Order restored

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Muck Savage
All Star

Order restored

Post by Muck Savage »

Good win, Should probably have won by 12 points but a win is a win. There are still a few question marks around the team but Westmeath were really not able to ask them. I really think Offaly were playing in 2nd gear and got dragged down to Westmeaths level very early on and it wasn't until the sending off that they started to play a bit. There's a Leinster in that team but I just don't think the men on the line are going to be able to get it out of them. They did very little wrong today but I'd be afraid on past experiences. Anyway, the Lillys next. Midfield were poor today in the 2nd half.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Offaly will need to improve 100% from that performance to have realistic hopes of winning a very open Leinster title. They probably will improve somewhat for the next day. Whether it is enough to beat Kildare or not, well we will see.

As for the management, I like the 2 man inside gameplan, but Pascal didn't get on the ball enough to really influence the game out around the 40, and I thought Neville, Reynolds and Quinny were all subdued. I'd have made a change out around there.

But the biggest charge I would level against the management team (again!) is inactivity when we are in trouble in a given sector. It was obvious even in the first half that whenever Glennon got the ball he was giving Sullivan fits. Fair enough not to make a move and disrupt the team when we were stretching away in the first half, and Glennon was being starved. But when Westmeath started feeding him early in the second half, and he started running at Sullivan, it was obvious what the outcome was going to be. To leave a lad out there to get ticked, yellowed and finally red carded was just silly in my opinion. Even if they waited for the yellow, it would have been very late to do the move in my opinion. To not do it even AFTER the yellow was borderline criminal.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

It was a good win yesterday, our first championship win in a long time. We all agree that this match should have been finished at half time. Westmeath were a very poor outfit but gave us a few anxious moments in the second half. The sending off of O'Sullivan changed the match in that it woke Offaly up. I agree that O'Sullivan should have been moved before he got yellow. We do need to improve but the sight of a white jersey and with this win under our belts I feel that we should beat the lilies.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

I thought Slattery showed himself to be a good captain and one of our best players yesterday, he covered some amount of ground. McManus was clearly carrying an injury in the second half but did enough and scoring some of those long range frees in Croke Park was good to see. The backs did well, but they faced a Westmeath attack that looked toothless without Dolan.

It wasn't pretty but the result is all that counts at this stage. There's a lot more football in this team and I think we'll see some of that against Kildare. There should be no fear against a Kildare team that may well be without John Doyle.

HairyHole
Intermediate

Result

Post by HairyHole »

It was the result that counted yesterday and nothing else based on the mental scars the majority of this squad have amased over the past 4/5 years of results going against them in Croker. Lot of the team didn't perform yesterday so I reckon any sort of an improved performance should be good enough to see off the Lillies who look to have a good few injury problems themselves. Semi final exist by a point or two at the hands of a very moderate Meath seems likely to me....

borderfox
Junior A

Post by borderfox »

was a brutal game,2 man full forward line is a good idea but deehan missed a few easy scores,as did john reynolds. sullivan should have been move off glennon once he got yellow carded,his lack of pace was exposed but at the same time glennon mit have ran a lot but wat did he score!colm quinn played good and made good use of the ball, improvement needed!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Better to win a poor game than lose a classic. I think Offaly football would have taken a mortal blow had we lost again to Westmeath. I was fairly concerned when they got it back to 3 points.

To be honest, Shane Sullivan getting sent off might have turned the game in our favour.
Otherwise the switch mightn't have been made until too late. The injuries and substitutions afterwards broke Westmeath's momentum. A sending off can be as good a change and given our recent history of not making changes in time, maybe we need a man sent off in every game!

Good work by Deehan and McNamee, though their markers were very poor. It seems that converting "one on one" goal chances are not Deehan's strong point.

Had a bit of a laugh at Connaughton pawing at the sky, like a bear swotting a wasp, trying to stop McManus's goal attempt from going over. Back in 2004 he was reaching over the bar to save Offaly points.

Pity the game wasn't in Tullamore.

far from croghan hill
County player

Post by far from croghan hill »

Lads if we play like that against kildare we'll be anhiliated...kildare possess far more firepower up front than westmeath do, even if they had have had dolan. take for example john doyle, he's in the top five or six forwards in ireland, then tadgh fennin, the o'neill brothers(stars of the u21 team that won last year), earley will pop up to score 1 or 2 and you can be sure that they wond be as bad as westmeath in front of the posts.

there backs are also solid as well, anthony rainbow, mcloughlin, foley and lyons, a few of our scores yesterday came when deehan or mcnamee got a few yards space...doubtful they'll get that in 2weeks time.

not to sound to pessimistic,as mighty mac pointed out in his sunday game interview, to win yesterday was a huge relief as we had not won there since 01. however if you sit back and watch the match, not just the highlights, we were awarded desperate easy frees including the insurance point at the end. make no mistake about it that westmeath team wouldnt have beaten leitrim easy yesterday they were that bad...offaly have some big time improvement to do, but looking at the first game yesterday, we can reach a leinster final..

here's what i thought of the players yesterday:
1-p.kelly...pulled off one magnificent save near the end, but his kickouts throughout were dreadful.i know there was some game plan to it but scuttering 4 balls over the sideline wont do if we're to progress any further

2.ger rafferty- took a heavy bang to the head, maybe this unsettled him as ward emerged to kick three second half points.cant see him handling messrs doyle or fennin

3.sullivan- in trouble from the word go, had gleenon of shot for the posts in the first half shane would have been gone by half time. rightly sent off for cynical fouling, not the answer at full back

4. nigel- playing his first champ game and on a half decent forward in alan mangan, conceeded 2 points but was solid throughout. close to mcnamee for man of the match

5.lynam- looked awkward on the ball that he did get, with keane back cant see him seeing to much action from here on in.

6.scott- solid in the 1st half made some great blocks, quiet in the second half when dragged out of position, needs to improve his passing also.

7.slatts- great 1st half point, needs to loads more of the penatrive runs at the oppoistion.led by example, couldnt be faulted really and kept his head which often lets him down

8.alan mcnamee- solid throughout, starting to carry club form on to the big day

9.Mcmanus- landed some great frees yday, some of which in the pass would have landed at quinns pub. quiet in general play, obviously carrying an injury

10.quinny- kicked 2good frees and 1from play, faded out of the match, surprised he wasnt replaced as he appears not to have the legs for a full game.

11.neville-in and out of the game so often it was realy hard to judge how he played

12.reynolds-pathetic, missed 2 easy scores that your granny would put over and fumbled a cert of a goal. shouldnt have lasted past half time

13. deehan-if offaly had lost yday, he would be much of the cause, scored 3 great points, but i counted 1-3 that he squanderd that were easier than the ones he scored

14.pascal- wasnt happy when he was taken off, i'd play him centre forward and let neville do the the running around the field bit.

15.niall - some super points, missed a great goal chance, dodgy free at the hill end when needed, but had to be man of the match.strong in the air and on the ground

subs- james keane, made a couple of good runs but tried stupid things with them-great he's back though, he's in the slatts mould!

James Rafferty- bit shakey when he came in
Paul mcConway- hadnt a whole lot to do
Trevor Phelan- not on long enough to be rated
James Coughlan-ditto
THERE IT GOES HIGH IN THE ARMS OF WILLE BRYANS!!

Tom
County player

Post by Tom »

I think there is a little bit much critisism of Deehan here so far. He scored a few great points, and what about quinns point, that Deehan stole off connaughton, won it well and laid it off to colm Quinn. I'll admit the two goal chances were poor attempts, but it was poor dwcision making on both counts, not poor play necessarily. His one on one to try and take it round Connaughton was foiled, but 9 times out of ten, the keeper will jump at your feet there at the last solo. Connaughton did well to stay on his feet. The one he gave to Niall, the only problem i see was he played the pass at the wrong time. If he had waited a split second the defender would have had to make a decision. If he went to deehan, then give the pss. If he was indecicive, deehan would have been 3 steps closer to goal, then it may have been time to take a pop. but as i said these were more errors in judgement. A lack of experience. Why was this Thomas Deehans first championship start (excluding qualifiers) he should have started against Westmeath 2 years ago and definitely should have started against Laois last year. It was his first start in Croker, could you blame the lad if he had a few jitters. I think he's the most promising player we have and he seems to be linking up well with Niall which could prove to be a deadly partnership.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I'd agree with Tom on that one.
Deehan was unlucky with the goal chance, but he had no choice but to try and bring it around Lurch in goals, because he was already out on top of him and had the angle closed.
Deehan doesn't let his head drop after missing a chance. That sometimes seems to happen with James Coughlan.
Given that it was only his 2nd ever championship start along with only 2 substitute appearances, I think we should be happy with his performance.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

i'm generally happy overall lads

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I don't think there is much criticism of Tommo to be honest, nor should there be. I thought he had a fine overall game, took some lovely points, worked well with Niall McNamee and contributed an awful lot.

The comments about the goal chances and whatever are more along the lines of 'we need to make sure of them in future', which is true. I also think that Thomas will mature and settle into the team, and take those chances.

Don't forget Niall Mc should probably have given Tommo the pass back in that situation where Deehan gave it to him too early without committing John Keane. If Niall had passed it straight back then Deehan would have had a tap in and we'd not even be mentioning this today.

Kevin
All Star

Deehan

Post by Kevin »

Looks like he can be a game breaker. I think future opposition will view him likewise and plan accordingly.

The other end of the field is the concern.

I felt badly for Sullivan. He should have been called ashore in fairness to ... everyone involved (himself included). The only reason to leave someone on in that situation is if there is NO other alternative through switching or subs.

The questions for those who know a lot more than me is - is that the case? I know we've lost a bunch of fullbacks over the year...

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

I think that Tommo did fairly well on Sunday. A goal might've helped the confidence perhaps for the next day but as was said he doesn't tend to drop the head. He had a good game in Tralee in the lge too.

I've no doubt that everyone will look to up thier game the next day. Deehan looks like he could be the kind of forward that teams will be watching out for in future games. Thats a great thing for us because Niall will take plenty of watching too. If you have two forwards like this on their game gaps will appear in any defence.

Improvement required at the back alright but the game in Croke Park should bring this least experienced sector of the team on a lot.

The Biff
All Star

Deehan & Co.

Post by The Biff »

I too think Thomas Deehan should look back on this game with a smile. To me, his goal chance seemed lost because he seemed reluctant to hit it with his right foot. Connaughton deserves most of the credit as he advanced very quickly and forced Thomas to try to go around him and then to lose control. The fact that he managed a shot on target at all was a good effort.

Niall Mc's attempt just scraped the post, so he was out by just a couple of degrees in his angle of trajectory. The two boys deserve much credit for their overall workrate. Overall, I admire the team for not panicing when the margin got down to just 3 points and a man down. That stage had "collapse" written all over it, but it didn't happen. For that, we should just be grateful, positive and upbeat for getting that "monkey of our backs" (and I dont mean Paidi O'Se). :wink: