Offaly v Kilkenny

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Killeighman
All Star

Re: Offaly v Kilkenny

Post by Killeighman »

That is a quality Offaly line up on paper and hopefully the fire in the belly comes out. One question on the team is Kevin Connolly.... Will we see him sweeping? I think we will but that could be a downfall OR it could be a benefit but it all depends on how kilkenny perform in general.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

if we have a real go at this on Saturday we have the players to shock Kilkenny and Rock Nolan park worse than the storms that took the roof off the stand this winter.
Connelly can wander around the forward line and midfield and break into the space but if he sits 5 yards in front of the full back we could be in big trouble.
Surprise to see Mahon in midfield.
“Common sense is not so common.”

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Looking at Michael fennelly centre forward I think he could cause problems for Del , he is huge man who likes to bull straight down the middle , maybe Healion would match him better for size and strength. Del is very skillful hurler no doubt he will be ready , Egan and Quirke good men to have on the line to bring on . Best of luck to all the players and management , C'mon the Faithful !!!!!

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

It looks like Cody has already looked past the Offaly game with that team.
Let's be honest here we're not exactly well set for an ambush here if the beatings we've taken against Waterford & Clare are anything to go by!! It's a real shame because as Laois & Limerick have proven, the gap between the so called big teams & the minnows is definitely closing, if we ran Kilkenny to within 2 or 3 points there would be a lot of pride restored in Offaly hurling, and while people may argue moral victories are no good...a 20pt + beaten on Saturday certainly won't go well for the future!!
What I don't like hearing is players coming out complaining about training facilities during the year...it's the week of the game, we should either be saying nothing to the media or trying to generate some positive feeling about our chances, what's the point of coming out saying that our training facilities weren't up to scratch, no one cares now, the time to have that big discussion was in January when they were doing hard training...not a few days out from the championship!!
The Untouchable

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

the Untouchable wrote:It looks like Cody has already looked past the Offaly game with that team.
Let's be honest here we're not exactly well set for an ambush here if the beatings we've taken against Waterford & Clare are anything to go by!! It's a real shame because as Laois & Limerick have proven, the gap between the so called big teams & the minnows is definitely closing, if we ran Kilkenny to within 2 or 3 points there would be a lot of pride restored in Offaly hurling, and while people may argue moral victories are no good...a 20pt + beaten on Saturday certainly won't go well for the future!!
What I don't like hearing is players coming out complaining about training facilities during the year...it's the week of the game, we should either be saying nothing to the media or trying to generate some positive feeling about our chances, what's the point of coming out saying that our training facilities weren't up to scratch, no one cares now, the time to have that big discussion was in January when they were doing hard training...not a few days out from the championship!!
A pretty negative approach from Cody if he is already preparing for the qualifiers - although they should do okay there.

I hear ya on what the boys are talking about, but it spares us from hearing all about how mighty Kilkenny are and what a big task this game is and so on and so forth ... would make anyone sick.

I hope the boys are ready to tear into them like there's no tomorrow.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Our half back line will have their work cut out, and it will take a huge effort from our midfield and half forward line to win ball and try to put some pressure on KK backs. Would think that the idea of Mahon in midfield would be that he might drop back under the puck out and help contest with Walsh & Fennelly.
Sorry if this analysis is not up to scratch, but I read 2 full pages in a local paper and saw little better. Have not seen your piece yet LS!
But looking forward to it, best of luck to all.

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

I would imagine mahon was named at midfield to pick up fennelly but now hes listed at centre forward so who knows...i think barry harding will have a huge game he has as much potential as anyone in the country my only worry is if hes picking up walther walsh he might be to physical for him in the air but who knows...interesting to see how connolly goes as an extra man...cody will have his homework done.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

peter Geraghty is to move to midfield with Mahon going into the half forward line.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I have my doubts about Sean Ryan in midfield. He has the physicality but height wise he lacks and i think he could get badly caught out by KK midfield. I would nearly put him in wing forward with Mahon and Geraghty in midfield

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Killeighman wrote:I have my doubts about Sean Ryan in midfield. He has the physicality but height wise he lacks and i think he could get badly caught out by KK midfield. I would nearly put him in wing forward with Mahon and Geraghty in midfield
Ryan is there to pick up Hogan I presume as he is of similar height and Ryan should be well able to stick with Hogan . I suppose we won't know who's where till the ball is thrown in , Kilkenny might not have as many injuries as they say.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

looking at the offaly team i guess s ryan p geraghty and k connolly will all play in midfield with c mahon at half forward. s ryan will try man mark r hogan. that will leave dooley and carroll inside which is a huge risk because ther extra man probably will do more than k connolly .
my big worry is c fennely on j rigney and m fennely on d morkam both fennelys have a huge height advantage.
that is a huge half forward line of reid fennely and w walsh .
will rory last 70 minutes i thought he ran out of steam last year in the last 10 minutes against both kilkenny and waterford rory is a year older has been injured and is at full back now .
it a big ask for a guy in his 14 championship year .
brian whelahan has come up with this system he must think it will work . the league was poor but maybe players understand his system now and offaly will go out and and do themself proud .
best of luck to all involved .

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Let's assume that the teams line out as selected, as Cody is hardly going start doing dummy teams for the likes of Offaly. The Kilkenny half forward line is one that immediately jumps out.

Michael Fennelly vs Del Morkan. Fennelly is the archtypical Cody hurler. Big, physical, direct and plenty of skill. Morkan is the traditional Offaly hurler - snappy wrists, good ball skills but not someone who seeks out physical collisions by default. Morkan will need to pick Fennelly's pocket rather than mug him.

Walter Walsh on the wing. It's fascinating to examine the perception of hurlers at the extreme ends of the size spectrum. I always thought that a lot of the plaudits that Tommy Walsh got were for overcoming a height handicap, rather than being brilliant in his own right. So when he reached up and won a high ball the roar of approval was far greater than if a 6 foot wing back did the exact same thing. Great hurler of course, but I'm not sure his legacy will be as large as Shefflin's or JJ's.

There is something similar for Walter Walsh. There is a pantomime factor to him taking a score. Ha, you expected him to be big, awkward and useless. Look at what's he's just done to ye, yahoo!

TJ Reid, not the complete hurler by any stretch, but nearly always fires over a few points from distance, angles and on the run. Typicaly he's one of Kilkenny's top scorers from play and if Offaly are being punished, he'll probably be dishing out much of the pain.

Midfield is Sean Ryan's best position IMO for him to hunt breaks and broken play. I always felt he was misused as a corner forward where he was operating in tight confines.

I never thought the Rory Hanniffy full back experiment would go to championship, but I'm sure Whelahan has put plenty of thought into it and it isn't a whim. For the historical dimension, remember in 1992 when Whelahan was doing a man marking job on DJ Carey. When Carey was switched in to full forward, Sid moved in to full back.

Really looking forward to it and hoping we'll surprise some of the doubters.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

At least we have goals scoring threats in Dooley and Carroll and then Quirke to come off the bench. If given the final 20 minutes and maybe a tiring cats backline quirke could do damage. Good to get out in front of his man and take a score. I full expect to see Bergin in around the 14,21 at somestage in the game. Can also take his goals when given the opportunity. Peter Geraghty is a sticky character and if placed wing forward could cause trouble for young Padraig Walsh.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Killeighman wrote:At least we have goals scoring threats in Dooley and Carroll and then Quirke to come off the bench. If given the final 20 minutes and maybe a tiring cats backline quirke could do damage. Good to get out in front of his man and take a score. I full expect to see Bergin in around the 14,21 at somestage in the game. Can also take his goals when given the opportunity. Peter Geraghty is a sticky character and if placed wing forward could cause trouble for young Padraig Walsh.
I hope you're right, and that Offaly are in with a chance in the second half. if we go out with the right attitude, who knows what might happen, we won't be given a prayer, so let's give the Cats a right go.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

here feck it, offaly to win by 2 points :D Bergin to score last minute winner wouldn't it be some evening down on Noreside if we pulled off the shock of all shocks....................... :wink: