Offaly Senior A Hurling Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Name the 4 semi finalists

KK
25%
Rynaghs
24%
Birr
5%
Tullamore
No votes
Kinnitty
1%
Shinrone
14%
Belmont
20%
Ballinamere
9%
Coolderry
2%
Seir Kieran
No votes

Total votes: 100

private joker
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior A Hurling Championship 2023

Post by private joker »

My understanding is that kk have not made a decision yet as they do not have a chairman in place. Almost certain to remain senior B.

Badly handled by county board, kk should not have to decide. Poor form all round.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

The decision was made at their agm top journalist kevin corrigan reported on the matter.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

I've heard from two sources that no decision was officially made.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Does any other county have any clubs with A and B team playing in the same senior competition? Curious to know if it has been done elsewhere.

And even better, have both teams collided.

Claffey
Junior A

Post by Claffey »

private joker wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:57 am I've heard from two sources that no decision was officially made.
The proposal was to enter teams in Senior A and Senior B - no one spoke in support of having 2 teams in Senior A. The only outstanding issues were on junior teams.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

What will happen with all Senior A & Senior B players now regraded as Senior A?
Will special dispensation be needed to allow lads to be regraded or is there a provision in place for this?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Tullamore had two teams in Junior A two or three years ago. The better team won it. They were put in separate groups for championship - One called Tullamore and other one An Tulach Mhor.
jimbob

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Doon exile....

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

My understanding is the following. Technically, all those who played in the winning Senior B final are graded Senior next year. That would mean that Kilcormac-Killoughey would have around 40 players graded Senior next year.

However, the regrading rules changed about five years ago. Prior to that, the club would be allowed regrade seven of those players to Senior B. But the change in rules means Kilcormac list 18 who can play Senior only, and list a further 15 who cannot play below Senior B. Meaning roughly 20 Senior graded players can be made eligible for Senior B.

As I said, that's my understanding of the new regrading rules. But I could be wrong.
faithfulfanatic wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:16 pm What will happen with all Senior A & Senior B players now regraded as Senior A?
Will special dispensation be needed to allow lads to be regraded or is there a provision in place for this?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:33 pm My understanding is the following. Technically, all those who played in the winning Senior B final are graded Senior next year. That would mean that Kilcormac-Killoughey would have around 40 players graded Senior next year.

However, the regrading rules changed about five years ago. Prior to that, the club would be allowed regrade seven of those players to Senior B. But the change in rules means Kilcormac list 18 who can play Senior only, and list a further 15 who cannot play below Senior B. Meaning roughly 20 Senior graded players can be made eligible for Senior B.

As I said, that's my understanding of the new regrading rules. But I could be wrong.
faithfulfanatic wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:16 pm What will happen with all Senior A & Senior B players now regraded as Senior A?
Just to add to this. The 18 that will be named to hurl Senior A only in 2024 will have to have hurled Senior A at some stage in 2023.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

frankthetank wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:00 pm
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:33 pm My understanding is the following. Technically, all those who played in the winning Senior B final are graded Senior next year. That would mean that Kilcormac-Killoughey would have around 40 players graded Senior next year.

Just to add to this. The 18 that will be named to hurl Senior A only in 2024 will have to have hurled Senior A at some stage in 2023.
So that means that the likes of James Mahon, Leigh Kavanagh and Ter Guinan (who you would expect to hurl Senior A next year) will not be eligible to be named on that 18, as they didn't play any part in the Offaly Senior A Championship?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Correct. So theoretically they can start 2024 playing Senior B and work their way to Senior A.

The reality of it for K/K next year is by the end of the group stage of the championship they will probably have 21 or 22 guys who can only hurl Senior A for the rest of the year. The 18 named, plus the 3 you named and maybe someone else. The problem with this is you can only hurl 20 on any given day.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

The reality of life for panels that are on the younger side is that out of the 20-something players that played senior A hurling for Kilcormac-Killoughey this year, there will probably be three or four that are in Dubai, or Australia, or somewhere else, by the time next year rolls around. They'll get named on the first 18, which will in turn make room for whoever steps up out of Mahon/Guinan/Kavanagh etc.

An interesting hypothetical question under this rule is - imagine you were particularly parsimonious with your first team, and you only used 16 or 17 players in a given year. Would you still have to name 18, as in some poor lad would be graded senior, even though he never played ball at that level?

Well aware it would never work out like that, but still.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

uibhfhaili72
Junior A
Club: St.Rynaghs

Post by uibhfhaili72 »

Do we have any ideas about when the draws and fixtures lists will be published for league and championship 2024

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

With seedings in play the groups will be consist of:

Kilcormac/Killoughey or Shinrone
Ballinamere or St Rynaghs
Birr or Coolderry
Belmont or Tullamore
Kinnitty or Seir Kieran