Offaly Senior A Hurling Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Name the 4 semi finalists

KK
25%
Rynaghs
24%
Birr
5%
Tullamore
No votes
Kinnitty
1%
Shinrone
14%
Belmont
20%
Ballinamere
9%
Coolderry
2%
Seir Kieran
No votes

Total votes: 100

Hasselhoff
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior A Hurling Championship 2023

Post by Hasselhoff »

I've been to all Irelands and the buildup wasn't as good as it was in Birr last Sunday

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Fantastic atmosphere pre and post game in the town last Sunday. I don’t remember an occasion like it for a club game in Offaly since the mid to late 1990’s.

The ground easily catered for the crowd.

For me it’s now a no brainer what the CB should do with the county final going forward but I’d say the best that will happen will be alternate years.

In fact Offaly could do with playing a few games in Birr next year in both league and championship. Capacity wont be an issue and some of those Division 1 teams might suit Offaly a bit better on a smaller pitch than OCP.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

frankthetank wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:46 pm
For me it’s now a no brainer what the CB should do with the county final going forward but I’d say the best that will happen will be alternate years.

In fact Offaly could do with playing a few games in Birr next year in both league and championship. Capacity wont be an issue and some of those Division 1 teams might suit Offaly a bit better on a smaller pitch than OCP.
I'm shocked it took someone 5 full days post match to put up this predictable post!
So Birr would suit Offaly teams better than OCP.
OK but Cork came to Birr in 2022 in the league and the game was over after 5 mins. In fact they were 12 points up after 11 minutes. The pitch was very heavy as well and you'd imagine it would have suited a team trying to slow down the opposition, but it doesn't work like that.
Couple of weeks later in wide expanses and top class surface in OCP Offaly were 1 point down to Clare after an hour before the legs were gone and Clare hit 3 late goals.
A small sample size yes but maybe OCP suits them better?

The next few years are critical. There are some excellent underage hurlers coming through that have a winning mentality. They've played their games on the better surface and more open OCP.
If Offaly's plan to get back anymore close to the top counties relies on trying to bring them to tighter slower playing pitches then there really is no hope.
But that's just my opinion.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Saw it been discussed on ourgame with shane Stapleton and Michael Verney. Basically said that no county final should be held at a club ground with astro in the goals. Verney didn't necessarily agree but you can be damn sure that if Birr wasn't his home club he'd have agreed with shane.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

You are both literally nit picking here.
If a club goalie can't handle a ball coming off an astro turf then he shouldn't be a goalie - also test out the Birr one it doesn't even fly off the ground its literally the same as the sod on a hot summers day. Test it out yourselves.

It's a club ground it needs an astro turf at the goals with the traffic it has on it unlike ocp.

We only asking for a few games to be played here to spread it around the county we are very much aware ocp has better facilities.

As explained before I'm not so sure edenderry and Rhode would be too keen coming to birr to play football all the time.

After last week it's pretty clear we have two major stadiums within the county just spread the love and stop arguing over something that's getting very old at this stage.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

I see Trevor fletcher has resigned as shinrone manager. That is a pity. I thought he might stay on for one more year.

I think there would be a good few clubs after him now.

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Hasselhoff wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:41 pm I see Trevor fletcher has resigned as shinrone manager. That is a pity. I thought he might stay on for one more year.

I think there would be a good few clubs after him now.
Big changes in Shinrone next year. I've heard up to 6 players who saw game time in the county final will be unavailable next year. May not see them back in a county final again.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Kk played ballgunner over the weekend. No exact score but it was a severe beating they got.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Lost by 13 and were without a couple of starters from county final including a possible medium term injury for Peter Geraghty I believe.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Kilcormacs first 6 or 7 subs are equally as good as their 9th - 15th best player. Ballygunner is great game to get as they will be favourites for All Ireland now - probably followed by Limericks Na Piarsaigh and St Thomas' Galway.

Leinster is wide open now for Kilcormac to contest it with Ballyhale gone. KK shouldnt fear O'Loughlin Gaels or Na Fianna from Dublin who have just come out for first time ever. Naas will really fancy their chances too and if they meet them, they should not take them for granted as they are a decent side with plenty of experience now.
jimbob

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

I'd fancy naas to win leinster

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Super display by KK.

More than likely will face O’Loughlin Gaels in 2 weeks in Tullamore.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:26 pm Super display by KK.

More than likely will face O’Loughlin Gaels in 2 weeks in Tullamore.
They face OLG in Tullamore Sunday week

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

This was an impressive win for K-K.
The Wexford county final a while back was a typical Wexford mullockfest, where Gorey looked very dogged when they outfought and outlasted Oylegate.
With home advantage, a heavy pitch, Sean Cleere reffing it, an Offaly team in any way soft, would have been in bother.

As it turned out, K-K were well able for any Gorey horseplay, and had too much hurling quality in the end.
They defended very well and put great pressure on the ball. Conor McDonald who would normally be their stand out was well shackled.
Another indicator was the hooking/blocking stats on the TG4 coverage that were massively in K-K's favour.

It turned out that a 2 point lead with the wind strength was far too little. And when K-K put in a few good deep balls, they created chances.
Also, the ability of James Gorman to contest the high ball in the goalmouth is a useful option for other forwards to feed off. Could Offaly U20s do something similar next year if the channels for the threaded ball to Screeney are blocked?

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:01 pm
Also, the ability of James Gorman to contest the high ball in the goalmouth is a useful option for other forwards to feed off. Could Offaly U20s do something similar next year if the channels for the threaded ball to Screeney are blocked?
I think James Gorman is overage for the 20’s next year……….
Doon exile....