Offaly Hurling Panel 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling Panel 2015

Post by townman »

we will struggle in 2016 as well sam88885a yes we have problems in number 3,6,11, also 2, and 4, in my opinion, but lads naming players just for sake of it because Sid doesn't have them in, if the lad asked them in and they don't go what can he do. i was talking to a man at sundays game in mullingar his from the football area we would say he was telling me that 4 or 5 lads were called up to pat flangans squad from a certain club and not one of them turn up so what do you do, there will be lads on saying where is this player where is that player after a few football games but sure if they don't go in what can a manger do. yes Sid has a huge task and who comes after him will also have one even god himself Cody would have a job with the talent their is to work with in offaly at the moment, don't let K/K good run in leinster fool you we are miles behind other teams even in underage laois have over took us the last few years we will have to get that right first.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

townman
i dont agree things are not as bad as that .
apart from the last 80s offaly hurling has never done well at underage
if we had the best players full commited and on the panel. we would be a bit ahead of laois i think .
we have lads like b carroll j bergin s dooley d currams d morkam that if they hurl to their porental have real class .
i think b whelahan really need g healion and c mahon d kilmartain too so he can build a team around them .
we need there power otherwise we will get walked over .
what is so frustrating that if offaly had those 8 lads fit and hurling to their potental there are enough good u 25 club lad to make a decent team.
certainly enough to avoid relagation and make the leinster semi final next year .

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

I think it's easy to point the finger at Sid & say he's the reason that these lads are dropping off the panel but since most Offaly people wouldn't go out and watch the offaly hurlers if they playing on their front lawn why would you be wasting your time training for the year!!
The other thing that probably has had a bigger impact on players decision to walk away is the couple of huge beatings that they took in both challenge games & championship...people think players shake that off the next night at training, you don't, beatings like that do untold damage to the mindset of players & without the right man their to pull the players together & start to put things right, players just lose interest & walk away from the panel at the first opportunity.
I think irrespective of who came in as Offaly manager players would have walked away this year, we're so far behind the big teams that there's nothing to motivate the players to come back!!
The Untouchable

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

the Untouchable wrote:I think it's easy to point the finger at Sid & say he's the reason that these lads are dropping off the panel but since most Offaly people wouldn't go out and watch the offaly hurlers if they playing on their front lawn why would you be wasting your time training for the year!!
The other thing that probably has had a bigger impact on players decision to walk away is the couple of huge beatings that they took in both challenge games & championship...people think players shake that off the next night at training, you don't, beatings like that do untold damage to the mindset of players & without the right man their to pull the players together & start to put things right, players just lose interest & walk away from the panel at the first opportunity.
I think irrespective of who came in as Offaly manager players would have walked away this year, we're so far behind the big teams that there's nothing to motivate the players to come back!!
Yes it is easy to blame him cos he's the problem, 20+ lads won't commit to the county because he's the manager simple as that. Inter county hurling is a huge commitment and lads aren't going to give up their time when the know it's a waste of time. It's a joke at the moment and the county board have shown complete disregard in improving our fortunes for the future. Offaly could play their league games in cappincur or ballycommon this year, both facilities would be well able to cater for the crowd. I reckon there was more offaly support at the kk match last Sunday than will go to see offaly next year. Offaly supporters are crying out for a team to support. The damage that has been done by this management is colossal and it's going to take a lot of work to repair, another wasted year awaits us.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

townman wrote:i think people are getting carried away with themselfs with the players who are not going in to hurl with the county, i am a birrman and i am not sticking up for Sid yes some of his ideas were mad last year lets look back on old threads eveyone said we were going backwards under Ollie Baker and i remember lads giving out shit about Joe Dooleys term over offaly which i think he done the best job of the lot of them.
While i agree with what your saying. yourself and myself have a right good go at Baker for some real bad decisions when he managed Offaly. The underline Question Why Dooley, Baker and Whelehan are making these decisions. The answer is simple that the county board appointed inexperience managers.
Everyone when they learning a new skill will make mistake. that life.
The idea of a new truck driver turn up on his 1st day driving and be told to reverse an 18 wheeler into a shed. Its a bad idea because he has developed the skills need to do the job.
It the same problem the last 3 Offaly manager have had. They be ask to do something when there management skill are not developed.
We need a course where manager (not coaches) are brought in the the management skill are developed.
townman wrote:Hanniffy and Brady call time on their county days arightly so Kevin Brady can give 100 per cent but his days are number as to were Rory Hanniffys the games against kilkenny and tipp showed as much. lets be fair Ger Healion is the best fullback in the county but do lads think if he was fullback this year again kilkenny the result would have been different, i hear lads looking for Danny Kelligher would he hurl Mick Fennelly or Richie Power out of the game at centre back. i think lads would want to get real and see it as in is, yes k/k are doing well in leinster but that will mean nothing at inter county level
lads looking for Aidan Tracey to be on the team he didn't get a puck of it in the county final and lads want him to hurl again the likes of Richie Hogan.
Every players day are numbered.

If Healion was full back thing could have been any worst??

at least Healion could walk and them we had Hannify for a position out the field. the idea that Kelleaher couldn't hurl Fennelly. So you saying that Morkan Did a good job marking Fennelly?? Could Kelleher have done much worse??
Well Fennelly wouldn't have ran over Kellehar he have to go around him and we could have player morkan in his best position.
Tracey didn't get a puck in the county final. Joe Canning didn't get a puck of the ball in the All ireland replay two years ago. Brian Carroll did't get a puck of the ball in the All ireland Club final. Hanniffy didn't get a puck of a ball in last year county final. none of that make any of them bad hurlers. Tracey ran the Belmont and Clareen games and Clareen midfield destroy Birr and out hurler the Coolderry midfield early in the year.
Tracey has the potential to be any excellent hurler. So yeah give him a chance and see if he can improve and out hurl Hogan. I believe he has the potential to hold his own and a lot more against anyone in the country.
i think myself Sid was mad to go near it, as there has been a core of players in with offaly this last 10 years who lay all the blame at the mangers door, yes Sid will be gone after this year who will it be in 2016 if its Danny Owens it won't be long till he gets it in the neck, i rememer him over the offaly minors and he got alot of abuse them times too. as someone has already said there are plenty of players didn't like who was over them but they still hurl for there county. i know for a fact there has been about 10 hurlers down the years who don't like Brian Cody but still hurling for there county what matter, it would answer some offaly hurlers if they done the same.
Every manager get it in the neck. Cody had Some Kilkenny fan call for his head last year. If you can't handy it don't be a manager. Owens when he was minor manager he wasn't great but he has improved. learned the Skills he need to handle players and got a team around him to bring on the players at his disposable. That why people talk so highly of Dunne and Co.
The point is Whelehan didn't make any progress with Camross. they went backwards. The same happen with Kiltomer.
Owens would get in the neck if he was Offaly manager but you know Cody would get in the neck if he was Offaly manager as well. that the life of a manager.
The difference is that Cody and Owens would have a track record of improve teams to fall back on. That something Whelehan Doesn't have.
I don't agree with this. Offaly Hurlers are a proud bunch of lads. Last year real hurt them. Some won't return cause they don't want to face a year of training and abuse. only to be given no chance by bad and mad team selection by a management team not at the level they should be.

Whelehan at the moment is a bad Club manager with the potential to improve. He shouldn't be managing an inter county team when he hasn't show at an level that he can manage and improve a club team.

Its easy to blame him. yeah it is. Because he is part of the problem. The problem is that we are not given potential Manager the chance to develop their manager skill in the correct way.
Manager that improve there skills are been overlook for the mistake they made when they were learning the job for lads that have never fail within the county cause they never managed within the county.

You talk about 4 Lads from a club not turn up to train with the Footballers. its Disappointing but shows the long term damage a bad manager can do to a county. where players carry a dislike of the county set up for one management into another.
The point been how much damage has last year lack of management skills done to Offaly hurling for the next 10 years and how much will 2015 do if Whelehan and his team are left in charge.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

t ox i heard p flannagan talk about those 3 players and he as much as said it was bad managment by e mc donald and that these 3 guys were very hurt and are still hurt by what happened . that the reason why he counld not get them back

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Excellent reply Toxicity234. I have to fully agree with you with everything you said ther.

Whelan just has done so much damage with inexperience and to be honest Offaly County Bard have not helped him out in any such way. They have put him on a diving board with a pool full of great whites.
We need an experienced man @ inter county level and let him have 3 or 4 years at the helm. But @ the end of the day you pay peanuts and you get monkeys! Its all about the Johnny Cash these days with inter county management.

I look forward to what we can achieve in 2015. If there is any positive maybe we can turn a 6 or a 7 of hearts into an Ace! No reason why the likes of the younger guys like Nolan,Wynne, Kiely, Gearthethys, Quirke and especially Paddy Murphy shouldn't get a big chance this year.

I actually think we might have a stronger 15 not playing inter county this year than the one that is. The likes of:

1. Gary Hutchinson
2. David Magner
3. Ger Healion
4. Daniel Doughan
5. Kevin Grogan
6. Dan Kelliher
7. Brian Leonard
8. Damien Kilmartin
9. Con Mahon
10 Aidan Treacy
11 Conor Mahon
12 Del Morkan
13 Nigel Dunne
14 David Kenny
15 Eoin Ryan
16 Sean Gardiner
17 Gerry Spollen
18 Paddy Kelly
19 Sean Coughlan
20 Conor Doughan
21 Cirain Slevin
22 Gary Connelly
23 Mark Egan

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

allstar2010 wrote:
the Untouchable wrote:I think it's easy to point the finger at Sid & say he's the reason that these lads are dropping off the panel but since most Offaly people wouldn't go out and watch the offaly hurlers if they playing on their front lawn why would you be wasting your time training for the year!!
Yes it is easy to blame him cos he's the problem, 20+ lads won't commit to the county because he's the manager simple as that. Inter county hurling is a huge commitment and lads aren't going to give up their time when the know it's a waste of time. It's a joke at the moment and the county board have shown complete disregard in improving our fortunes for the future. Offaly could play their league games in cappincur or ballycommon this year, both facilities would be well able to cater for the crowd. I reckon there was more offaly support at the kk match last Sunday than will go to see offaly next year. Offaly supporters are crying out for a team to support. The damage that has been done by this management is colossal and it's going to take a lot of work to repair, another wasted year awaits us.[/quote

there has been no support this 6 years for offaly hurling allstar2010 you could play games the last 3 years in geashill as i have said before, i'd suppose we would win the all ireland with the 20 players that you say won't commit alot of them have been in and are not good enough and weren't at underage either lets call a spade a spade.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

[quote="kaiserchief"]Excellent reply Toxicity234. I have to fully agree with you with everything you said ther.

Whelan just has done so much damage with inexperience and to be honest Offaly County Bard have not helped him out in any such way. They have put him on a diving board with a pool full of great whites.
We need an experienced man @ inter county level and let him have 3 or 4 years at the helm. But @ the end of the day you pay peanuts and you get monkeys! Its all about the Johnny Cash these days with inter county management.

I look forward to what we can achieve in 2015. If there is any positive maybe we can turn a 6 or a 7 of hearts into an Ace! No reason why the likes of the younger guys like Nolan,Wynne, Kiely, Gearthethys, Quirke and especially Paddy Murphy shouldn't get a big chance this year.

I actually think we might have a stronger 15 not playing inter county this year than the one that is. The likes of:

1. Gary Hutchinson
2. David Magner
3. Ger Healion
4. Daniel Doughan
5. Kevin Grogan
6. Dan Kelliher
7. Brian Leonard
8. Damien Kilmartin
9. Con Mahon
10 Aidan Treacy
11 Conor Mahon
12 Del Morkan
13 Nigel Dunne
14 David Kenny
15 Eoin Ryan
16 Sean Gardiner
17 Gerry Spollen
18 Paddy Kelly
19 Sean Coughlan
20 Conor Doughan
21 Cirain Slevin
22 Gary Connelly
23 Mark Egan[/quote

there are alot on that list who were in over the last few years and weren't up to it, you might have a point in them beating the offaly squad that was picked last week, but thats the only team they would beat. my point in all this who's not in and who's in, its not like we have 7 or 8 players that are not in with the county and that are top class hurlers and would get on most county teams in the country, a good few of the names above were try before a few didn't cut in at underage either won't name them but lads who have watch offaly underage this 10 year or more knows what i am talking about.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

townman some guys develope later . u seen to think if a guy does not set the world alight at u 16 and minor he is useless .
k martain and k kinahan would not have made it using ur logic . how many full backs and wing back were ahead of them at minor ???

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

no but there seems to be alot of lads thinking that there are top class hurlers in offaly that won't hurl for whelehan or their county for that matter

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

lads i think Brian Whelehan should get some bit of respect here, toixcity and a few more are just coming on here just to write rubbish about Whelehan, look the man done more for offaly hurling than anyone has and club, i bet the same lads were licking his hole in the 90's. he took on the job when we were at our lowest, why didn't the great micheal duingian take it, Johnny Dooley.

lads saying we should have got a better manger in, theirs not a manger worth his salt that would go near offaly hurling theses times, Whelehan took it as no one else would lets rember he was in for the minor job but end up with the senior job, Ken Hogan none of them want it, i'd say Danny Owens will be the next man in charge and as a good offalyman like whelehan he won't turn his county down, lads would want to remember this, Brian Whelehan could get on the TV write about it most sundays and do what most of the greats of the 80's and 90's have done and washed their hands with offaly hurling.

so lets give one of the best hurlers this county has seen a bit of respect lads, just remember most writing shit here about Brian Whelehan wouldn't know one end of a hurl from the other :oops:

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

I have huge respect for Whelehan as a hurler and a man.

You know what i sick of been accused of not respecting whelehan.

So Townman. Go back and see where i personały insulted or said anything about Whelahan that hasn't been realiton to his inexperance as a manager.
Go back and find how many time i said we need to bring through our players , coaches and Mangers in a way that give when the best chance to succeed.

Townman you just wanted me and everyone else on this site to come in here and say that we don't the hurlers.
That the hurlers that are in the county at the moment are shit. I won't do that.
It any insult to the hurler in the county and to the hurl that are coming through the clubs at the moment.
you want us to say that no matter how good a manager Whelehan is. It mostly the player fault that they falling short. Sorry it not going to happen.

Whelehan has been trowing into the deep end and this job could destory his managment careers. Now that would be a insult to such a great hurler. to have his Managament careers destory before it even started.
“Common sense is not so common.”

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

townman wrote:lads i think Brian Whelehan should get some bit of respect here, toixcity and a few more are just coming on here just to write rubbish about Whelehan, look the man done more for offaly hurling than anyone has and club, i bet the same lads were licking his hole in the 90's. he took on the job when we were at our lowest, why didn't the great micheal duingian take it, Johnny Dooley.

lads saying we should have got a better manger in, theirs not a manger worth his salt that would go near offaly hurling theses times, Whelehan took it as no one else would lets rember he was in for the minor job but end up with the senior job, Ken Hogan none of them want it, i'd say Danny Owens will be the next man in charge and as a good offalyman like whelehan he won't turn his county down, lads would want to remember this, Brian Whelehan could get on the TV write about it most sundays and do what most of the greats of the 80's and 90's have done and washed their hands with offaly hurling.

so lets give one of the best hurlers this county has seen a bit of respect lads, just remember most writing shit here about Brian Whelehan wouldn't know one end of a hurl from the other :oops:
So the fact that Brian Whelahan was the greatest hurler offaly ever produced he's exempt from criticism of his failings as a manager?? I don't think anyone here is going over the top, anyone that writes here does because they are passionate about offaly hurling and are frustrated by the failings of the county board to put in place a management structure that can develop our players to a good level of competitiveness.

Great players don't make great managers and maybe a lot of those ex players knew they hadn't the qualities to mange at inter county level. County board needed to go and find a qualified manager, they didn't do that and haven't done that for years and therein lies the problem. I don't think we should be saying ah fair play Brian for taking the job, he's failed at club level was that not enough?

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

townman
lets deal with the fact 2012 offaly showed some promise .
a decent preformance by offalys u 21 against kilkenny
good show against kilkenny in senior loosing by 6 points and should have beaten waterford who took kilkenny to extra time in the next round .
kk won leinster club title in 2012 and should have won the club all ireland .
coolderry had won lenster club in 2011 and had got to the club all ireland .

how can u say b whelahan took over offaly when we were at our lowest .

d owens wanted the job but somehow b whelahan got the job without looking for it because m duignan pulled out at the last minute . do u belive that? i dont
d owens was never interviewed .
why? because it was always b whelahan job .

like g healion it was insulting to d owens and this club .

b whelahan was a great hurler but offaly are now at a new low since he became manager that no disrespect to him it a fact .
. townman i understand ur loyalty to sid but u are blind if u think he is a manager .

there may not be hurlers in offaly like b whelahan was at the moment but the hurlers we have are much better than the 26 point hammering that offaly got in 2014 .

u show some respect to the present generation of hurlers there our future