Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

Post by Wing Back »

Faithfully wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:26 am
Worth noting that 3 teams actually progress from the groups here.

You must be joking. That's ridiculous. A straight knockout open draw would be far better. What is the reason for 3 teams?
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

3 out of the 4 teams that finish in 3rd place will go into Preliminary Quarter finals.
Finishing top 3 should be straightforward for Offaly, but if we're scraping through like that, it doesn't bode well for the remainder of the tournament.

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:24 am 3 out of the 4 teams that finish in 3rd place will go into Preliminary Quarter finals.
Finishing top 3 should be straightforward for Offaly, but if we're scraping through like that, it doesn't bode well for the remainder of the tournament.
My original point stands.....3 out of 4 getting through from groups in this competition is a joke.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Faithfully wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:40 pm
pigeon house biffo wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:16 pm they'll hardly have the appetite for this comp having been stuck in it last year too
Just to focus on this, there is zero reason why Offaly shouldn't be all guns blazing for the Tailteann Cup. I struggle to see how they wouldn't have an appetite for it.

We're not stuck in the competition, we are a bonafide Tailteann level team based on the last decade (8 seasons spent in division three, 1 each in two and four). We are kidding ourselves if we think we're too good for it.

This is a great opportunity for the young lads to continue their development even further and possibly get another run out in Croker if we make the semis, and hopefully set us on the road to being a team that can target division 2 and the All Ireland Championship.
^ This.

We are in a tournament that offers competitive games. We are here on merit and it is our level. We should do ourselves and the competition justice and go at it with everything. Going through the motions is always a waste of time.

Best of luck to the players and all involved.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

jk1022 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:33 pm
ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:26 pm
If he was in Offaly he wouldn’t be playing as he played soccer all the way up. Played underage for Ireland and with St Pats. Meath don’t turn those lads away. And neither should we.
Ah he would of course, sure Jack bryant and Cian McNamee are a couple of examples of lads not overly committed to GAA because of soccer at underage and sloted back in. Cormac Egan dipped in and out a fair bit too
But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!
You having a laugh? Cian was dropped off the development squad for playing soccer and was almost dropped this year from the minor panel only the manager was strong enough to say no.
So He actually did play minor, so your initial point above is wrong???

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Wing Back wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:21 pm
Bord na Mona man wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:24 am 3 out of the 4 teams that finish in 3rd place will go into Preliminary Quarter finals.
My original point stands.....3 out of 4 getting through from groups in this competition is a joke.
Ridiculous, if we are 3rd in the group then thats it...forget about it, and thats where we got whipped last year by Wexford in Tullamore, who went on to be dismantled by Meath last year.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

All quiet on this front for what is the start of out all Ireland at this time.. its been a very good year so far, a good league campaign confirmed having watched the performances of Down, Sligo Clare and wicklow in the championship to date. A big comfortable win in first round of leinster and a lot of positives from the dublin game. Let's hope we show up today with purpose and put London away convincingly, we should be able to get some time into some fringe players aswell during a group stage where we should have 2 comfortable wins (the limerick game will be much different than the league game) and have a right crack at Down, I think this team will go for this championship this year.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

How will Limerick game be much different as a matter of interest? We fell over the line and down there they will get stuck into us big ssshtyle. Have we got the belly for it. We were awful in that game after dominating for good spells, and near the end there was more interest in what was happening in Antrim that day.
It will take a big change in past atitudes to make progress in this competition, best of luck to the lads, get over the line today and then tear into Limerick and we will be fine.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

You think we will beat Limerick comfortably?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

'Should' and 'comfortably' are dangerous words to keep bandying about.
The reality is very often different.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:04 am How will Limerick game be much different as a matter of interest? We fell over the line and down there they will get stuck into us big ssshtyle. Have we got the belly for it. We were awful in that game after dominating for good spells, and near the end there was more interest in what was happening in Antrim that day.
It will take a big change in past atitudes to make progress in this competition, best of luck to the lads, get over the line today and then tear into Limerick and we will be fine.

Yea I wouldn't read into the result in the league, last day of the league, results were strange as always is the case and that's across all divisions, offaly looked tired after long campaign, yes I know it was no longer than limericks but Limerick had nothing play for which took pressure off.. relegation was an unlikely scenario but it probably created some tension for offaly which would have affected performance. Limerick came to stifle and stop offaly anyway they could to relegate them, there was a lot of high tackles and late tackles, come championship game Limerick won't be getting away with that and they will try to play a different way also.. offaly dominated large parts of that game but didn't show it on the score board and they did battle well to get over the line in fairness when they were down and against those Limerick tactics. If you look at the league, we were competitive against down In Newry who came close to beating armagh in championship, people went a bit nuts over the clare game but it was a freak result and worth remembering we put ourselves 9 points up against them, did Kerry go that far ahead of them at any stage last weekend and even though we lost a big lead we still battled and should have won the game with the penalty at the end, we annihilated wicklow who beat westmeath and should have beaten Kildare. We drew up in Sligo who apart from a poor mistake at the end had Galway (connaught champions after beating mayo)beaten. Laois walked division 4 and they couldn't lay a hand on us and dublin is dublin but we actually showed an awful lot of good stuff against dublin, I think the team particularly the young lads will have gained confidence having been the ones to go toe to toe with dubs, more importantly i think they'll have enjoyed it and will be keen for a lot more and to showcase themselves a lot more. The team has shown how capable it is and if we go for it, I see us with comfortable wins against London and Limerick and have a proper crack at Down. This is a good team and there is a lot more to come, we'll see a couple more all Ireland u20s next year again I expect and there's definitely 3 from this years u20 who will add strongly to the squad next year and after. We'll start with the big win today, hon offaly.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:19 am 'Should' and 'comfortably' are dangerous words to keep bandying about.
The reality is very often different.
Well going into the laois game I said we should comfortably beat them, im not usually for off the mark on my analysis, we've seen some strong form lines coming from the teams we played in the league. Maybe I'm being over positive and ambitious but I'm gonna stick with "if we go about it the right way, we should comfortably beat London and Limerick and have a good crack at Down, here's hoping 😁

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

At least the hurling is going alright I suppose

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

joey1001 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:35 am All quiet on this front for what is the start of out all Ireland at this time.. its been a very good year so far, a good league campaign confirmed having watched the performances of Down, Sligo Clare and wicklow in the championship to date. A big comfortable win in first round of leinster and a lot of positives from the dublin game. Let's hope we show up today with purpose and put London away convincingly, we should be able to get some time into some fringe players aswell during a group stage where we should have 2 comfortable wins (the limerick game will be much different than the league game) and have a right crack at Down, I think this team will go for this championship this year.

Well Joey, 8 points down to London with 8 minutes to go.

How convincing and comfortable is this ? :lol

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:35 am All quiet on this front for what is the start of out all Ireland at this time.. its been a very good year so far, a good league campaign confirmed having watched the performances of Down, Sligo Clare and wicklow in the championship to date. A big comfortable win in first round of leinster and a lot of positives from the dublin game. Let's hope we show up today with purpose and put London away convincingly, we should be able to get some time into some fringe players aswell during a group stage where we should have 2 comfortable wins (the limerick game will be much different than the league game) and have a right crack at Down, I think this team will go for this championship this year.
Well Joey, was that convincing enough for you?