2 Daly’s brought back in !

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lea-Bally-man
Junior A

2 Daly’s brought back in !

Post by Lea-Bally-man »

Quote from Hoganstand.com “The Offaly management team have recalled former All Star defender Cathal Daly back into their squad and the expectation within the county is that the man marker is set to be deployed against Wexford’s Mattie Forde in the Leinster SFC semi-final.

Daly, who carved out a reputation as one of the best defenders in modern football, retired from the intercounty scene at the end of last year. However, some brilliant performances with his club have led to him being drafted back into the squad.

Offaly, who have been cleared by the Leinster Council to play against Wexford on July 18, could dramatically include Daly in their starting lineup.

Wexford’s main attacking force in Mattie Forde, who hit 11 points against Meath in their quarter-final win, and Daly has a good track record against the Wexford sharpshooter.

Also added to the Faithful County squad is Mark Daly, who featured in last year’s championship in both midfield and attack.”
BA

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Is everyone convinced that C daly coming back is a good thing?

I know we're short a bit in the backs but i don't think the "let's bring daly back so he can mark mattie forde" argument holds up

also, saw on hoganstand there where he's not really fully back for sure yet

The Biff
All Star

Daly v Forde

Post by The Biff »

I'm not so sure about Cathal's "record" here. Was it himself who started on Matty in the Qualifier game two years ago down in Wexford Park? If I remember correctly, Cathal wasn't fully fit then and Forde lost him all over the park, and scored freely in the first half. Then Cathal was taken off, quite a forlorn figure. In the end, the only way Offaly actually managed to slow Matty's gallop was to curtail his supply lines towards the end of the game, but it was way too late then.

At least we could chuckle that the biggest cheer that day was for the Wexford Hurlers who brought out the Bob O'Keefe Cup during half-time of the Football game. Then many of the Wexford fans fecked off home early in the second half. Their support is definitely less "ecumenical" than ours.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

There are varying stories around about what happened that day. Cathal did get the runaround, but the severity of his injury became a matter of much speculation, to say the least.

I don't like this at all. Nigel Grennan has had two very good games - he has earned the shot at stepping up to a higher level and taking on Forde. Let's not forget either that for the last couple of games Forde has been moved out to centre forward as well - what is your Daly plan then?

I think Chop has earned the shot, and the two Dalys should have been left off, to be fair to panellists that have been around for longer.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

I think bringing them in as long as its a happy camp is a good thing. It'll certainly keep Wexford second guessing who'll start and IF we progress to meet Dublin/Laois it will be good to have the extra options on the bench especially in the backs where there isn't the same depth as the forwards.

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

I see Cathal Daly's return ( if he comes) as a backup role, particularly with all the injuries. Shane Sullivan, Sean Casey and Kevin Lynam are all on the short term injury list.

Daly always had to work very hard on his stamina so I dont think there is any question of Daly being considered for a starting role for at least a couple of months.

I doubt if his return would affect morale either given the above.

Mark Daly if in good form is a plus as we are light on midfield cover.

As Such Ger
County player

Post by As Such Ger »

I dont know if Cathal Daly is back in or not, but the Simple fact about Cathal Daly is that he is still an absolute class act and Offaly will only benefit by having him in the panel. I think the whole "He's been brought back to mark Forde" is a load of nonsense. He is the type of player that gives absolutly everything, so you can be sure that if he is back, its a decision that is has not been taken lightly.

Good move by management, if he is back in. I dont think anybody on the panel could feel too agrieved to make way for him - Pissed off from a personal point of view sure, but there are defenders on the team and panel that are simply not as good, or anywhere near the standard that he is capable of - and regarding the stamina comment - when fully fit (and he is fit at the moment - certainly to play a role).

Talking about a run around or two, I can think of a couple he got in his time, but i can also remember the 95% of games where he has been outstanding.

Really hope he is back as make no bones about it, we will be a better team with him.

The Biff
All Star

Froggie

Post by The Biff »

Dont anyone misinterpret my views on the legendary Froggy. I have nothing but admiration for the man and what he did (and hopefully could still do) for Offaly Football. I only raised a concern because the lead article on top of this thread mentioned "Daly has a good track record against the Wexford sharpshooter" and THAT was the only point I was questioning. In his defence, maybe he has snuffed out Matty in other encounters previous to 2004. In fact, I wouldn't doubt that at all.

As Such Ger
County player

Post by As Such Ger »

I know what your saying Biff. Sur i wouldnt pay any attention to lead headlines from the hoganstand, especially since they get their content from Unison/Independent. Probably written by the tabloid queen himself Colm Keyes

arbarg
County player

Post by arbarg »

Lets be honest, Froggy is a class act and should be in the panel. whether he starts or not is up to muppet killmurray. And Mark Daly always gave it everything when he pulled on the jersey. So havin these two experienced players back in the squad can only benefit us.

Pity Conor evans wasnt back or for that matter "Jesus Christ himself" (Roy Malone).

see ye on the Hill!!!