Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

Post by Superhans75 »

What really go to me on Saturday was the ability of the backs giving so much room to the the tipp forwards
When the ball was not in that area of the pitch
It would be comical if was not just a simple thing as to
Man marking.
I know they call it zone all defending ! But the Hindenburg would have had enough room to turn .
It's even crept into the football team .
It's easy blame the players but they are playing to a system which is not fit for there abilities.
I don't know what is next but we can't keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result
Maybe we should follow Warwickshire Gaa system
Which is starting to bare fruit especially in the football
Set up .
They have players from a huge area Nottingham all the way to Coventry but from a small pool of players
But chairman board Only regulate the spend not the actually management which is more democratic
Than what we have.
It's just an option

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

Will johny Kelly still be the manager next year ,

He's a good manager but still gave to question what was the plan for carlow in the final

Need to encourage more player's to come into the setup

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Thankfully the debate has moved on and the discussion is now about how we get our county players fit for purpose.
A while back, people would have been chewing about, not playing enough games in Birr, not playing ground hurling, not hitting the ball away quick enough, not sticking to a 6-2-6 formation, needing to ban sweepers.

I suspect that the U20 final and the Tipp game were an eye-opener to some about where other counties are at in terms of preparation teams and how the game is played nowadays.

Some Offaly lads on Twitter previously in denial about cynicism and telling us there was no need for black cards might be revising that opinion also.

As mentioned, we suffer when the player turnover is high. All the time and resources invested into trying to bridge the gap and then we’re back to square one when the player leaves and the process starts again with a replacement that is starting again at base camp.
The players waiting in the wings need to be closer to elite level and their clubs need to getting them up to that standard better.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:03 am Thankfully the debate has moved on and the discussion is now about how we get our county players fit for purpose.
A while back, people would have been chewing about, not playing enough games in Birr, not playing ground hurling, not hitting the ball away quick enough, not sticking to a 6-2-6 formation, needing to ban sweepers.

I suspect that the U20 final and the Tipp game were an eye-opener to some about where other counties are at in terms of preparation teams and how the game is played nowadays.

Some Offaly lads on Twitter previously in denial about cynicism and telling us there was no need for black cards might be revising that opinion also.

As mentioned, we suffer when the player turnover is high. All the time and resources invested into trying to bridge the gap and then we’re back to square one when the player leaves and the process starts again with a replacement that is starting again at base camp.
The players waiting in the wings need to be closer to elite level and their clubs need to getting them up to that standard better.
Well said. The issue really is that there are lots of lads making big decisions in clubs who are not equipped to be making such decisions. Broadly speaking, the level of coaching and training that our senior clubs do is a good bit off what is going on in stronger counties at club senior level. They think that if they throw a 100 or 150 euro at a so called name for a number of training session, that they are covering all bases and the senior team will be well prepared. They couldnt be more wrong..... There are so so many spoofers doing the rounds on club scene commanding ridiculous money, it is laughable, and it isnt just in Offaly. And this sometimes occurs at expense of good locally based coaches who could offer so much more than the 'outside man'. It is a crime against club members that those afforded the job of selecting team managers don't do a better job in identifying these spoofers in many cases. You only need to look at the fall off of some recent county champions to see the impact of such spoofers on club hurling in the county.

If clubs don't get near that bar, often from not even knowing where the bar is or needs to be, then the players have no chance of developing to their potential and therein lies the root of all our problems at county level. Having seen what is happening in some so called senior clubs, it's no wonder we are where we are with Co senior team.

Re turnover, it always came back to players feeling they weren't treated right when it was going on under old regime. Just wondering why so many of the senior panel walked away in last couple of weeks? There were 35 or 36 on panel not all that long ago, and the u20s were called in to make up numbers for training for Tipp match. Is there something amiss or was it all down to injury. Just wonder if the catapulting up of a couple of young guys for Joe Mac final has had a detrimental impact on the mood within the senior squad.
jimbob

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

without gettinng into detail, one has other stuff ongoing outside of sport and apparently opted out himself (or maybe management asked them to maybe step aside until things are sorted out etc., we simply dont know) We have to respect that they stepped away/were asked to step away for their own interests in their current situation, hopefully all that will be sorted by the relevant channels either way and then next year they will be in a position to return. I am sure others had plans possibly to work/travel for a few weeks after the JMCD finished up, and maybe things were booked or promises made which they are now honouring. Maybe some having seen little or no action in JMCD pulled the plug after the final knowing if they didnt get game time during the JMCD group stages, they were never going to get into a matchday squad against Tipperary etc. I seen a few called up from U20's etc. so I asssume the above scenarios possibly played out as opposed to lads getting frustrated and leaving, the latter happens too of course.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

jimbob17 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:57 pm
Bord na Mona man wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:03 am Thankfully the debate has moved on and the discussion is now about how we get our county players fit for purpose.

Well said. The issue really is that there are lots of lads making big decisions in clubs who are not equipped to be making such decisions. Broadly speaking, the level of coaching and training that our senior clubs do is a good bit off what is going on in stronger counties at club senior level. They think that if they throw a 100 or 150 euro at a so called name for a number of training session, that they are covering all bases and the senior team will be well prepared. They couldnt be more wrong..... There are so so many spoofers doing the rounds on club scene commanding ridiculous money, it is laughable, and it isnt just in Offaly. And this sometimes occurs at expense of good locally based coaches who could offer so much more than the 'outside man'. It is a crime against club members that those afforded the job of selecting team managers don't do a better job in identifying these spoofers in many cases. You only need to look at the fall off of some recent county champions to see the impact of such spoofers on club hurling in the county.

If clubs don't get near that bar, often from not even knowing where the bar is or needs to be, then the players have no chance of developing to their potential and therein lies the root of all our problems at county level. Having seen what is happening in some so called senior clubs, it's no wonder we are where we are with Co senior team.

Re turnover, it always came back to players feeling they weren't treated right when it was going on under old regime. Just wondering why so many of the senior panel walked away in last couple of weeks? There were 35 or 36 on panel not all that long ago, and the u20s were called in to make up numbers for training for Tipp match. Is there something amiss or was it all down to injury. Just wonder if the catapulting up of a couple of young guys for Joe Mac final has had a detrimental impact on the mood within the senior squad.
The typical club manager is not thinking of 2 or 3 year timelines. They'll focus on the quickest ways to give them instant results.

For over a decade now Offaly teams have been in perpetual 'a couple of more years needed'. Remember back to when Offaly were taking on McGeeney's Kildare and how the conclusion was how they were a couple of years further down that path. How much has changed since?

This work shouldn't lie at the feet of the county manager, since they regularly come and go. Add to that the lingering suspicion over the years that certain players drop out when county training intensity dials up past neutral.

While there have been several poor underage defeats this millennium, we've also had decent teams too.
The talent of several of these promising players hasn't been harnessed. The next big test is how we deal with developing the current batch of potentially great players we have.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

There's a wholesale culture change needed. Clubs need to be more pro active in the off season with S&C. From u12 to u17 it needs to be taught correctly and maintained throughout a players career. Skill development and s&c at underage development squad level needs to be better and more consistent, done at a higher level with continuous mentor development along with the players development.

Hopefully minor mgt will be sorted quickly this year, it should be as I assume current mgt will continue. Players panel drawn up and training commences bu early October. U20 already sorted for at least next two years.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

End of the year
We set out two targets. got one, missed one.
Tipperary beat us well and it showed our issues.

The thing that stood out to me over the Kerry, Carlow and Tipperary is just how bad we are at reading the game.
Our skill level is ok to good.
This goes back to coaching at underage club level.
We need to do a Brian Lohan in Clare on it and ship out all the coaches that don't proitise Skills basic training in underage.

So what drill can you do to improve the players ablity to read the Game??
“Common sense is not so common.”

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Thankfully Galway dumped a poor Tipperary team out .
Proves how poor we are .
Mind you I do have Galway Kilkenny final as a bet from
The second round of games.
Talked to lots of Offaly lads this week all saying something has got to change .
But will it ?
Enjoy a couple of weeks off before the clubs get
Going
Then the madness begins .
Take care 👍

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I said it last weekend after Tipp hammered us, people in Offaly and in Tipp I was speaking to were considering Tipp as All Ireland contenders after the big win which i didn't think was accurate after beating a poor Offaly side when compared to the likes of Tipp..it was the worst thing could have happened Tipp I thought..I cannot see Galway scoring enough or regular enough to beat Limerick, and shooting wise they were poor today, got away with it today..both teams shooting was shocking at times..
Last edited by Fairplayalways on Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Superhans75 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:59 pm Thankfully Galway dumped a poor Tipperary team out .
Proves how poor we are .
Talked to lots of Offaly lads this week all saying something has got to change .
But will it ?
Going
Take care 👍
something got to change ?

What something is it?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Hasselhoff wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:28 am
Superhans75 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:59 pm Thankfully Galway dumped a poor Tipperary team out .
Proves how poor we are .
But will it ?
Going
Take care 👍
something got to change ?
Get rid of that moron.

What something is it?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

To be honest I've sad it before, what so called bigger counties are doing preparation wise, we are surely doing similar, i do wonder what exactly it is these bigger counties are doing that had them so far ahead of Offaly, the underage is apparently now sorted in Offaly with set up etc.so whats stalling us at senior, we have a very good club champion ship..we can't be doing that much too wrong surely or s it the standards are low so what we think are god hurlers are actually average in other counties eyes..

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Might be doing similar or same with much lesser calibre of player. Can't argue that our crop of 22-33 year olds are on par with likes of Dublin Wexford hurlers. Our minor and u21 results for last 15 years tell us that. The standard of senior club hurling is about level of intermediate in Galway or Kilkenny. Let's be honest. Naas hammered our Co champions last year in Leinster Club. There are some senior club players from some of bigger clubs in county walking around deluded thinking they are good hurlers when they are average at best. Many of the South Offaly clubs were slow to move with the times 10 years ago and the county senior team are now paying price for this. Think they are a bit more forward thinking now but lots to go still for some in terms of their standards of coaching.

I'd be wary of suggesting our underage structures have been sorted. We have produced one good team and one swallow never made a summer. Let's see how competitive our minors are for next 5 years. If we are not competing there, the gap to being genuine competition at Liam McCarthy level will remain.
jimbob

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

jimbob17 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:06 pm Might be doing similar or same with much lesser calibre of player. Can't argue that our crop of 22-33 year olds are on par with likes of Dublin Wexford hurlers. Our minor and u21 results for last 15 years tell us that. The standard of senior club hurling is about level of intermediate in Galway or Kilkenny. Let's be honest. Naas hammered our Co champions last year in Leinster Club. There are some senior club players from some of bigger clubs in county walking around deluded thinking they are good hurlers when they are average at best. Many of the South Offaly clubs were slow to move with the times 10 years ago and the county senior team are now paying price for this. Think they are a bit more forward thinking now but lots to go still for some in terms of their standards of coaching.

I'd be wary of suggesting our underage structures have been sorted. We have produced one good team and one swallow never made a summer. Let's see how competitive our minors are for next 5 years. If we are not competing there, the gap to being genuine competition at Liam McCarthy level will remain.
The standard of our senior championship is about intermediate in Galway or Kilkenny? Are you actually being serious?

That is just a wild statement pulled from thin air that is absolutely incorrect.

Our senior clubs play plenty of challenge games against clubs in Galway, Tipperary, Laois, Kilkenny, Westmeath etc.

I’ve heard of plenty of our clubs beating some of the biggest clubs from Limerick, Tipp etc in the last few weeks.

The problem is where our senior championship may be as high a standard as these others, ours is 8-10 clubs whereas other counties have 15-20 clubs at this level.

Killimor are last year’s Galway intermediate champions. Any Offaly Senior A team would give them a trimming.