Offaly Intermediate Club Hurling Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Pick the 2 finalists

Rynaghs
5%
Drumcullen
23%
Coolderry
18%
Belmont
5%
Seir Kieran
No votes
Carrig and Riverstown
36%
Shinrone
No votes
Edenderry
14%

Total votes: 22

Dodge83
All Star

Re: Offaly Intermediate Club Hurling Championship 2023

Post by Dodge83 »

If Carrig perform they should win it but they haven’t been
Tested yet. I think if it’s a tight game coming into the last 10 mins Coolderrys experience will see them through. Im going Coolderry by 2

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Looking forward to this game, I went for
Carrig at the start of the year, but Coolderry have been on form also, the come back against Drumcullen shows they will be hard bet after been behind by 8 or 9 in that game.
Good luck to both teams I will go for Carrig 1-17 Coolderry 2-12

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Carrig 1-20 Coolderry 2-11 : enjoyable game and a very tight first half but CR hurling and movement won out in the end.
For CR I thought Hoctor at 11 was motm, scored some great points and was very good on dead balls, MCDowell put away a very good goal in the second half that really was the winning of the game.
Kevin Brady caused a good bit of bother for CR defence each time the ball was hit in and took a goal and two points. Brophy #17 slotted his goal away great and then was running at CR defence every opportunity he got which one would wonder why he didn’t start.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

First time seeing that Carrig and Riverstown team play this year.
Very impressed by them, a lot of change this year with the team now full of young lads.
Centre back Patrick Bergin is a big imposing and skilful hurler, think I heard someone say he’s only 18, anyone confirm this? If so, I’d love to see him in with the 20s.
The old guard battled well for Coolderry but were always looking like coming up short.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Do Carrig & Riverstown go into the Leinster junior competition now ?

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Dodge83 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:04 pm Do Carrig & Riverstown go into the Leinster junior competition now ?
I would imagine so, unless our senior b winners represent the county ?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Our Senior B Champions represent Offaly in the Leinster Intermediate Championship. However this has to be a club’s first team. Therefore one would think Offaly GAA will nominate Clodiagh Gaels to take part even if they lose the Senior B final to K/K.

Carrig and Riverstown will play in the Leinster Junior Championship.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Carrig & Riverstown playing St Brigid’s of Westmeath this Saturday at 2pm in Birr

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Game moved from birr. Same times.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Would be very surprised if Clodiagh Gaels turn over Kildalkey.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Carrig won by 3. Clodaigh lost by 2 20 to 2 -8. Fairly hammered by the meath champions.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

In recent years Seir Kieran were the only team who I felt were equipped to do well in the Leinster Intermediate Championship. I was actually surprised they were defeated by Bray Emmets in 2019.

Kinnitty may have also made decent progress in 2020 but Covid put paid to that.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Clareen weren't defeated by Bray.
frankthetank wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:02 pm In recent years Seir Kieran were the only team who I felt were equipped to do well in the Leinster Intermediate Championship. I was actually surprised they were defeated by Bray Emmets in 2019.

Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:43 pm Clareen weren't defeated by Bray.
frankthetank wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:02 pm In recent years Seir Kieran were the only team who I felt were equipped to do well in the Leinster Intermediate Championship. I was actually surprised they were defeated by Bray Emmets in 2019.

Apologies, the memory isnt what it was!! Did Bray run them close? I can’t recall who defeated them.

Edit- following a bit of research Seir Kieran defeated Bray in the semi-final by 1-13 to 0-13.

Tullaroan then comfortably beat Seir Kieran in the final.

Interestingly Bray won the final themselves last year.

And I noticed that Naas were winners in 2021.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Bray lost all ireland semi final in Tullamore last year to eventual champions Monaleen. I was at the game, they went very close to beating them.

An all ireland win would see the following year Wicklow champions compete in Leinster senior club championship, just as happened with Naas. It can only be good for the game in the province.

Bray narrowly beat Portlaoise yesterday but they will have their work cut out to get over Thomastown who hammered Cloughbawn of Wexford.

Kildalkey easily dispatched of Clodiagh Gaels yesterday. They’re on the crest of a wave having won Senior Intermediate and Junior in Meath, although yesterday was their first ever win in Leinster. Was Joey Keenaghan out injured yesterday?

Meanwhile, Carrig had a great win. They have Kildare intermediate champions Leixlip next who narrowly overcame Louth senior champions Naomh Fechin. But it’s nigh-on impossible that anyone other than Walter Walsh’s Tullogher-Rosbercon would win this out. They beat Laois champions Colt-Shanahoe 5-25 to 1-01 yesterday. The Kilkenny champions at both junior and intermediate (Tullaroan, Glenmore etc) often go on and consolidate their position or get promoted again, showing just how tough the task is for any other clubs to go and win a Leinster at these grades.