Offaly Camogie & LGFA

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Offaly Camogie & LGFA

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Does anyone have any insight to what is going on with our 2 ladies teams these days?
Seem to be gone significantly backwards in the last 5-10 years.
Lots of the top players not involved and no underage success of any degree.

A demolition of the camogie team today by Waterford, the sort of which seems to be commonplace now.

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly Camogie & LGFA

Post by G91 »

Seems to be a mixed sorts , got to underage finals lost a lienster minor football? , won a junior lienster camogie, under 14 won a lienster football I think , not making massive strides , I don't our club championship is competitive enough, noamh ciaran won the senior league handy enough I think aswell ,

Now all that could be mixed up as to what age groups won and lost

jimbob17
All Star

Re: Offaly Camogie & LGFA

Post by jimbob17 »

Dont keep fully up to speed on what is going on in ladies side but here are some sentiments from outside looking in and some general conversations with some people who would be involved..

Firstly, on camoige side. Lot of change over last number of years re dominant club sides. Rynaghs have come strong and likely KK will too in time. Problem is the competition and possibly coaching at club level is not where it needs to be (generally speaking) and this feeds into under performing county team. I have heard rumblings of north south divided politics in underage county team selections but to be honest, dont have any cold or hard facts. What I do know is camoige in North Offaly has slipped somewhat due to growth of ladies football and soccer mainly in Tullamore and possibly Killeigh parish area. With the population shift towards co town, you would expect higher proportion from these clubs to be playing county level across the grades and this seems to be an issue as the game is not as dominant in this area as it once was due to growth of other codes. Re getting hammered by Waterford, wouldnt see as an issue. They are way above Offalys level and are knocking on door of the dominant counties (Cork Kilkenny and Galway) while Offaly are barely holding senior status. In fact I think Offaly would struggle to get up in short term if they dropped.

Re LGFA, club wise, Naomh Ciaran need more competition. They are a monster club and in interests of Offaly LGFA covering most of West Offaly and including players from Banagher. They should probably split in two (at underage at least) and give more girls more chance to play. Of course they wont like this to be said but Naomh Malaoise were made up of St Vincents and Na Fianna clubs until recently and they were way too big numbers wise. Na Fianna have gone and stepped away to go by themselves at underage and while there may be short term grievance within initial club, it is certainly in best interests of both the kids and Offaly LGFA to have two clubs in these areas serving more girls. Tullamore who are a relatively new club also are probably still Naomh Ciarans main rivals but Ballinamere Durrow, who are also new enough to the party have won a bit at underage as far as I recall and they may contend in years to come at senior level. But generally, you can see growth with these new lgfa clubs starting and in time, these will produce and supply more county level players from these areas.

All in all, from limited knowledge and from outside looking in, id see lgfa in better health than camoige in Offaly currently even if Camoige are at higher grade on inter county adult level. Not much idea on the adult talent in Offaly re county team but there is a notoriously high drop out rate for girls once they hit the 'college years' or there was at least previously. Id imagine if all clubs had their best talent and the best talent made up county senior squad, we would seriously contend for honours. I know they got league promotion last year but LGFA at championship level has gone to huge levels in last few years and if Offaly are to compete for honours, there is a requirement to have the best players on the co panels consistently.
jimbob