Proposed change to age grades at both county and club level

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
NewEra
County player

Re: Proposed change to age grades at both county and club level

Post by NewEra »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:30 pm It beggars belief that Cappincur can claim not to have numbers at Go Games level, when Ballinamere-Durrow (to pick a club with a similar population profile) have a few teams in that age group. One is as much a suburb of Tullamore as the other.
[/quote]

POTH, you have mentioned Cappincur here and elsewhere recently - "County Offaly is in danger of losing balance and toppling over to the east. Cappincur, Durrow, Ballinagar, Ballycommon, Clonbullogue and Bracknagh are enjoying unprecedented success, in terms of participation. "

Cappincur is 4 miles in length with a couple of roads off the main primary. There is no primary school. They currently have 2 players on the St. Vincent's minor teams and another couple on the U15 team. One player came through to the adult team this year - The first player to come of age from St. Vincent's since a trio came through in 2020 - a grand total of 4 players in 4 seasons. An imminent descent through the ranks awaits when the lifecycle of the current team expires - as is the cyclical nature of a rural club.

Ballinamere-Durrow on the other hand is quite a substantial area - They have 2 primary schools, field at every underage level in hurling and football (including Ladies) and have 5 adult teams across both codes.

One could only wish to have the same population profile and unprecedented success in terms of participation of the other.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

del wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:02 am . There may be various reasons why these kids play with these clubs and Tullamore have never went after them and have taken the attitude if they don’t want to play with Tullamore so be it and haven’t objected
Unlike a club in South Offaly currently playing in the 3rd tier championship.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Yes, I did include Cappincur, and I note the points you make. I admit I wouldn’t be overly familiar with the area, but I do recall Cappincur were a driver of St Vincent’s successes of a decade ago, and I find it hard to believe the population of the area would have grown old in the meantime, with relatively few children of Go Games age following on.

Territory does not make hurlers or footballers. It’s one thing being four miles long, but Birr is perhaps four miles long from Dovegrove out to Clonakelly, and travelling four miles north from the Harriers in Tullamore takes in a fair population. Population is the key. On the other hand, Drumcullen has a decent area, but there are feckall houses on the N52 from Birr to Kilcormac, or on the old road from Rath into Birr either (last time I travelled that way).

Neither do schools, necessarily. The school might have 40 pupils, or 500. And you mightn’t necessarily attend primary school in the same parish as you reside and play GAA with.

We’ll know soon enough when the CSO release the most recent Census population figures by Local Electoral Area, and maybe they already have. I just haven’t seen them.
NewEra wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:21 pm
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:30 pm It beggars belief that Cappincur can claim not to have numbers at Go Games level, when Ballinamere-Durrow (to pick a club with a similar population profile) have a few teams in that age group. One is as much a suburb of Tullamore as the other.
POTH, you have mentioned Cappincur here and elsewhere recently - "County Offaly is in danger of losing balance and toppling over to the east. Cappincur, Durrow, Ballinagar, Ballycommon, Clonbullogue and Bracknagh are enjoying unprecedented success, in terms of participation. "

Cappincur is 4 miles in length with a couple of roads off the main primary. There is no primary school. They currently have 2 players on the St. Vincent's minor teams and another couple on the U15 team. One player came through to the adult team this year - The first player to come of age from St. Vincent's since a trio came through in 2020 - a grand total of 4 players in 4 seasons. An imminent descent through the ranks awaits when the lifecycle of the current team expires - as is the cyclical nature of a rural club.

Ballinamere-Durrow on the other hand is quite a substantial area - They have 2 primary schools, field at every underage level in hurling and football (including Ladies) and have 5 adult teams across both codes.

One could only wish to have the same population profile and unprecedented success in terms of participation of the other.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.