Offaly Intermediate Club Hurling Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Pick the 2 finalists

Rynaghs
5%
Drumcullen
23%
Coolderry
18%
Belmont
5%
Seir Kieran
No votes
Carrig and Riverstown
36%
Shinrone
No votes
Edenderry
14%

Total votes: 22

aigne
Junior B

Re: Offaly Intermediate Club Hurling Championship 2023

Post by aigne »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:32 pm Believe it or not, Edenderry were 5-5 to 5-4 winners over in 1938’s Senior hurling quarter-final! Edenderry gave Drumcullen a walkover in 1964 while in their only other meeting (1965), Drumcullen were 7-10 to 1-4 winners.
Thanks, was wondering when Edenderry and Drumcullen last met. I wonder when was the last time Edenderry played an IHC quarter final?

Probably the 60s, but not sure about 1999.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

The pitch in Edenderry was always known as the ‘hurling field’.
While success in hurling hasn’t always come down through the years, their is a tradition of the game in the town which had a Senior hurling team before some of the other clubs in the county.
In regards to 1999, if memory serves me right Edenderry played Carrig in a relegation play off or last group game losing by a point or two, not sure if the relegation actually happened, Ger Oakley and his brother would have been on the Carrig team in 99 I think, Drumcullen and Edenderry would have met numerous times at junior A level down through the years not sure of the last game or list of games.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Drumcullen 1-20 Edenderry 0-11, Edenderry lacking scoring forwards again and hit 5-6 wides from frees. The goal before half time was a major boost for Drumcullen and it took the wind out of Edenderry.
I can’t see Drumcullen winning the semi final, while it was a big win today Edenderry were poor and a lot stronger opposition awaits in the semi.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

kingscounty wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:22 pm Drumcullen 1-20 Edenderry 0-11, Edenderry lacking scoring forwards again and hit 5-6 wides from frees.
When Edenderry returned to hurling in 2020 putting up big scores has been the reason they won 2 championships in 3 years.
But today their main scorers are missing....no Cian Farrell, no Dave Hanlon and Shane Cummins named but didn't feature today.
What is going on, have some lads just committed to football this year?

I wouldn't be too hard on them today, they kept going right to the end even though Drumcullen were clearly a better team.
Edenderry keeper had a couple of great saves and decent puckouts throughout, Dywer at centre back hurled a serious amount of ball, Mark Abbott caught the eye as well (he's as energetic with a hurl as the football pitch) and Foy hit some decent scores. Yes overall a lack of fire power but certainly not humiliated today.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

I agree with you Bracknagh, considering 4 years ago there no was no team, two championships won and a quarter final place in intermediate isn’t to bad of a return either.
I have to give credit to Mark Abbot playing but codes his fitness levels are off the charts, he played very well along with Dwyer. It will be few years before the underage will feed through also, so hopefully they can challenge for inter title in few years time

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Semi final line up- St.Rynaghs v Carrig and Coolderry v Drumcullen who will be out for revenge after the group defeat. Carrig would be my favourites for the championship they looked in great shape in the group stages but then again they are the only team from their group in the last four so the level of opposition might not have been as strong as the other group.
Not sure when or where the games are fixed for, you would imagine Birr in two weeks time

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Carrig tend to struggle to get over the line in knockout in recent years and I’ve heard one if their best hurlers is out with a bad knee injury. I’d fancy them to get to the final but I think Coolderry will win it out.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Last three meetings of the IHC quarter-final opponents

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Coolderry v Drumcullen
In 2015, Drumcullen were 2-18 to 2-10 winners
In 2017, Drumcullen were 1-29 to 1-11 Intermediate quarter-final winners
Coolderry were 1-18 to 0-16 winners earlier this year

Carrig & Riverstown v St Rynagh’s
In 2016, Carrig & Riverstown were 2-11 to 0-8 winners
They drew 0-17 each in the 2017 Intermediate championship
In 2021, Carrig & Riverstown were 0-20 to 0-12 winners
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Carrig 0-24 Rynaghs 1-12 , another big score put up by CR whom in my opinion are far to strong for this grade, tomorrow’s semi should be a tighter affair.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Big win for Carrig but I think that was expected. I still think either Drumcullen or Coolderry will win it out

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

[youtube][/youtube]
kingscounty wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:48 pm Carrig 0-24 Rynaghs 1-12 , another big score put up by CR whom in my opinion are far to strong for this grade, tomorrow’s semi should be a tighter affair.
Carrig were 5-6 points favourites as it was.
That was before a seriously depleted Rynaghs side had their talisman Donal Moran sent off after 5 minutes.

If Carrig were far too strong for this grade, they would have been promoted already.
Drumcullen or Coolderry will present a far tougher test.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Drumcullen 1-19 Coolderry 4-12 - big collapse from Drumcullen who were 7 points up with 20 mins left to play, huge come back from Coolderry.
Anyone at the game with more insight?

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

36% of voters had Carrig/Riverstown in the final.

Only 4 voted for Coolderry, just 1 more than for Edenderry, I wonder who was voting for them. 😅
Belmont also had a vote and ended up relegated.

Coolderry had their best weekend of hurling in years with 2 hugely important wins.

Goals win games and this proved true against Drumcullen with 4 goals seeing them through.

Brilliant matchup in the final, a youthful Carrig side with some great underage talent coming through versus a Coolderry team littered with veteran experience. I’d imagine one side wants the final in Birr while the other wants the open expanses of Tullamore.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

:evil:
faithfulfanatic wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:33 am 36% of voters had Carrig/Riverstown in the final.

Only 4 voted for Coolderry, just 1 more than for Edenderry, I wonder who was voting for them. 😅
Belmont also had a vote and ended up relegated.

Coolderry had their best weekend of hurling in years with 2 hugely important wins.

Goals win games and this proved true against Drumcullen with 4 goals seeing them through.

Brilliant matchup in the final, a youthful Carrig side with some great underage talent coming through versus a Coolderry team littered with veteran experience. I’d imagine one side wants the final in Birr while the other wants the open expanses of Tullamore.
And yet Coolderry only beat Belmont ‘relegated’ as you say by 2 points and Rynaghs by 2 points! Lol
Carrig were outstanding in Birr against Edenderry all be it who struggled with the pace for their first time at the level in 20 odd years, you would imagine the game will be in Birr sure isn’t the home of hurling

TerraceTalk
Intermediate

Post by TerraceTalk »

Who will lift the first championship in Offaly this weekend? Looks set to be a right good game and could come down to the wire. I’ll go with Carrig by 3.