Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Re: Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2023

Post by Superhans75 »

Jimbob I'd say Limerick players are not too worried about about throwing another briquette on the fire
( A saying Which is going to disappear)
I think maybe it's time to have a cap on certain expenditure to level the field.
But GPA would not like that .
Realistically the top 10% of players have nothing in common with the rest anymore except when it suits them 🤔.
I had a conversation with a inter county head physio at a wedding ( tongue loosened by the drink ) the money being spent is frightening .
Have a good weekend

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Martin Murphy confirms Offaly football departure.
https://www.midlands103.com/news/sports ... departure/

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Martin I don't think was ever going to be the man to take over full time but fair play to him for his efforts since Liam Kearns passing, he performed the role with great dignity.

It's almost 2 months since Offaly's exit from the Tailteann cup and the club championship is well in motion. Do we know is everything possible being done to get the new management team in place?
Also assume Johnny Kelly will be returning next year.....could they not just announce that and get on with it.
Be nice to see the house in order asap and look forward to next year although I get that it's not always as simple as that.

Superhans75
All Star

Post by Superhans75 »

Newbroom needed in the football anyway .
Hopefully a more youthful aspect to it
Hurling wise it's a poisoned chalice
Kelly I think is massively overated both clubs he managed didn't fair well after look at Portumnas
Decline and bit but more like Birr lite . Now !
Give him another season at least till the end of the league but we could have a big exodus of players
If it has been a horror show .
Just my opinion 🤔🤗

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Johnny Kelly over rated? Won a munster title with borrisleigh, contested two county finals winning one. Borrisleigh be about the 7 or 8th best team in tipperary. Won a couple of under the radar counties with different clubs in galway. With nenagh now, has won back to back north championships.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

bracknaghboy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:04 pm Martin I don't think was ever going to be the man to take over full time but fair play to him for his efforts since Liam Kearns passing, he performed the role with great dignity.

It's almost 2 months since Offaly's exit from the Tailteann cup and the club championship is well in motion. Do we know is everything possible being done to get the new management team in place?
Also assume Johnny Kelly will be returning next year.....could they not just announce that and get on with it.
Be nice to see the house in order asap and look forward to next year although I get that it's not always as simple as that.
Are there any obvious candidates for the football job? I would give Johnny Kelly an extension, it will be a tough league for Offaly hurlers in 2024.

Superhans75
All Star

Post by Superhans75 »

Who ever is going to be in charge of the hurlers
Will get a lot of earache.
We should look at bringing a manager. Like
McConville at Wicklow he is improving them and lads want to play for him ..
Actually saw them play 3 times this year was impressed
With his presence over the team .
Will that type of management work in Offaly ???
Or will it be given a chance .?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

It's Declan Kellys job if he wants it I'd say. Now is his time. The elder lads of his u20 teams would be turning 25 this year.

Did we not realise with previous 'names' on merry go around in other counties that such a solution is rarely the answer. Local manager who knows whats there is needed in my opinion.
jimbob

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

jimbob17 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:52 pm It's Declan Kellys job if he wants it I'd say. Now is his time. The elder lads of his u20 teams would be turning 25 this year.

Did we not realise with previous 'names' on merry go around in other counties that such a solution is rarely the answer. Local manager who knows whats there is needed in my opinion.
Agreed, if he wants it then give it to him and let him start from scratch with a crop of young players. We know what the current team can do, it's a mid table divison 3 team that may or may not win a Leinster Championship game. The worst that can happen from trying out young players is getting relegated to division 4 but the upside is more than worth the risk.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

A strong team / panel could include:

1. Ian Duffy Sean O Toole
2. Declan Hogan PJ Daly
3. Eoin Rigney Kieran Dolan if injury free
4. Lee Pearson u20 full back in final / Nigel Bracken
5. David Dempsey Ciaran Donnelly
6. Peter Cunningham John Furlong.
7. Rory Egan Cian Donohue
8. Ronan McEvoy Cathal Mangan
9. Eoin Carroll (is he back?) Conor McNamee Ed Cullen
10. Jordan Hayes Cathal Flynn Cathal O Donoghue
11. Jamie Evans Cormac Egan
12. Anton Sullivan Morgan Tynan
13. Cian Farrell Shane Tierney
14. Bernard Allen Jack Walshe
15. Rory McNamee Keith O'Neill Jack Bryant

That is what I'd consider at short thought. Prob a few more if in right frame of mind / fit etc ie Kellaghan and Johnson - possibly missing a couple who played this year too.
Have heard Ruairi Allen playing with Gracefield and Jack Walsh going very well with them. These are 2 definitely worth consideration if right. Love to see Peter Cunningham at 11 if Furlong came through injury free to play 6. Younger Cunninghams in Bracknagh worth a look. Prob one or two more from Ferbane I've left out. As a bolter, Ballycommons Conor Dunne should be there if he committed to the football over Rugby. Surely pick up someone in Dublin too with Offaly blood in them.

I'd imagine likes of Nigel Dunne, Niall McNamee might move on.

There is a strong panel there if lads committed. Hopefully Leinster champ this year might whet their appetites.
jimbob

Superhans75
All Star

Post by Superhans75 »

Jimbob all depends on a lot of IFs and buts .
Who will stay around .
I was talking to some young hurlers good ones late teens the other day .
Not one wants to stay in Ireland .
That is the big Problem
It's only going to get worse

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

jimbob17 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:15 pm A strong team / panel could include:

1. Ian Duffy Sean O Toole
2. Declan Hogan PJ Daly
3. Eoin Rigney Kieran Dolan if injury free
4. Lee Pearson u20 full back in final / Nigel Bracken
5. David Dempsey Ciaran Donnelly
6. Peter Cunningham John Furlong.
7. Rory Egan Cian Donohue
8. Ronan McEvoy Cathal Mangan
9. Eoin Carroll (is he back?) Conor McNamee Ed Cullen
10. Jordan Hayes Cathal Flynn Cathal O Donoghue
11. Jamie Evans Cormac Egan
12. Anton Sullivan Morgan Tynan
13. Cian Farrell Shane Tierney
14. Bernard Allen Jack Walshe
15. Rory McNamee Keith O'Neill Jack Bryant

That is what I'd consider at short thought. Prob a few more if in right frame of mind / fit etc ie Kellaghan and Johnson - possibly missing a couple who played this year too.
Have heard Ruairi Allen playing with Gracefield and Jack Walsh going very well with them. These are 2 definitely worth consideration if right. Love to see Peter Cunningham at 11 if Furlong came through injury free to play 6. Younger Cunninghams in Bracknagh worth a look. Prob one or two more from Ferbane I've left out. As a bolter, Ballycommons Conor Dunne should be there if he committed to the football over Rugby. Surely pick up someone in Dublin too with Offaly blood in them.

I'd imagine likes of Nigel Dunne, Niall McNamee might move on.

There is a strong panel there if lads committed. Hopefully Leinster champ this year might whet their appetites.
Sean O'Toole quit sport 18 months ago, shame to see

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Wouldn't think that is correct given he was playing with Shamrocks this year until he got injured.
jimbob

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

jimbob17 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:17 am Wouldn't think that is correct given he was playing with Shamrocks this year until he got injured.
Wasn't aware of that, thanks.

I know he had retired last year and I presumed when not playing in the club championship this year that he was still away.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Declan Kelly coming in?

Any word?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.