Offaly Hurling Panel 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Re: Offaly Hurling Panel 2015

Post by Buttons »

http://www.midlandsradio.fm/news/offaly ... ning-panel

Ballinamere's Paddy Murphy, Birr's Brendan Murphy and Colm Mulrooney, Seir Kieran's Adrian Hynes, St Rynagh's Joseph O’Connor, Kinnitty's Shane Kinsella and Kevin O'Connor and Tullamore duo Gareth Mann and Niall Houlihan have joined the Offaly hurling panel.

Joseph O'Connor, a senior footballer with the Faithful County, was part of last year’s Under 21 team along with Colm Mulrooney and Kevin O'Connor.

The 36 man training group, which does not include players from county champions Kilcormac Killoughey, began their preparations for the coming year at AIT last weekend.

Five players that were involved in the Qualifier loss to Tipperary last summer - David Kenny, Rory Hanniffy, Kevin Brady, Eoin Ryan and Mark Egan - are not currently part of the panel.

Offaly training panel

Paddy Murphy (Ballinamere)

Colin Egan (Belmont)

Sean Ryan (Birr)

Brendan Murphy (Birr)

Emmet Nolan (Birr)

Colm Mulrooney (Birr)

Chris McDonald (Brosna Gaels)

Brian Carroll (Coolderry)

Cathal Parlon (Coolderry)

Kevin Connolly (Coolderry)

David King (Coolderry)

James Dempsey (Kinnitty)

Kevin O’Connor (Kinnitty)

Shane Kinsella (Kinnitty)

James Rigney (Kinnitty)

Joe Bergin (Seir Kieran)

Adrian Hynes (Seir Kieran)

Brian Mulrooney (Seir Kieran)

James Mulrooney (Seir Kieran)

Eanna Murphy (Seir Kieran)

Dermot Mooney (Seir Kieran)

Stephen Quirke (St Rynaghs)

Stephen Wynne (St Rynaghs)

Niall Wynne (St Rynaghs)

Pat Camon (St Rynaghs)

Joseph O’Connor (St Rynaghs)

Conor Clancy (St Rynaghs)

Dermot Shortt (St Rynaghs)

Sean Cleary (Shinrone)

Michael Cleary (Shinrone)

Shane Dooley (Tullamore)

Niall Houlihan (Tullamore)

Stephen Egan (Tullamore)

Gareth Mann (Tullamore)

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

No Del Morkan i see but thats a given considering what happened last year

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

no d morkam, c doughan , s gardner, s coughlan, d kelliher, a tracy . all 6 have a lot to offer offaly now its up to b whelahan to work harder to get these lads back . we need everyone

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

what woulds other lads best 15 out of that panel i'd go with

1 j.dempsey
2 P.Camon
3 E.Murphy
4 S.Egan
5 S.Ryan
6 D.Shortt
7 D.Mooney
8 E.Nolan
9 C.Parlon
10 S.Cleary
11 J.Bergin
12 B.Carroll
13 S.Quirke
14 C.Egan
15 S.Dooley

if you look at that panel there is not a decent midfield player in there its one of the poorest squad i have seen in offaly our lack of good underage players over the last few years is catching up with us now, take Hanniffy and Kenny out of that team and we are poor enough also Del Morkan.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Just as an aside, there is no-one there from outside the Senior Hurling Championship. I'm not saying that's right or wrong myself, but it does seem a little odd that there is no-one from below the top tier. I wonder too are there any Shamrocks players who might be asked in once their run comes to an end?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

flyingsaucer
Junior B

Post by flyingsaucer »

sam88885a wrote:no d morkam, c doughan , s gardner, s coughlan, d kelliher, a tracy . all 6 have a lot to offer offaly now its up to b whelahan to work harder to get these lads back . we need everyone
B whelahan hardly do much work to bring del Morkan back , as he's dropped him from the panel , don't know about these other lads you mentioned .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

sam88885a wrote:no d morkam, c doughan , s gardner, s coughlan, d kelliher, a tracy . all 6 have a lot to offer offaly now its up to b whelahan to work harder to get these lads back . we need everyone

Conor Doughan and Sean Coughlan should be there anyway :?

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Town man- no KK man in your team? Why? Kiely is well able for senior level I think.

Who are the KK and Shamrocks lads to join the squad?

What happened with Del last year should be forgotten about. Bring him in and if he or anyone else for that steps out of line, then let them go. I still think him and Kenny will have a part to play when it comes to championship. Also Treacy & Kelleher not been asked in is a disgrace.

I am delighted to see the likes of Paddy Murphy and Gareth Mann getting a chance. But their are also other lads being left out who should be getting the same chance.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

kaiserchief wrote:Town man- no KK man in your team? Why? Kiely is well able for senior level I think.

What happened with Del last year should be forgotten about. Bring him in and if he or anyone else for that steps out of line, then let them go. I still think him and Kenny will have a part to play when it comes to championship. Also Treacy & Kelleher not been asked in is a disgrace.

I am delighted to see the likes of Paddy Murphy and Gareth Mann getting a chance. But their are also other lads being left out who should be getting the same chance.
The Shamrocks lads for me that would be worth a look would be Nigel Dunne and O " Toole and they have one or two good backs too number 7 whos name I cant think of had a great county final .

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

kaiserchief wrote:What happened with Del last year should be forgotten about. Bring him in and if he or anyone else for that steps out of line, then let them go.
As long as he's made amends with the players and management, then fair enough. However he misled the management with regards to where he was going on a particular day and missed training on account of it. It wasn't a mortal sin but it wasn't something that could be overlooked either. You can't expect people to turn a blind eye and pretend it never happened, that would only encourage a take it or leave it attitude to training, which isn't good enough.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

kingscounty wrote:
kaiserchief wrote:Town man- no KK man in your team? Why? Kiely is well able for senior level I think.

The Shamrocks lads for me that would be worth a look would be Nigel Dunne and O " Toole and they have one or two good backs too number 7 whos name I cant think of had a great county final .
I think the one player from the intermediate champions that would be worth calling in is Jimmy Conway. It was his first year back hurling in a few seasons and he certainly would be worth getting into the panel and few months county training would bring him on. He has plenty of hurling. And the county is short on full backs. Worth giving him a go anyway and see how he progresses. Other than him, I am not sure really if anybody else.

On a side note, Hanniffy, Kenny and Morkham have to be on the panel. Possibly 3 of the best in the county.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

flyingsaucer wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:
kaiserchief wrote:What happened with Del last year should be forgotten about. Bring him in and if he or anyone else for that steps out of line, then let them go.
As long as he's made amends with the players and management, then fair enough. However he misled the management with regards to where he was going on a particular day and missed training on account of it. It wasn't a mortal sin but it wasn't something that could be overlooked either. You can't expect people to turn a blind eye and pretend it never happened, that would only encourage a take it or leave it attitude to training, which isn't good enough.
Lone shark ??????????
timber wrote:
kingscounty wrote:

I think the one player from the intermediate champions that would be worth calling in is Jimmy Conway. It was his first year back hurling in a few seasons and he certainly would be worth getting into the panel and few months county training would bring him on. He has plenty of hurling. And the county is short on full backs. Worth giving him a go anyway and see how he progresses. Other than him, I am not sure really if anybody else.

On a side note, Hanniffy, Kenny and Morkham have to be on the panel. Possibly 3 of the best in the county.
Agree these are 3 key players.

Importantly, do we know that they wish to be involved?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Offaly training panel
Goalkeeper:
James Dempsey (Kinnitty), Kevin O’Connor (Kinnitty), Conor Clancy (St Rynaghs).
Total: 3.
Defender:
Chris McDonald (Brosna Gaels), Niall Wynne (St Rynaghs), Dermot Shortt (St Rynaghs),Michael Cleary (Shinrone), Niall Houlihan (Tullamore), Stephen Egan (Tullamore). James Rigney (Kinnitty), Brian Mulrooney (Seir Kieran), Eanna Murphy (Seir Kieran), Pat Camon (St Rynaghs).
Total: 10
Midfielder.
Sean Ryan (Birr), Brendan Murphy (Birr), Emmet Nolan (Birr), David King (Coolderry), Shane Kinsella (Kinnitty)[, Dermot Mooney (Seir Kieran),
Total: 6
Forward:
Paddy Murphy (Ballinamere), Colin Egan (Belmont), Colm Mulrooney (Birr), James Mulrooney (Seir Kieran), Stephen Wynne (St Rynaghs). Brian Carroll (Coolderry), Cathal Parlon (Coolderry) Kevin Connolly (Coolderry), Joe Bergin (Seir Kieran), Adrian Hynes (Seir Kieran), Stephen Quirke (St Rynaghs), Joseph O’Connor (St Rynaghs), Sean Cleary (Shinrone), Shane Dooley (Tullamore), Gareth Mann (Tullamore).
Total: 15.
Just my opinion on where the players best position are.

Great to see O’Connor and Clancy who are wonderful goalkeeper in the panel.

Defenders: Great to see Egan back and training. Watch him for tullamore and he was his excellent. Happy out to see Shortt, Camon and Murphy back into the panel for the centre positions. Corner backs and wing backs are well covered. Full back and Centre back are still very light. Derek Morkan Conor Doughan and Sean Gardiner should be there. Brian Mulrooney is a good hurler but maybe not the greatest Centre back.
If you can’t get the most committed hurler in Offaly (Morkan) to coming into the Panel your as a management team are doing something very wrong what happen last year was down to the management team mess around with him and he reacted incorrectly. Also disappointed not to see Sean Couglan, Hayes and Kelleher not there. Hayes and Kelleher need to be training and god know Offaly Hurling need these men.

Midfield. Sick over the last number of year of watching Midfielder and Forward trying to play in the defence. Long term Kilmartin and Tracey have to be given a long run in midfield. Which lead to my 1st point. Tracey not in the squad. Hugely Disappointing. But Murphy two year ago was a fine midfielder his progress has stalled somewhat, so maybe this will push him along. King is back and that great news, Mooney, Ryan have been around the county for a while and now it make or break for these lads. Kinsella is a nice midfielder let hope he can step up from club to make a big impact.

Forwards:
Great to see Paddy Murphy, Joseph O’Connor, Gareth Mann and Stephen Wynne there. hard working, excellent team players.

Col, Mulrooney, Adrain Hynes and James Mulrooney are excellent hurlers but can count themselves luck to be in the 34. Every time I seen these lad this year they have been very poor team players, to the point I would call them a drain on their teammates. It great been able to finish off score when your teammate do all the work for you but at inter-county level you have to be willing to fight for your own ball and make sure you don't let your man get easy clearance's. I don’t think any of these 3 lads have showing the wellness to fight for there team mates at club level this year and if they not do the basic right at club level then how can they do it right at inter-county level. They very very lucky to be in the squad.

The rest of the squad pick itself.

Its not a bad squad. Much better than last years but It could be so much better.

I like to see the management team have a few ground rules in the squad this year,
1. No forward or midfielder in the defence and only play player out of position as a last resort.
2. No Sweeper with the wind.
3. If a forward isn’t willing to do his defence work. Then replace him with some who will.
4. If a players isn’t willing willing to work hard. Then replace him with some who will.
5. Its not about keep the the ball, Its about using the ball efficiency.
As for the team going from the Squad named.

James Dempsey
Stephen Egan, Dermot Shortt, Chris McDonald.
James Rigney, Eanna Murphy, Pat Camon
Emmet Nolan, David King
Paddy Murphy, Stephen Wynne, Colin Egan
Stephen Quirke, Joe Bergin, Brian Carroll.

If you add a full fit Kenny At Centre Back, Hanniffy in midfield and Morkan at wing back into that team if they return.

They still a good few from Shamrock and Kilcormac Killoughey to be added to the panel if the management team have any sense but hopefully both Shamrock and Kilcormac Killoughey players won't be available for a long time yet.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

timber wrote:
kingscounty wrote:

Jimmy Conway in his early thirties wouldnt be the way to go, nothing personal but a lad making his county debut in 30s not a great idea

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Fair point buttons but I thought he would be 28 or 29 but u might know better. If a player is good enough why not. But you make a fair point. Unfortunately I think he would be the best of that squad.