Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Over The Black Spot
County player

Re: Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

Post by Over The Black Spot »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Fair play for putting that together. I've just one quibble, that is the amount of matches you have for 6pm on the Sunday evening and the scarce resource that is referees. Then again, some of those 6pm games could be moved to 12 noon (and C&R v B-K could be played on the Friday or Saturday).

But still a damn fine effort.
Over The Black Spot wrote:How about this for an effort fellas. Granted there are probably a couple of requests from clubs that had to be adhered to, but it's much more compressed and leaves only one game over for the Monday, which I just can't squeeze in. (I'd put it at 12 noon rahter than later, to at least give lads few hours to do something with the long weekend)

I'd leave Tullamore v Ballinamere on the Friday to let the Intermediate winners open the 2014 championship, and I suspect Brosna Gaels may have issues with the minor football (Danny Spain?) though not sure.
I've edited my earlier post to include referees for all games, based on those I know, and those that are reffing games of a comparable level in this weekends leagues.

Given either the involvement of a higher graded team from one or both of the clubs earlier Sunday, or the use of a clubs venue, I don't think it's possible to move any of the 6pm games, unless changing the day, and I'm conscious of not playing games Friday if possible.

Again, there may be clubs who couldn't play certain days, hence tying Mary Dunnes hands a bit, but this seems a neater, more player-friendly fixture list to me!

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Fair play over the black spot going to so much detail. It just proves that it is manageable. Not easy but very manageable. These Monday fixtures on bank holiday weekends have always been a nuisance as a player in my opinion. Everything that can be done to avoid them, should be.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

timber wrote:Fair play over the black spot going to so much detail. It just proves that it is manageable. Not easy but very manageable. These Monday fixtures on bank holiday weekends have always been a nuisance as a player in my opinion. Everything that can be done to avoid them, should be.
Agreed. Of course there is always the possibility that some clubs had put in certain requests, but with that said, you're probably correct in saying that most players would prefer the schedule you've laid out there. Decent thinking.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Just looking at the junior A hurling championship, group 1 has 8 teams and group 2 has just 6 with coolderry in the group who pulled out of last years championship so it could be down to 5 teams . Surely a reshuffle of the two groups would make better sense , handy enough group for Clara to come out of if it stays as is.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Ballinamere v Tullamore the game of the round haha. Relegation playoff more like. Rynaghs v Birr and Clareen v KK the standout fixtures.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

shannonbanks14 wrote:Ballinamere v Tullamore the game of the round haha. Relegation playoff more like. Rynaghs v Birr and Clareen v KK the standout fixtures.
For pure passion and rivalry it will be the bestone. Wont be much in it.

For the best game of hurling Clareen v KK will hopefully produce the goods!!

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

It's great to be back to this time of year again, and here's hoping for an exciting start to the championship. Unfortunately, herself is dragging me down the country to a wedding, so Kinnitty v Shinrone Sunday evening is my only hope of seeing any action.

Tullamore v Ballinamere
Much depends on what way Tullamore approach this game as, at their best, they should have too much for Ballinamere. The town are traditionally better after the Summer than before it however, and that opens the door for Ballinamere. A mixture of a first taste of Senior hurling, Leinster medals in their back pockets, and the chance to get one over their neighbours might just be enough to get them over the line. In Spollen, Magner, McKeogh and the Murphys, they have some fine hurlers, and combined with Shane Dooleys lack of match practice, I'd expect a narrow victory for the Intermediate champions, but only if they can put a recent big reveral to K/K in the league out of their minds.

Birr v St Rynaghs
A cracking game for the first weekend, and one that will give a good indication as to where each team is heading this year. Rynaghs, word would have it, have a lot of work done, and given their good run in the U21, and the presence of a high-profile manager, I think it's a must win game for them if they are to be serious contenders in October. Birr have a number of injuries, and with their underage well running drier than the oppositions, they'll probably be more concerned with events in the Autumn, when they have a full panel to pick from. A Rynaghs win.

Kilcormac-Killoughey v Seir Kieran
Two sides that usually produce a good game, and this should be no different. K/K have turned into a serious outfit since their maiden County final win, while Clareen have been a coming team for a few years now. Unfortunately for the black and amber, they don't seem to be moving onto the next level, and I'd expect that K/K will get off to a winning start with 4 or 5 to spare. There's generally no quarter asked or given when these sides meet though, and they can run up big scores between them, so if you're only going to one game this weekend, I'd make it this one.

Belmont v Brosna Gaels
Generally speaking, I'd plump for Belmont in this one, but the continuing absence of David Kenny has to be a leveller of sorts. I see the Tribune also has Colin Egan in the doubtful bracket, but I suspect this may be a little white lie for the neighbours to mull over for the next few days. If true, it's Brosna Gaels for me. If not, Belmonts pace up front might just be enough to get them over the line by a point or 2.

Coolderry v Drumcullen
Coolderry, all day every day. The Sash are producing a couple of youngsters each year now, but Coolderrys experience and class will make it very hard for them to make a meaningful impression. They will try hard though, but Coolderrys liking for goals against teams they have the better of could leave them open to a hiding, but I hope not, as that won't do them any good. In fact, it wouldn't do Coolderry any good either, as we've seen in past years they should be saving some of the goals they get in May and June for when the evenings start to close in!

Shinrone v Kinnitty
Shinrone start another year with high hopes of glory, and this should be a good indication as to their hopes. Kinnitty lack a bit of something when it comes to taking on the top sides, but they usually produce a good performance, based on tough tackling at the back, and plenty of movement up front. They'll test Shinrone, but with the Clearys, Doughans and Morkans on duty, I'll go for Shinrone by a couple of pucks of the ball.

Intermediate Championship
A couple of games stand out. Lusmagh return to the Intermediate ranks, and it will be interesting to see how they react with a young side. Similarly so their opening weekend opponents, Shamrocks, who are in their second year away from Senior, and will need to make a statement first time up if they're to make a push promotion. Not sure how either team is going, but Lusmagh won a recent league clash between these two, so I'll give them a tentative nod.
'Skenaghavailla seem to have made a relatively decent atart to their second year together, and will be hoping to dismiss Carrig with ease, which they will have to in order to be serious contenders for honours.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I enjoyed Spot’s preview, which covered most angles. Rather than rehash that (as I don’t have alot to add), I’ll come at it from a different angle.
Simply, what are the questions the Senior clubs have to answer if they are to achieve their targets for the year?

Ballinamere
Can they rediscover the spirit of last autumn? Recent Intermediate winners haven’t really made an impact at Senior grade in recent years, with the possible exception of Brosna Gaels. Other hand, Ballinamere are the only club to win a Leinster title. The Tullamore match will make or break them and though they won the U21 title in 2011, losing to Tullamore twice at the grade since doesn’t bode well for their prospects tomorrow night.

Belmont
Are they underachieving? One of Offaly’s most exciting teams, there’s never a dull moment watching them. Solid backs, pacy forwards (David Cox is generally good for a goal and a few points), good goalkeeper in Barry Egan, David Kenny at 6, Colin Egan wherever he is needed, fetching ball and scoring goals, I think they should have made a semi-final by now. David Kenny’s absence is a big handicap and they really need to get a win over Brosna Gaels on Friday night.

Birr
Can the new generation help them become regular title challengers again? Let’s face it, their quarter-final win over Shinrone last year was down to the losers’ lethargy, and St Rynagh’s were awful in the semi-final. The St Brendan’s U21s were rudderless too. With Paul Cleary unavailable due to injury and the Whelahans getting older, Brian Mullins can lead only so much from the goals. Colm Mulrooney is important to them but his grip-changing style will tell later on against the stronger teams. If they do advance beyond the quarter-final it will probably be due to their psychological edge over most middle-ranking teams.

Brosna Gaels
Can they find a reliable and permanent goalkeeper, and can the youth development sector keep producing? Conor Robbins had looked the part but he was abroad last year. A year older, Danny Spain will be important to them. They have strong, competitive forwards but the inability to score from long range makes it difficult to raise more than 10 white flags per game.

Coolderry
Would Ken Hogan have stayed on if he thought they were spent? I think not. Eoin Ryan should be right following a lengthy rehab, Kevin Connolly will likely be corner-forward with Cathal Parlon at 14. They have the forwards to score (goals and points), the defenders to keep the opposition out, strength (Brady x 2, Corcorans), style, speed, belief. Damien Murray may be abroad but Brian Carroll is a consistent freetaker. Without the interruption of injuries they had last year, they will likely face K-K in either a semi-final or the Final itself, and for what it’s worth they are my tip for the title.

Drumcullen
Not a question, as such, but worth pointing out that they conceded hardly any frees in the latter stages of last year’s championship. Stuck for numbers, that they prevailed in last year’s relegation Final without Conor Gath should be ample encouragement. Emigration has hit hard (Drumcullen being in the Banagher Concrete hinterland) and Coolderry won’t spare them in Round 1. Still, they will target Belmont and Brosna Gaels for the wins to see them through, where, if David Kenny is still absent through injury,the desired result is possible.

KIlcormac-Killoughey
Can they keep it going for another tough year? Losing pre-Christmas to Oulart will now stand to them and the resultant freshness will be a huge asset. Boasting the biggest panel by far, they would be much better able to cope with a raft of injuries than any other, unlike Coolderry last year. Other hand, losing a Healion from the defensive spine would be irreplaceable. Still, Dylan Murray is ready to step up. And Con Mahon will be set to play a more central role than last year when he played the latter part of the year at corner-back. Also on a run of 12 straight SHC wins, which is not yet a record but is not far off. Will almost certainly reach the semi-final, and will almost certainly face Coolderry sometime in the knockout stages. Then it will be K-K’s forwards’ ability to win their own ball versus Coolderry’s forward movement and pace. To be revisited in September.

Kinnitty
Will Stephen Molloy ever be the hurler he was again? Molloy has had a terrible time with injuries stretching back a few years now. With no shortage of 5’8” forwards, Kinnitty looked to Molloy for leadership and he generally obliged. Sunday’s match with Shinrone (which is very much winnable) will tell alot about their wellbeing, and Cúchulainn Gaels’ U21 run will have helped. A defensive spine with Andrew Browne and James Rigney at 3 and 6 (not necessarily in that order), with Paddy and Tommy Rigney and Brian Coughlan, will be hard to break down. Kinnitty seem to win up to 10 scoreable frees a match, which are generally converted, so they are doing something right.

Seir Kieran
Can they hurl a full game at full pelt more than once a year? And can they beat the boys from town (Birr)? It is six years since they won the U21 title, and reached a few finals since too. They need Tom Carroll and James Mulrooney to contribute much more to their attack than previously, and performing in the second half of a match (as opposed to the first, or rather, as well as the first) would be a starting point. The two Hyneses are much more dependable attackers. Also boast the best goalkeeper in club hurling in the county. They ain’t a ‘young’ team no more and with a full team to pick from could go a long way.

Shinrone
With two of their three (which is alot) bogey teams in their group, will they have the desire and will-to-win to gain at least one win over either Birr or St Rynagh’s? With the talent at their disposal they should reach a semi-final. Yet, Sunday’s game with Kinnitty could make or break their year. Lose that, then lose to Tullamore and they are championship goners. The Doughans and Joe Cleary will be a massive addition to their defence. Cleary is a good goalkeeper. More and more forwards can win their own ball but they don’t score enough goals. You just never know when they will put the hands on the hips and decide that’s enough for this year.

St Rynagh’s
Can they select their best 15, and in the right positions? And in the right positions? Backboned by Banagher College’s 2010 All-Ireland winning team, and with the school’s coach now on board. A solid goalkeeper (the best after Clareen’s Coughan), Dermot Shortt at 6 and flanked by Pat Camon, Niall Wynne in his best position at 2, Stephen Quirke picking off goals and points, Joey O’Connor injury-free and flying at midfield. They’ve got alot going for them and may well yet win the U21 title. Trouble is the pressure they are put under every time they hurl, the comparisons with heroes of a time before they were born, all provide a needless distraction. Probable semi-finalists, if they are injury free and settled they could trouble Coolderry and K-K in September.

Tullamore
Can they find another forward or two? And a centre half-back? Five years on since 2009, Shane Dooley will score goals and points, but after that? Brendan Dagg, now abroad, is a massive loss. Still, a pair of wins (they will target Ballinamere and the loser of Shinrone v Kinnitty) will see them finish fourth. That may well happen but last year they were well short against St Rynagh’s, who were well short against Birr, who were well short against K-K.

Lick the finger, stick it in the air. I’m going for Coolderry, Kilcormac-Killoughey, St Rynagh’s and Shinrone to reach the O’Connor Park semi-finals, with Coolderry to regain the Seán Robbins Cup.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Great posts OTBS AND POTH, well done, cheers. Anybody got a similar insight into the inter hurling championship and where clubs are at?

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

I dont know why so many people write of birr year after year...u look at the team they have the average age is 25..there crippled with injuries...there not winning underage titles but there gettin one young lad a year and that keeps things ticking over..tonight they will be without paul cleary micheal verney brendan murphy...and rory hannify and sean ryan are just back but give birr credit themselves kk and coolderry are still ahead of every other team in the county and thats the reality.so dont try put belmont or clareen in the same bracket as them...birr dismantled clareen at ease last year and im stuggling to remember when clareen beat them last...and if you have a team sole dependent on joe bergin winning a county final you will be waiting a while to win a county final because we are all aware joe doesnt like hurling a full 60 mins.i think kk are ahead with birr and coolderry just behind..then you have clareen shinron bangher after that noone else will challenge.i just think give the team credit alot of stuff went on with past managers theres a good bond there with johnny p if you write them off you write them off at your pearl..if they get everyone fit..and maybe e hayes back to tighten up the full back line there in with a big shout..if you look at the players they have b mullins,b harding,p cleary,s ryan,r hannify,m verney,b watkins.,d hayden no other team has a spine like that..throw in tom bolger c mulrooney e nolan and p mullins teams should be fearful

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

great post over the black spot ,
I agree with almost everything u said but i think kk will be even stronger this year with j grogan and mc convale back then add in d murry c kiely e grogan c mahon some good hurlers will be dropped .
THEY beat all teams last year by at least 6 points i think without those guys .
If the dont retain the title it will be down to themselves and lack of hunger .
i honestly think the pain of loosing so much before the made the breakthrough will keep there eye on the ball along with danny owens view that this is their time and to make the most of it because it wont last forever.
kk to beat st rynagh or coolderry in the final

Observant 7
Junior A
Club: Kinnitty

Post by Observant 7 »

sam88885a wrote:great post over the black spot ,
I agree with almost everything u said but i think kk will be even stronger this year with j grogan and mc convale back then add in d murry c kiely e grogan c mahon some good hurlers will be dropped .
THEY beat all teams last year by at least 6 points i think without those guys .
If the dont retain the title it will be down to themselves and lack of hunger .
i honestly think the pain of loosing so much before the made the breakthrough will keep there eye on the ball along with danny owens view that this is their time and to make the most of it because it wont last forever.
kk to beat st rynagh or coolderry in the final
I think its the fitness trainer who made the difference with Kilcormac and as long a KK don't get too sure of themselves and lads played in right positions etc etc they could do it again they have some of the best of hurlers.
Just thinking and agreeing with babsandbond that Birr have great hurlers and I think J Pilkington is doing a good job with them - could it be their fitness that needs a step up?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

as a Birrman i agree with babsandbond Birr are still in the top 3 in offaly not the kingpins they once were but i don't think we will see a club side in offaly again like the Birr teams of the 90's to early 2000's . Birr still have a spine of a good side with Breeder Mullins in between the posts for his 19th year time is flying its only like yesterday Robbie Shields was the Birr number 1.

anyway where Birr have fallen short over the last 5 years is the forward line they have came up short in last years county final and 2012 semil final in the forwards, Gary Hanniffy, Paul O'Meara, Stephen Brown, Simon Whelehan ( age) Liam Power, Declan Piklington, Molly, were never replaced and they lads who have hurl the last few years just haven't been good enough to win county titles.
i'd like to see Rory Hanniffy in the forward line this year if not we will be in big trouble. Cleary Hayden,Watkins, Barry Harding , Brendan Murphy, will have to hurl to their best if we are to be near the county final day this year. K/K are still the side to beat and have the squad and young talent coming up to keep them at the top. Coolderry i though were a let down last year and have gone back a fair bit since their all ireland run, there still could be a kick left in them if they get their best 15 out and fit i like POTH could see them win the county again they have the forwards to do it.

the rest Rynaghs, Clareen, Shinrone, tullamore, Kinnitty, will all have their moments with Rynaghs and Shinrone winning underage the last few years will be looking to break into the top two this year. so look no futher than K/K, Coolderry, Birr, for sean robbins winners 2014, dark horse Rynaghs if they get their act together and all reading off the same sheet.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Act has been got together, much better manager than last year, wont fear anyone, hon the saints!!

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Ballinamere 0-17 Tullamore 1-12
Ballinamere deserved the victory when they scored the last 2 points in the last minute and first minute of injury time. Tullamore started with Dooley in midfield and must have hit about 8 -10 wides in the first half compared to Ballinamere who scored with nearly all attacks with Dooley frees helping Tullamore. Ballinamere lead at half time by a point or two. It was in the second half that the team drove on and went 5 up with about 10 minutes left but a Dooley goal, point from play and free levelled it up with 2 minutes left. Dooley played on the edge of the square in second half and didnt really do much all match. Ballinamere then went ahead with a Paddy Murphy free and Murphy point from play secured the victory with the last puck.

Paddy Murphy for a young lad stood out and seeing how well he played last year should be on the Offaly panel, Nicolas Minnock played well and Kevin Mealiff was immense in the middle of the field. Tullamore backs played well even with conceding 0-17 but there forwards allowed the ball to be driven back too easily