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm
joey1001 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:08 am

Well each to their own but the game is more physical now without a doubt, lads are way bigger stronger and harder hitting, there is actually more tackling and proper skilled tackling, the difference of course is the hitting is fair and skilled.. you're mixing it up, the game wasn't "physical" in the 70s 80s it was just dirty and full of cheap shots! The skill levels now are way way beyond, that's a fact. And what proves that more now is that players nowadays are able to show their skill despite maybe bring tackled by a couple of players.. Higher scoring games despite players being swamped by other players. Your argument about half empty grounds is void because more people attend games now, there are also far more games played also and there is a lot more going on for people to be doing nowadays. Couldn't watch a game from the 70s 80s it's putrid.
come back and fuve me an example of where a sliothar goes over the bar now into a terrace full of spectators...or even half full...ok grounds are bigger now i suppose and more avail of 'the stand' in these venues, but for their size, Ulster games being the exception in the main, these stadiums are no where near full or even half full...it will bw the same this weekend...if dodging a tackle and pucking the ball unmarked for a score is a skill well then we are in bother with hurling and where will it end up in another 10/15 years if it evolves to the so called skill levels you say it has, perhaps games will go online altogether and contact will be non existent at all...we will agree to differ, on the skill level, but show me a full house stadium this weekend - even Tipp a nd Limerick will not be full house and no doubt large areas of stadium will be empty or closed...it used nor be like that..something has changed..
So what you're saying is that it's more skilful to try bulldoze through a man to get closer to the goal and still miss than sidestep a tackle lay off a ball to a man in a scoring position and score? Seriously??? You think belting a lad with a hurl or a box in football is more skilful than getting hands in on the ball and tackling properly or getting a hurl in and flicking it away? Or you just takin the Mick?? There is more contact in the game than ever before! I'd be pretty sure aswell average match attendances aren't any lower than they were one time, given the amount of games being played, even the underage games have big crowds. We won't agree to differ on the skill levels, it's simply disrespectful to players nowadays who give their whole lives to perfecting their skills compared to lads smokin' and drinking before a game .. it's about time that stuff was called out, comparing lads from back in the 80s who wouldn't get a puck or a kick of the ball today and who simply did not put the same into the game as the players nowadays, it's just disrespectful to current players. They are far stronger, far fitter, far more physical, far more skilful than players of previous era, there is no agree to differ, those are simply facts.. come back to me about the attendances when you have numbers
Agree with aspects of what is being said but there are a few things nobody mentions. There is no doubt but game skills appear better but If the lads of the 80's had the hurls of today, would they be able to do similar? I absolutely believe they would. There is a lot of dismissiveness regarding heroes of the past and I dont think that is fair. The size of the bas now is as big as what a goalie used back then and in all likelihood is over the actual regulation size in most instances. The pitch surfaces are in a different ball park and the sliotar standards is changed drastically, as has the support structures around s&c and nutrition and everything else in between. The travel distance of current sliotar is ruining our game too as it has eradicated all the contests that once were central to the game. That is the difference, not the calibre of the hurlers. The landscape has changed.

I think you could say lots of them may not have the skill set to play the current game, purely due to lack of exposure to the type of game and I also think id be safe in saying many would not want to play the current game either. I'd disagree with plenty of regular statements about the players of the 80s. I think they may not have the fitness to play current game but id also say that many of the current crop would not have the skill set to play the game of the 80's and deal with the physical manly contests, or fellas pulling on the ball in the air. I cant think of any current player that would be able to score goals like Jimmy Barry Murphys over head pull or John Fentons famous goal v Limerick. The game has changed but has the quality as a spectacle really improved all that much? Not so sure...
jimbob

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Stronger Offaly team tomorrow than I expected.
Kiely back and Burke on the subs.
Friction ongoing between senior and u20 management over usage.

Weak enough Clare side but a lot of lads playing for spots on their squad.
They also need a win to assure them of a semi final spot.

Let’s hope we can give them a game.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

I really hope there is no friction between both sets of mgt. Its easy one for me. Seniors get first call on players. Offaly have to win the joe mcdonagh, nothing else matters.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Pretty sure been more than competive at u20 for potentially 3 years in a row would be better for player's development in the long term.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

It probably would be but senior should get first call .

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Clare have only 4 lads that have ever started championship games and none of those 3 could be considered regulars and one is a goalie. Quilligan is under pressure to stay in goals and Hayes, Seadna Morey and Ian Galvin wouldn't start half the time.

Lots of lads there I've never heard of too so they are giving back end of panel a run out v us as they have topped league and are qualified. In that sense, we should be competitive and should have real chance of winning given it is a 2nd string Clare team. I'd actually be disappointed if we lost.

As for the management issue, heard rumblings of this last year too but maybe people blow this stuff out of proportion. Heard nothing this year to be fair. I think, given where we are, the young lads priority should be U20 while getting some exposure to senior for some of the older lads.

I think Offaly exec should make a call that no u19s play senior and only those who are in final year can play up. This is a unique bunch for us, and we should try win leinster u20 this year at all costs if really interested in developing these lads - that is far from a given as their cards are marked now and Dublin Wexford and kk will up their game for them.

We will be close to mark in McDonagh this year again, and I'd be confident we will win this within two years if we keep progressing.
jimbob

faithfulfanatic
All Star

I’d like to hope there’s a balance between both.
But at the end of the day it’s a results process and winning Joe McDonagh is the most important thing at the moment.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:40 pm
Anonymous1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:05 pm
greenairfield wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:13 pm I could safely say some lads in here don't go to games enough or don't see what's going on in front of them.

I said here weeks back while there is signs of improbment we still have huge strides to go before been competitive with the top teams.

We can't expect so much from lads who at the end of the day are limited.

I am unsure how you can expect more from Eoghan Cahill he is super scorer but lacks pace and can't win his own ball so the answer is no we shouldn't expect more from him.

Still signs of improvement this year but long way to go yet and more heavy defeats before we are where we want to be.
I was pilloried a few weeks ago for saying I didn’t see much evidence of progress but I think my point was proven today.

You were quite correctly pilloried or whatever you were, clowns like you who were only too delighted to see the result against cork, couldn't wait to get back on here to say "I told you so". Well I'll tell you so now, you're a clown and not a supporter if you classify yourself as that! And also you're wrong about progress, a draw against Wexford and competitive in games against Kilkenny and Waterford shows huge progress. To have to go out and face opposition week in week out that are of a higher standard is hugely demanding and has taken its toll . When we win the Joe mc come back and tell us what you think then because we just love to hear what you have to say. Smh
Shows how far we’ve fallen that you think winning the Joe Mc would be some sort of gotcha despite the fact we’d come straight back down the following year anyway.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:06 pm
joey1001 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:40 pm
Anonymous1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:05 pm

I was pilloried a few weeks ago for saying I didn’t see much evidence of progress but I think my point was proven today.

You were quite correctly pilloried or whatever you were, clowns like you who were only too delighted to see the result against cork, couldn't wait to get back on here to say "I told you so". Well I'll tell you so now, you're a clown and not a supporter if you classify yourself as that! And also you're wrong about progress, a draw against Wexford and competitive in games against Kilkenny and Waterford shows huge progress. To have to go out and face opposition week in week out that are of a higher standard is hugely demanding and has taken its toll . When we win the Joe mc come back and tell us what you think then because we just love to hear what you have to say. Smh
Shows how far we’ve fallen that you think winning the Joe Mc would be some sort of gotcha despite the fact we’d come straight back down the following year anyway.

You're right it shows how far we've fallen, we were a lot lower than this, beaten by down in the third tier a few years back.. we are on the way back up, Shows how deluded you are and how far in the past you are living.. winning the Joe McDonagh and staying up the following year would be huge progress , why you hate your county?

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Consequential enough result from the westmeath game

Would have thought they’d have fancied themselves against dublin, definitely would have them seeing dublin as a team they could compete against given earlier performances in the league

Well beaten by them today

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Huge league performance overall apart from the cork game, well done to all involved. Onward and upward for the McDonagh cup, will be heavy favourites going in now, let's hope we can handle that and win it.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:36 pm Consequential enough result from the westmeath game

Would have thought they’d have fancied themselves against dublin, definitely would have them seeing dublin as a team they could compete against given earlier performances in the league

Well beaten by them today
Westmeath were down to 14 men very early in the match

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Disappointing to lose, probably should have held out to win. Better league than expected
Last edited by private joker on Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faithfulfanatic
All Star

Very positive result in Birr, heartbreaking not to get the win.
Clare had to go to the big guns after half time (Reidy, Cleary, Shanagher) to bring them back into the game with the wind.

Only time Clare led was in the 75th minute when they scored the winner from a very soft free against David Nally.
Offaly without Cillian Kiely, Ciaran Burke, Charlie Mitchell and all of the u20s. The commenters that love to criticise Offaly and will talk about Clare having a changed side out always neglect to mention Offaly are missing plenty of key players.
Very impressed by Sam Bourke, very physical and popped up with 2 points.
Jack Clancy brings great athleticism and did well to score the goal.
Mark Troy looks so composed in the goals and a good save.
Padraig Cantwell did well for a while but looked leggy in the last 20 mins which is understandable on a heavy pitch and after a long layoff. Surprised he wasn’t taken off, management were slow to make any switch and it seemed like they didn’t want to change the back line.
Killian Sampson looked far more comfortable back in the backs, such a gifted and natural hurler.
David King and Leon Fox brought much needed physicality around the middle.
David Nally hurled very well and looks to have put on some size.
Eimhin Kelly was very good, set up the goal and a few points and won 2-3 scorable frees.
Great to have Oisin Kelly back, always a danger and the sharpness will come.
Eoghan Cahill did well but it still feels we should be getting more out of him. 2 missed frees in the second half proved costly (into a very tough breeze I must add).
That battle today will stand to lads, a far better place to be than last year.
Some of the negativity on here lately is shocking, you’d swear Offaly were back in the Christy ring struggling against Derry and Sligo with some of the comments being made, the progress is clear to see.
Cork are always liable to hammer a team and they love to keep going for goals when they get their tails up.

And commenters today saying that we will come straight back down if we go up.
What makes you think that? Either Carlow or Antrim would still be there, and we aren’t a million miles off of Dublin or Wexford (Wexford also shipped a heavy defeat to Cork today).
Comments above also saying that they haven’t heard of too many of the Clare team, so they mustn’t be great. That’s far more a reflection of your limited hurling knowledge than anything else.

Offaly are improving the whole time and I’d wonder if all of the complainers here even attend the games to support the lads.
Keep the Faith.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:22 pm Very positive result in Birr, heartbreaking not to get the win.
Clare had to go to the big guns after half time (Reidy, Cleary, Shanagher) to bring them back into the game with the wind.

Only time Clare led was in the 75th minute when they scored the winner from a very soft free against David Nally.
Offaly without Cillian Kiely, Ciaran Burke, Charlie Mitchell and all of the u20s. The commenters that love to criticise Offaly and will talk about Clare having a changed side out always neglect to mention Offaly are missing plenty of key players.
Very impressed by Sam Bourke, very physical and popped up with 2 points.
Jack Clancy brings great athleticism and did well to score the goal.
Mark Troy looks so composed in the goals and a good save.
Padraig Cantwell did well for a while but looked leggy in the last 20 mins which is understandable on a heavy pitch and after a long layoff. Surprised he wasn’t taken off, management were slow to make any switch and it seemed like they didn’t want to change the back line.
Killian Sampson looked far more comfortable back in the backs, such a gifted and natural hurler.
David King and Leon Fox brought much needed physicality around the middle.
David Nally hurled very well and looks to have put on some size.
Eimhin Kelly was very good, set up the goal and a few points and won 2-3 scorable frees.
Great to have Oisin Kelly back, always a danger and the sharpness will come.
Eoghan Cahill did well but it still feels we should be getting more out of him. 2 missed frees in the second half proved costly (into a very tough breeze I must add).
That battle today will stand to lads, a far better place to be than last year.
Some of the negativity on here lately is shocking, you’d swear Offaly were back in the Christy ring struggling against Derry and Sligo with some of the comments being made, the progress is clear to see.
Cork are always liable to hammer a team and they love to keep going for goals when they get their tails up.

And commenters today saying that we will come straight back down if we go up.
What makes you think that? Either Carlow or Antrim would still be there, and we aren’t a million miles off of Dublin or Wexford (Wexford also shipped a heavy defeat to Cork today).
Comments above also saying that they haven’t heard of too many of the Clare team, so they mustn’t be great. That’s far more a reflection of your limited hurling knowledge than anything else.

Offaly are improving the whole time and I’d wonder if all of the complainers here even attend the games to support the lads.
Keep the Faith.

Here here. Well said.