Offaly Hurling Panel 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: Offaly Hurling Panel 2015

Post by sam88885a »

from what i hear there are a number of kk players who would love to hurl for offaly but not under current managment and current set up .

tmorelad
Junior B

Post by tmorelad »

timber wrote:
kingscounty wrote:
kaiserchief wrote:Town man- no KK man in your team? Why? Kiely is well able for senior level I think.

Who are the KK and Shamrocks lads to join the squad?

What happened with Del last year should be forgotten about. Bring him in and if he or anyone else for that steps out of line, then let them go. I still think him and Kenny will have a part to play when it comes to championship. Also Treacy & Kelleher not been asked in is a disgrace.

I am delighted to see the likes of Paddy Murphy and Gareth Mann getting a chance. But their are also other lads being left out who should be getting the same chance.
The Shamrocks lads for me that would be worth a look would be Nigel Dunne and O " Toole and they have one or two good backs too number 7 whos name I cant think of had a great county final .
I think the one player from the intermediate champions that would be worth calling in is Jimmy Conway. It was his first year back hurling in a few seasons and he certainly would be worth getting into the panel and few months county training would bring him on. He has plenty of hurling. And the county is short on full backs. Worth giving him a go anyway and see how he progresses. Other than him, I am not sure really if anybody else
i would have thought Nigel Dunne and Paddy Kelly and Gary hutchinson from shamrocks would have been worth looking at also id have Ger Tracey in and Alan martin

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Of those named yes hutchinson should get a call for the u21s alright. Has potential to be an excellent goalkeeper.

Shes no relation
Junior C
Club: Durrow

Post by Shes no relation »

O'Toole and Kelly from Shamrocks from what I heard were provisionally asked to join set up later on. No quibbles there. Alan Martin is a good corner back but he's the wrong side of 30 lad. Gift used up all his brownie points getting 4 lads on it as it is. If anyone else was to be considered it would be Shane Kelly, on his day he ranks higher than Mann or Houlihan. Ive Seen Tullamore hurl the past 2 years In my opinion those two lads never stood out to be county standard and they wouldnt lace Spollen or Magners (Ballinamere) boots either.

I think Del Morkan will be a colossal loss to the squad. Best hurler in Shinrone and brilliant for Offaly since he came on the scene. We cannot afford to be loosing players of his calibre in this County. Now that Rory Hanniffy has retired can anyone tell me who is good enough to fill his position for next year. We could have done with Dels experience in the back line.

After Dempsey its a throw up between Clancy and Slevin for sub goalie.
Big men needed to be tried and tested in both central positions in the back line.
Whatever happened to Eanna Murphy from Clareen, Only a few years back he was touted to be the next big thing at underage. I think in the future the likes of Cillian Kiely would be a potential Centre back. Doughan is another option and Kelliher if he got fit and Shortt for full back would be options. They must be given time and though to experience and learn from playing in these roles.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

agree totally d morkam is an even bigger loss now with r hanniffy k brady and probally d kenny retiring . we losing huge experence and if g healion does not come back we are starting for scratch in defence .

bad managment last year when e murphy e nolan d shortt d kelliher p camon s gardner s coughlan c doughan d king needed to be looked at blooded and developed .
b whelahan managed to lose all but e nolan during the year .
i hope c kiely does not come into the senior team this year he is 18 he has 3 years u21 yet he be burnt out by mid twenties .
d kelliher reminds me of g healion in his early 20s ,most people said he was too slow not fit enough , he has proved them wrong . pity he was given a chance in his early 20s ,hope the same does not happen to d kelliher .
i think d kelliher could make a great centre back ,he bring real power to the middle .
a team built around big lads like
1 j demsey

3 g healion[d short]

6 d kelliher

8 e murphy

11 c mahon

14 j bergin

15 d currams

hurleyman
Junior B

Post by hurleyman »

From what I have heard there was 7 KK lads asked into the set up, Ger Healion, Con Mahon, Conor Mahon Cillian Kiely and 2 Geraghtys and Dan Currams. 3 of them have declained Ger, Con and Conor mahon are going travelling next year

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

hurleyman wrote:From what I have heard there was 7 KK lads asked into the set up, Ger Healion, Con Mahon, Conor Mahon Cillian Kiely and 2 Geraghtys and Dan Currams. 3 of them have declained Ger, Con and Conor mahon are going travelling next year
The absence of Damien Kilmartin from that list is a pity, but it's no surprise sadly. That's a real shame about Conor Mahon in particular - he'll be very hard to replace.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

offaly hurlers have voted with their feet because of b whelahan reappointment .
how small will the offaly panel when the league is over .
there is not that much wrong with offaly hurling but there is a lot wrong with the county board and their friends in team managment.
offaly look like they will be without all these guys for 2015
con mahon
g healion
s gardner
s coughlan
d kelliher
c doughan
a tracy
d kilmartain
c slevin
c mahon
d morkam
e ryan
g connelly
m egan
r hannify
d kenny
k brady
that list will get bigger after the league
i honestly think no matter what team b whelahan put together out of his current panel would beat they panel of player not involved .
is it any wonder offaly are getting hammered .
mad stuff.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Jesus.
We're heading to the Christy Ring cup.

Only two players on the panel for the most important positions. Full Back and Centre Back.

Healion lost is as big as losing Hanniffy and Brady because he the best full back in the county. Sad to think he has only played Full back 3 times for Offaly and it took 33 games before he played full back. Shows what the problem in Offaly real are.
Peter has only played Centre Back once for the county.
Kilmartin is a huge lost he the best midfielder in the county. has only played 2 time in midfield for Offaly.
Tracey is a huge lost he the second best midfielder in the county.
Morkan is a huge lost he the best wing back in the county.
Mahon a huge lost he the best centre forward in the county.

No player that played Centre Back or Full back for Offaly in the league and Championship last year will be playing for Offaly next year. That is unbelievable.

Kiely only a young lad and should be no where near the Senior panel, He still playing minor. Emmet Nolan was last year was too young to be playing inter county hurling. These are good hurlers but having lads just out of minor and going into the senior team is putting these lads and The future of Offaly hurling at risk. Let them develop at U21 level and then bring them in when they really.

Disappointing that Whelehan has done so much damage to Offaly hurling in such a short time. Hurlers that have been with and commented to Offaly for years are leaving the panel.
“Common sense is not so common.”

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

offaly hurlers have voted with their feet because of b whelahan reappointment .

I cant agree. Lads that chose not to play for the county are just showing off to everybody their values & value. And some people just cant stand having a Birr manager or are they still trying to get rid of his Dad......

This thread started with a load of rubbisb about 52 players & Mullins,,,,,,,,,,, I note that when it became clear that it was rubbish the perpetrator(s) did not have the good grace to admit it and move on.........

Players have often disliked managers, I know I did (at my own low level) but they are not playing for a manager. They wanna play for Offaly or they dont........ So some dont,,,,,,, whats new.......... Let them go play their tiddlywinks and let those who are Offaly Hurlers get on with it without the continual whining in the background.......

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

ryot
ur talking rubbish ,
i dont have a problem with a birr guy manageing offaly if their up to the job .
its normal that some lads just dont get on with managment .
that fine but when 5o% of the avable player have a problem , then its time to look at the manager .

b whelahan was one of the greatest hurlers of all time but he is a terrible manager .
look at his record as manager and point out one team he improved .
most managers make a big impact in there first year , players buy into the new system but players clearly never bought into b whelahan as manager last year even b whelahan golden boy b carroll was critical of the system .

the county board and local media are too blame also .
they all see to be in awe of b whelahan and no one questions where he is bringing offaly hurling .

look no one is bigger than offaly hurling and if 20 plus players refuse to join the panel while he is manager offaly are in huge trouble.
we lost by 26 points to kilkenny last year and we had r hannify d morkam and c mahon .
we simply can do without everyone

if offaly preform to 2014 levels in 2015 we will get relagated .

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

Ryot

You are missing the point. .....the lads DO want to play for Offaly, but not when there is a manager who is blatantly out of his depth. This has nothing whatsoever to do with Padjo. ...

the current manager was probably one of the very best players i have ever seen......but that does not guarantee that he will ever make a good manager.....the county is now in dire straits when it comes to picking the best group of players to represent us in the 2015 League and Championship.....and this is primarily because many of the best players will not play for a manager wwho they feel is going to add value to the set up. If it were one or two who were voting with their feet I would say it us just one of those things. ...when, however, it is 20 or more of the best hurlers in the county then there is an obvious problem. A problem that both the manager and the County Board ssurely recognise but choose to do little or nothing about it.....if the manager and the county board were truly interested in the development of the county hurling team then, I imagine, something might be done about it. Surely the county board chairman would spend an hour with the disaffected players to understand where the issues are!!!!

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Sam888

U have talked a load of rubbish over the last few weeks without any basis for a lot of it,,,,,,,,,,

For me its simple,,,,, those lads either want to play in which case who might be manager makes no difference or they dont want to play and find a handy excuse,,,,,,,,,,

Some lads never want to play County for various reasons, they dont want to give the committment, they prefer to play a bit of club & have a few pints at week-ends, they regard the training as too hard ( ala Mr Smith), they are going J1 (Pat Camon last year) and thats fine but trying to portay some of them as the best around is silly and as for the reference to the "golden boy" well he was rubbish for a few years but was our best by far in 2014 so well done to whoever turned him around,,, Might it have been Brian ?????

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i think people are getting carried away with themselfs with the players who are not going in to hurl with the county, i am a birrman and i am not sticking up for Sid yes some of his ideas were mad last year lets look back on old threads eveyone said we were going backwards under Ollie Baker and i remember lads giving out shit about Joe Dooleys term over offaly which i think he done the best job of the lot of them.

Hanniffy and Brady call time on their county days arightly so Kevin Brady can give 100 per cent but his days are number as to were Rory Hanniffys the games against kilkenny and tipp showed as much. lets be fair Ger Healion is the best fullback in the county but do lads think if he was fullback this year again kilkenny the result would have been different, i hear lads looking for Danny Kelligher would he hurl Mick Fennelly or Richie Power out of the game at centre back. i think lads would want to get real and see it as in is, yes k/k are doing well in leinster but that will mean nothing at inter county level
lads looking for Aidan Tracey to be on the team he didn't get a puck of it in the county final and lads want him to hurl again the likes of Richie Hogan.

i think myself Sid was mad to go near it, as there has been a core of players in with offaly this last 10 years who lay all the blame at the mangers door, yes Sid will be gone after this year who will it be in 2016 if its Danny Owens it won't be long till he gets it in the neck, i rememer him over the offaly minors and he got alot of abuse them times too. as someone has already said there are plenty of players didn't like who was over them but they still hurl for there county. i know for a fact there has been about 10 hurlers down the years who don't like Brian Cody but still hurling for there county what matter, it would answer some offaly hurlers if they done the same.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

i agree sid task was huge but he made it bigger by loosing so many players .
rory k brady and d kenny owe offaly notting .
what scares me is looking at the current panel.
who is going to be fullback and centre back and if c mahon is gone too who will play centre forward .???
thing could be a lot worse this year .
that what every efford needs to be made to get those other guys back now .
offaly will still strugglle in 2015