Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
FaithfulFuture
Junior B
Club: S

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by FaithfulFuture »

Going to be very tight between the three midland teams this year I feel.

Both Laois and Westmeath have recent championship experience at a higher level. Despite our decent showing in the league this year, championship is different gravy.

I get that we have to earn the right to play at the highest level, but surely with Laois, Offaly and Westmeath operating at a decent level overall the last couple of years, we should be able to participate in our own provincial championship, seeing as 1/3 of the teams in it aren't even from Leinster....
Alas that's for a another day.

Really hope we can have a clean bill of health going over to o Moore park in a few weeks time. Going to need key players such as Conneely, Kiely, Sampsons X2, Burke and oisin Kelly flying it

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

FaithfulFuture wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:21 pm
I get that we have to earn the right to play at the highest level, but surely with Laois, Offaly and Westmeath operating at a decent level overall the last couple of years, we should be able to participate in our own provincial championship, seeing as 1/3 of the teams in it aren't even from Leinster....
Alas that's for a another day.

I don't think any county should be denied the opportunity to compete for their provincial championship, it's terrible what they do to Kerry. Winning Leinster with Galway in it, or Galway or Antrim winning "Leinster" is just silly. Provincial championships should be played instead of the leagues and pre season tournaments and ran off at that time with every county getting to compete. Of course there will be hammerings but teams will want to compete against better teams. Then run the championships as they are with relegation and promotion, would get rid of one championship and have more teams in the others and more games. Same in the football.. play the provincials in place if the league/ O Byrne cups etc and the the championship 4 groups of 8 with seedings, top 4 in each into all Ireland, bottom 4 into tailteann cup, 1-4 and 2v3 in both and open up the draw then after that.. everyone then has a chance to compete for all competitions if good enough, they would get to play the strongest, middle and weaker teams and would be a true reflection of teams and teams would get to play others at all levels.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Times and dates for the first 2 rounds finally confirmed...with less than 2 weeks to go:

Sunday April 21st 14:00
Leix vs Offaly
Venue: Leix Hire O'Moore Park, Portleix

Saturday April 27th 15:00
Offaly vs West Meath
Venue: Glenisk O'Connor Park, Tellamore

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

Why did it take so long to confirm the details of these fixtures?
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

I guess they were trying to see if they could slot them in on the Sunday Game?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It's shocking. Details revealed only yesterday (Tuesday), 11 days before the Saturday.
The Meagher, Rackard, Ring and McDonagh cups aren't deemed to be spectator sports, don't have sponsors and as a result there is zero promotion of the games.
Wing Back wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:48 pm Why did it take so long to confirm the details of these fixtures?
That said, a Sunday afternoon fixture in Portlaoise should attract a decent crowd now.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:27 pm It's shocking. Details revealed only yesterday (Tuesday), 11 days before the Saturday.
The Meagher, Rackard, Ring and McDonagh cups aren't deemed to be spectator sports, don't have sponsors and as a result there is zero promotion of the games.
Wing Back wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:48 pm Why did it take so long to confirm the details of these fixtures?
That said, a Sunday afternoon fixture in Portlaoise should attract a decent crowd now.
To all extents and purposes Offaly's season hinges on Round 1 and 2. Lose them and it's all she wrote. Win them and we should comfortably make final.

This brings the condensed season to a whole new level!! A 6 day window will see where this team is going.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:27 pm It's shocking. Details revealed only yesterday (Tuesday), 11 days before the Saturday.
Pity the powers that be fixed it for same time as Clare v Limerick :roll:

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

Pity the powers that be fixed it for same time as Clare v Limerick :roll:
Why would that have anything to do with Offaly or loais?

It's tome for offaly to show that the league performance wasn't just because of the bigger teams not fielding full strength squads and to be honest they should be better

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I expect tickets for Ennis will be scarce enough. Portlaoise it is, can watch Klare v Limerick on the Player during the week when I get time.
allstar2010 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:26 pmPity the powers that be fixed it for same time as Clare v Limerick :roll:
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

G91 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:41 pm Pity the powers that be fixed it for same time as Clare v Limerick :roll:
Why would that have anything to do with Offaly or loais?

It's tome for offaly to show that the league performance wasn't just because of the bigger teams not fielding full strength squads and to be honest they should be better
We’re all hurling supporters and the game of the weekend is Clare v Limerick just a pity we won’t be able to watch it live now.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:28 pm I expect tickets for Ennis will be scarce enough. Portlaoise it is, can watch Klare v Limerick on the Player during the week when I get time.
allstar2010 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:26 pmPity the powers that be fixed it for same time as Clare v Limerick :roll:
*Clare

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

So we are in fact favourites going into this one.. I believe value to be has again here as offaly are clear favourites in my eyes given league performances and performances last year. Offaly have improved significantly as a team and individually, the new lads coming in are at a better level and we've simply raised out game. I expect like the footballers being the superior team and a cut above Laois, we will stamp our authority on this one and start our last McDonagh cup campaign with a comfortable win.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

joey1001 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:12 am So we are in fact favourites going into this one.. I believe value to be has again here as offaly are clear favourites in my eyes given league performances and performances last year. Offaly have improved significantly as a team and individually, the new lads coming in are at a better level and we've simply raised out game. I expect like the footballers being the superior team and a cut above Laois, we will stamp our authority on this one and start our last McDonagh cup campaign with a comfortable win.
I like your optimism for Sunday’s game. Laois will make it difficult for us, they recall the Offaly v Carlow game last year. Offaly lost a group game, and Laois lost out. The league games were an improvement, but Cork and Waterford had big wins against Offaly.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

SearingDrive wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:53 pm
joey1001 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:12 am So we are in fact favourites going into this one.. I believe value to be has again here as offaly are clear favourites in my eyes given league performances and performances last year. Offaly have improved significantly as a team and individually, the new lads coming in are at a better level and we've simply raised out game. I expect like the footballers being the superior team and a cut above Laois, we will stamp our authority on this one and start our last McDonagh cup campaign with a comfortable win.
I like your optimism for Sunday’s game. Laois will make it difficult for us, they recall the Offaly v Carlow game last year. Offaly lost a group game, and Laois lost out. The league games were an improvement, but Cork and Waterford had big wins against Offaly.
Given that we beat them last year and Offaly have certainly improved and have been competing at a higher level this year, Laois will be tough and up for it but it's hard to see anything only an Offaly win. The scoreboard was definitely not an accurate reflection of the game against waterford and the cork game was an exception, a bogey team who certainly didn't suit us and once they got a run on us, nothing we could do, it was a result aswell of having to compete week in week out with superior opposition and taking its toll on the team. There's been a huge improvement in the established players and the ones coming through are at a different skill level after proper development has been in place for a long number of years now.. first touch, poor wrist work, not coming out of a ruck with the ball etc were the problems along with a lack of physicality, these have been remedied now, maybe the physicality not to the extent of the others but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the days of Kerry, Laois and Westmeath beating us are over. Next we put Antrim in the bracket and we compete with Wexford and Dublin. That's the goal and I think we're well on our way, I think Sunday will show that.