Fixtures Problem

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
redser
County player

Fixtures Problem

Post by redser »

The dual clubs are suffering because of the fixtures. Just look at the fixtures leading up to last weekends senior hurling championship. All the dual clubs were playing senior football championship.

Therefore they would only be getting in some light hurling in the last week whereas the solely hurling clubs would be flat out hurling 3 nights a week.

My opinion is that unless the fixtures schedules are planned right, the county will never see the best of these clubs where no matter what football will always get first preference and hurling will only get limited training time.

Im amazed that these clubs cpompete as well as they do most of the time against the solely hurling areas.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Without question it is an issue, but the county board is finding it hard enough to fit in fixtures as it is, without having to leave two weeks between games for Shamrocks, Tullamore, Rynaghs, Clara and Ferbane/Belmont, or almost half the teams in the senior football championship. It is a disadvantage, but I don't really know what they can do, short of trying to arrange fixtures so that teams are in the same predicament, like was the case with Rynaghs vs Tullamore. Possibly Belmont should have played Clara this week instead of Lusmagh?

As an aside, I'd be interested to know - how many of these clubs train the two panels together throughout the winter when the fitness work is being done? Obviously you can't do ball work together, but doing the two nights a week in Dec-Jan-Feb, surely one panel will do the job for both? Do any clubs do this?

Treasurer
All Star

Fixtures

Post by Treasurer »

It's a massive problem and not just for dual clubs - take hurling clubs that were out at the weekend, only had their county players released the previous Monday evening. Four days to get your full team together is hardly ideal.

There are no easy answers though, when you sit down and actually look at the amount of intercounty games that they have to try and avoid, it's far from straightforward. And when there's going to be a gap anyway, they can't play any more than two rounds before the gap, or championship could be over for some and impossible to keep going after the break.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I go back to what I said last year - All Ireland semis at the end of July, coinciding with the start of club season across Ireland. Makes sense on countless levels.

Kevin
All Star

Compress the Championship

Post by Kevin »

One way to move it along is:

No draws - hence no more replays.

Replays are a drain on...everybody.

We already have a backdoor as it is.

The schedule makers (without having to make allotments for replays) can then compress the Intercounty Championship Schedule without worry.

Draws are sometimes a fair outcome, but they are like dinosaurs and they are in a number of cases 'engineered. It is time to move on.