New club football format

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Re: New club football format

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

This is so bad is there anyway it can be reversed?

Following the, I think, uniformly negative reaction, could it be voted on again or alternative structures proposed at the next county board meeting?

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Why was it not advised to the clubs beforehand so they could have meaningful discussions at club level and the delegates would vote thereafter on the club’s decision (similar to rhr u17/18 vote).

It meant the the delegates were asked to vote on something that had not been discussed or advised in advance and may not represent the true views of their respective clubs.
Doon exile....

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I haven't spoken to a single person who thinks this is a good idea and that includes 5 players so far. Totally devalues the championships. What were they thinking dreaming up such a concept and then even crazier the clubs voted for it!
I wonder will any club think of taking the piss on a grand scale and give 3 walkovers in the group and then rock up nice and fresh (having done their own thing) for the 1/4 finals? That would be some laugh.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

i think people outside the county a) cant believe it and b) are puzzled that they are missing something? id ask who thought it up? and how did club deligates vote for it thinking it had any value.,were they asleep? its all very strange. surely it can be reverted to last years system? every game has some value.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

bracknaghboy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:07 pm I haven't spoken to a single person who thinks this is a good idea and that includes 5 players so far. Totally devalues the championships. What were they thinking dreaming up such a concept and then even crazier the clubs voted for it!
I wonder will any club think of taking the piss on a grand scale and give 3 walkovers in the group and then rock up nice and fresh (having done their own thing) for the 1/4 finals? That would be some laugh.
I'm not defending the vote - I think it's an appallingly daft system - but I think there's a rule that says if you give two walkovers, you're out of the championship.

Now playing two games and giving a walkover in R3 to set up a more attractive match in the quarter-final, or maybe giving a walkover if you have a temporary injury crisis to avoid pulling three or four lads up from the second team for one match, now that's the kind of thing I could foresee happening very easily.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Lone Shark wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:57 pm
bracknaghboy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:07 pm I haven't spoken to a single person who thinks this is a good idea and that includes 5 players so far. Totally devalues the championships. What were they thinking dreaming up such a concept and then even crazier the clubs voted for it!
I'm not defending the vote - I think it's an appallingly daft system - but I think there's a rule that says if you give two walkovers, you're out of the championship.

Now playing two games and giving a walkover in R3 to set up a more attractive match in the quarter-final, or maybe giving a walkover if you have a temporary injury crisis to avoid pulling three or four lads up from the second team for one match, now that's the kind of thing I could foresee happening very easily.

For the dual clubs in particular, if you have a do or die group game in the hurling the following week wouldn’t you be seriously tempted to give a walkover in the football?

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

most senior football panels are 30 plus strong so i wouldnt envisage walk overs . just teams not really giving a fuck til the 1/4 final. and as stated with dual clubs the risk of injury in football will be ensured to be v low.